Help with the installation of antix 19.2 base

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-19 “Marielle Franco, Hannie Schaft, Manolis Glezos” Help with the installation of antix 19.2 base

• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Jan 2-6:15 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

I’m trying to give some life to an old ARMADA M700 installing antiX 19.2 base.
    I created a CD from the iso that works perfectly on modern HW, but on the ARMADA
    startx fails with the message :
    Screens found, but none have a usable configuration
    I’ tried tinkering with xorg.conf but I just do not have the required knowledge…
    Hope someone can help…thanks in advance

btw: I know trying to revive such an old machine is nonsense, but (for me)
    it is a lot of fun, and antiX is perfect for this task…

skidooskidoo

Your best course of action might be a websearch, using the verbatim errormessage as querystring.

Screens found, but none have a usable configuration

or

ARMADA M700 Screens found, but none have a usable configuration

or

solved linux ARMADA M700 Screens found, but none have a usable configuration

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=185894
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/203776/x-fail-screens-found-but-none-have-a-usable-configuration
    p5000-screen-s-found-but-none-have-a-usable-configuration-on-lenovo-p71-with-rhel7-4/54733

capreacaprea

Did you try the options “Save Video Mode” or “Failsafe” , accessible via one of the F-keys ?
    Is this your laptop
    https://www.cnet.com/products/compaq-armada-m700-14-1-pii-win95-64-mb-ram-10-gb-hdd-series/

It’s quite old hardware then , eg. a Pentium II.
    If this is a fun-project it’s might possible to try the cli-installer and look if it installed works
    https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/antix-19-live-cd-does-not-boot-to-graphics-screen-on-thinkpad-600e/

XecureXecure

Hi.
    Yes, please follow caprea’s advice. Try Safe Video or Failsafe option.

If it doesn’t boot, maybe it is related to the new firmware or xorg drivers. See if you are luckier with antiX 17, which is still supported.

It’s not nonsense. I do this all the time.

But do try antiX 17 first. It may work on that old equipment better than version 19. If antiX-17 works then we can go from there. If you get antiX to boot please share your “inxi -Fxzr” output.

seaken64

First, thank you to all the people that answered, I am surprised for receiving good quality support in so short time!
    Unfortunately I did not find useful answers from the web and Safe Video Mode did not resolve (they were good suggestions anyhow).
    I will now try antiX 17, in the mean time I post here the “inxi -Fxzr” output as suggested by seaken64.

The Xorg is not getting a driver for your AMD Rage Mobility AGP 2x. This is probably fixable by editing your xorg.conf file. Let’s see if antiX-17 loads a driver. It uses an earlier xorg version.

seaken64

Thank you seaken64, I followed your advice and installed antiX-17 with success. Maybe I’ ll try antiX-19 with xorg.conf copied from antiX-17.
    I like antiX, and even more its very efficient community!!

Brian MasinickBrian Masinick

@lvaghi: You can indeed copy your xorg.conf from an existing, previously working system.

An idea is to grab a solid copy of it, store it somewhere, either in a home directory, the cloud, or somewhere that can be easily retrieved. Then when you need it on another newly installed instance, you can take your known working copy and apply it. The only other consideration is to make sure that there are not any device name changes or anything else that would introduce yet another issue; again, keep copies of everything, and also back up whatever is being changed, so you can *reverse* anything that does not work to your complete satisfaction.

Brian Masinick

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.