herbe (Notifications)

Forum Forums General Software herbe (Notifications)

• This topic has 11 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Dec 12-9:23 pm by userzero.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    manyroads

Has anyone gotten herbe to work on antiX. It should be VERY light and quick, assumng it can be made to work.

http://github.com/dudik/herbe#installation

Pax vobiscum,
      Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
      "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
      dwm-hlwm-i3wm-spectrwm-swau-dk ~Reg. Linux User #449130
      20 Jan 2021 ~ "End of an Error"

Anonymous
        cd /tmp
        git clone http://github.com/dudik/herbe
        cd /tmp/herbe
        cp config.def.h config.h
        make

copy the resulting executable (/tmp/herbe/herbe) to any directory listed in your $PATH
        or
        to immediately run herbe, for sake of testing, you can:
        $ /tmp/herbe/herbe “mom sez: CLEAN YER ROOM!”

ModdIt

manyroads, skidoo,
          many thanks, manyroads for tip, skidoo for instructions.

this looks like the best tool I have seen to date for reminding users to update,
          auto updating user systems gives me the heebies, accept or reject a notification
          “should not be too difficult”. ;-) speaking as the plane crashes. See ACAS.

Regarding $PATH Useful info for anyone unsure like me
          #http://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-add-directories-to-your-path-in-linux/
          #http://www.howtogeek.com/658904/how-to-add-a-directory-to-your-path-in-linux/

PPC

@Dev team – I did not try to “install” Herb (just run it from “temp”, like skidoo showed), but I read it’s github page, and noticed it has a patch that allows notify-send to work with this notification software…
            Since it’s described as not not being memory resident, and tiny, could it be a worthy addition to antiX (either by default or as a package, including the notify-send patch, available in package installer)? It would add to antiX’s features, without costing any system resources…

@skidoo:
            I think there was one line missing in your instructions (also, to anyone else try out this, you have to have “git” installed in your system, if you don’t already do a “sudo apt install git” before trying skiddo’s instructions):

cd /tmp
            git clone http://github.com/dudik/herbe
            cd herbe
            cp config.def.h config.h
            make

P.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by PPC.
            ModdIt

Thanks PPC,
              what you saw is why I am sometimes a lousy tester, I will be more careful to try not to assume anything
              and follow instructions exactly using a freshly updated download. Had i done so Fail.
              I guess for skidoo it is also automatic to cd to temp. Git – did not check if it is in the distro, added so
              long ago I had forgotten that.

Agree, if it proves reliable addition to antix would be nice. Planned for kids.

manyroads

Okay so I am missing something… here’s what happens when I do things:

mark@antix19:/tmp
                $ git clone http://github.com/dudik/herbe
                Cloning into 'herbe'...
                remote: Enumerating objects: 38, done.
                remote: Counting objects: 100% (38/38), done.
                remote: Compressing objects: 100% (35/35), done.
                remote: Total 224 (delta 19), reused 10 (delta 3), pack-reused 186
                Receiving objects: 100% (224/224), 151.65 KiB | 952.00 KiB/s, done.
                Resolving deltas: 100% (116/116), done.
                mark@antix19:/tmp
                $ cd herbe
                mark@antix19:/tmp/herbe
                $ cp config.def.h config.h
                mark@antix19:/tmp/herbe
                $ make
                cc herbe.c -Wall -Wextra -pedantic -lX11 -lXft -I/usr/include/freetype2 -pthread -o herbe
                In file included from herbe.c:1:
                /usr/include/X11/Xlib.h:38:10: fatal error: sys/types.h: No such file or directory
                   38 | #include <sys/types.h>
                      |          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
                compilation terminated.
                make: *** [Makefile:12: herbe] Error 1

btw. I am running on the Debian testing branch.

Pax vobiscum,
                Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
                "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
                dwm-hlwm-i3wm-spectrwm-swau-dk ~Reg. Linux User #449130
                20 Jan 2021 ~ "End of an Error"

Xecure

Did you install the build dependencies?
                  sudo apt install libx11-dev libXft-dev

antiX Live system enthusiast.
                  General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

Anonymous

> could it be a worthy addition to antiX

sure, some day, when it matures.
                    As is, the utility does not accept commandline options nor does it read prefs from a configfile.
                    Font, size, position, duration, bg/fg colors… all parameters are hardcoded, necessitating
                    edit config.h, then recompile” in order to change any of the attributes.

Brian Masinick

Sounds like something with potential, but it appears to be at “prototype” quality. Hard coding anything is a no-no from a good coding practice perspective; I agree with you Skidoo.

--
                      Brian Masinick

Xecure

Sounds like something with potential, but it appears to be at “prototype” quality. Hard coding anything is a no-no from a good coding practice perspective;

Many suckless tools/programs are like this. Because of limits auto-imposed on them, suckless programs are about simplicity and frugality, not about customization. Modifying the program requires patching or changing the code and re-compiling the project. It is not about prototype state, but about their development philosophy.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
                        General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

Brian Masinick

Maybe so, in that case it’s not something remotely likely to be a part of antiX.

“Suckless”, as you call it, is what I refer to as a template; it’s not even a prototype, it’s something that you can hack, but in that case, why use something that you compile, why not build it in Python, Perl, Ruby or anything that doesn’t have to be recompiled every time it is changed?

--
                          Brian Masinick

userzero

Has anyone gotten herbe to work on antiX. It should be VERY light and quick, assumng it can be made to work.

http://github.com/dudik/herbe#installation

Yes, I use it on Debian Stable.

$ make
                            cc herbe.c -Wall -Wextra -pedantic -lX11 -lXft -I/usr/include/freetype2 -pthread -o herbe
                            In file included from herbe.c:1:
                            /usr/include/X11/Xlib.h:38:10: fatal error: sys/types.h: No such file or directory
                            $apt install apt-file
                            “The system-wide cache is empty. You may want to run 'apt-file update'
                            as root to update the cache.”
                            >_ apt-file search X11/Xlib.h
                            ivtools-dev: /usr/include/IV-X11/Xlib.h   
                            libghc-x11-dev: /usr/lib/haskell-packages/ghc/lib/x86_64-linux-ghc-8.4.4/X11-1.9-4LlBmptidprBzBXJCyaiH5/Graphics/X11/Xlib.hi
                            libhugs-x11-bundled: /usr/lib/hugs/packages/X11/Graphics/X11/Xlib.hs
                            libnx-x11-dev: /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/nx-X11/Xlib.h
                            libx11-dev: /usr/include/X11/Xlib.h
                            python-pycparser: /usr/share/python-pycparser/fake_libc_include/X11/Xlib.h
                            python3-pycparser: /usr/share/python3-pycparser/fake_libc_include/X11/Xlib.h

Package: stterm (0.8.2-1)
                            No thanks. I prefer to edit a config.h.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by userzero.
                          Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.