Herbstluftwm: Reactivate Conky, Rox Menu and panel?

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-21/22 “Grup Yorum” Herbstluftwm: Reactivate Conky, Rox Menu and panel?

• This topic has 12 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Nov 22-6:44 am by Anonymous.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    robert-m64

Hi, I just tested the herbstluftwm tiling window manager. For mouse haters a great option (on other systems, I use Pop OS and spectrwm).
      The defaults are fine and similar to other tiling WMs (although I personally prefer e.g. Mod+t for opening a Terminal).
      Big advantage of herbstluftwm over spectrwm: the use of the Panel (e.g. for running applets such as Nextcloud.).
      For testing, I deactivated the Standard-WM functions.
      Now: how can I re-activate them? I cannot identify a (commented) entry in the .config/herbstluftwm/autostart file.
      Best regards, Robert

Xecure

Conky and the startup script are provided by desktop-session. You said:

For testing, I deactivated the Standard-WM functions.

How did you do the previous? Are you starting herbstluftwm from tty, from a different login-manager or indirectly? Starting it from slimski or from the other-desktops menu/window should start
        /usr/local/bin/desktop-session herbstluftwm

antiX Live system enthusiast.
        General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

robert-m64

I changed the Desktop from the Mouse-Menu; After starting herbstluftwm, a dialog appears in a split window, asking if the Rox panel and menu should be kept. After disabling them, the herbstluftwm session is ‘clean’.

robert-m64

I changed the Desktop from the Mouse-Menu; After starting herbstluftwm, a dialog appears in a split window, asking if the Rox panel and menu should be kept. After disabling them, the herbstluftwm session is ‘clean’.

Xecure

As far as I know, the window pop-up is for you to switch back to a different desktop-session. Do you mean this? To return to a rox-icewm or zzz-fluxbox desktop session?

You can enable the warning pop-up in ~/.desktop-session/desktop-session.conf
              #Session other desktops window
              #This is to set the other desktops window to pop up or not.
              #true = pop up
              #false = no pop up
              OTHER_DESKTOPS_WINDOW="true"

If this isn’t what you are talking about, then I am missing the message here. Could you elaborate a bit more?

antiX Live system enthusiast.
              General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

christophe

If you are asking how to get back to the antiX default desktop, just logout (Ctl+Mod+q). Then once at login manager, press F1 till you get to the Rox-Icewm option, then log back in.

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2019

christophe

If you are asking how to start conky In herbstluftwm – add “conky &” (no quotes) to the autostart file.

There’s a recommended area called “daemons ‘n’ stuff” near the top of the file. Add it near that.
                  If you want other things like rox panel, you can add those things too.

christophe

“asking if the Rox panel and menu should be kept.”

No menu is available for herbstluftwm, like icewm has. I think that popup message is as much of a warning as a choice…

(Warning you to turn back now, if you will be lost without those helpful items.)

You could find & add (install) other programs to facilitate a menu. But antiX does not provide one in the initial setup, except dmenu (Mod+d). Of course, App-Select (app-select) is also installed, and you could assign it a key-combination…

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by christophe.

robert-m64

Thanks for all your answers!

I misunderstood the desktop question window. This is in reality a window manager switcher!
                      Toggled in the ~/.desktop-session/desktop-session.conf (thanks to @Xecure!):
                      ~~~
                      #Session other desktops window
                      #This is to set the other desktops window to pop up or not.
                      #true = pop up
                      #false = no pop up
                      OTHER_DESKTOPS_WINDOW=”true”
                      ~~~

Also thanks to @christophe about his comments on starting programs in herbstluftwm!

At the end, herbstluftwm works very similar to spectrwm <http://github.com/conformal/spectrwm#readme&gt;. For now, I stay with spectrwm, because I’m used to it and find it basic, but fast and straight-forward.

Forum Admin
                      anticapitalista

spectrwm is an excellent tiling windows manager.
                        I used it for a while before discovering herbstluftwm.
                        I actually thought of including it on antiX in the past as it uses sane defaults.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

olsztyn

spectrwm is an excellent tiling windows manager.
                          I used it for a while before discovering herbstluftwm.

I am curious what was the difference that made you choose herbstluftwm over spectrwm for inclusion in antiX…
                          To me both are relying on dynamically reading in their config files during startup. From the standpoint of WM being an interface (to the system user) of the system, this is a convenience but also a weakness. IMHO from this tiling group of WMs only DWM is rock solid interface as config file is pre-compiled into one monolithic object.
                          This mu conjecture was recently confirmed by testing impact of Badwolf browser, which under certain circumstances was able to crash both IceWM and sometimes Herbsluftwm, but not able to crash DWM in my testing.
                          As a tiling WM, DWM may seem less convenient for casual configuration than Herbstluftwm since it requires re-compilation, but on the other hand the way it is configured by default it already has all the effective and practical features built in, in excess of the default features in Herbstluftwm. Additional re-configuration is an easy re-compilation of DWM C code, including a modified config file.
                          Regardless of my argumentation in favor of DWM, these tiling WMs are not commonly popular among typical users accustomed to a more Windows-like environment. However from my experience most all our WMs proved to be fragile, caused to crash by Badwolf test, except DWM, which stood up straight, alive and responsive every time.
                          Just my two cents…

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
                          http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

Anonymous

I tried a Reactivate Conky was just to painful then I found py3status http://github.com/ultrabug/py3status.
                            This works great with my i3 and sway with conky commands. And conky is non sway compatible. I will also be setting it up with dk WM too.

i3-G
                            status_command py3status -c ~/.config/py3status/config
                            Part of the code

conky mpd {
                                 format = ' \?color=#00bfff ﱘ '
                                 format += '[ \?color=#999999 ({mpd_status}) {mpd_smart 50} {mpd_elapsed} / {mpd_length} ]'
                             }
                            conky cpu {
                                format = ' \?color=#00bfff  '
                                format += '[ \?color=#999999 {cpu cpu0} % {hwmon 1 temp 1}° ]'
                                format += '[\?color=#999999 {cpu cpu1} % {hwmon 1 temp 2}° ]'
                                format += '[\?color=#999999 {cpu cpu2} % {hwmon 1 temp 3}° ]'
                                format += '[\?color=#999999 {cpu cpu3} % {hwmon 1 temp 4}° ]'
                                format += '[\?color=#999999 ({freq_g})Hz ]'

http://scrot.cloud/image/py3bar-scrot.BFCtU

Why won’t the full post screen open ?

Anonymous

By the way this runs great with pure wayland. Where conky itself is completely non-compatible with wayland..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.