Hey antiXers! I've Come to Rock antiX with You!

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX Hey antiXers! I've Come to Rock antiX with You!

Tagged: 

• This topic has 4 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Oct 20-6:19 am by olsztyn.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hey antiXers!

After toying with antiX (17.4) and other LBOSes (Linux-based OSes) for a couple of weeks, especially what I call eye candy distros (Manjaro, ArcoLinuxB, endeavorOS, elementaryOS, MX-18.3) and slimmer ones (BionicPuppy, FatDog64, Slax, Porteus Mate), I settled on an install-to-HDD once I found antiX-19b3.

After a couple of Microsoft Windows 10 forced update screw-ups (the first one moved my data files to a new user account; the second one failed and put my machine into a coma), I knew I could put Linux on a stick from my days of toying with Puppy (circa 2010) as well as Knoppix and Damn Small Linux (circa 2001) to see if my data files (pictures, music, writings, etc.) were safe.

I knew also I could put the WIN 10 ISO to a stick and install again Windows because MS tracks all previous licensed installs by machine address.

I had thought about burning the MS WIN 10 ISO to a stick, but while awaiting for Amazon to deliver a USB 5-pack, I read more about the latest developments of Linux on distrowatch.com and other easy sites (lifewire, gHacks, mechtecheaser) and some more techy-oriented. I took some notes.

It was then I decided then I would give Linux another shot. I settled on lightweight ones, BionicPuppy and antiX-17.4. Also in the downloads were Bodhi, Lite, Sparky, Zorin and BionicDog. While waiting for those sticks my excitement for a LBOS grew.

Well, never did I get around to trying that latter roster because antiX-17.4 was too good out of the gate. I tried afterward the eye candy ones to see if I was missing anything. Those are simply too heavy, too constricting, too old paradigm.

During my two-week adventure, and having used cross-platform apps (Yandex and Dissenter Chromium-based browsers, VS Code), I made some key discoveries on my third time with Linux (note: Along with my 2010 and 2001 experiences, I tried Red Hat in 1996, but that failed on the extant hardware). Getting the AppImage of VS Codium (the no-telemetry version of VS Code), with symlinks and workspaces, it flashed before my eyes—like the browser having become the main UI—VS Codium is the all-everything for files. Right away, I turned it into a tree-based note taker. With that, I could ditch CherryTree and Geany. Why use a single-tasking tool (CherryTree) when one can use a multi-tasker?

Also in my adventure of using antix-17.4 and getting up-to-speed on the command line, mounting, package management, AppImage vs Flatpak and Snap, symlinks, Rox, Fluxbox, getting media keys to work and a host of other things, I discovered that “community” might be the most overused, wrongly used word in English, especially by the Linux world. There are no communities, there are only tribes, insular tribes with stubborn views of things. Most are quite childish (e.g., the Archers, aka Arch Linux tribe), people who believe they should be rewarded with awe because they have memorized things rather than having natural insight into things.

Anyway, I plan to respin this antiX into something that turns a computer into a productivity machine. Here is a hint: Most OSes, e.g., Microsoft Windows, macOS, and the eye candy distros (e.g., elementaryOS, Manjaro, Ubuntu, et. al, keep people focused on using the computer, i.e., “what is the app to do X?” rather than getting done stuff.

Yet, done right, all of that can fade into the background, which should let the computer become a container for a work-focused / activity-focused approach.

Using ROX the right way lets one do that. The same holds true with using the browser or something like VS Codium with markdown files.

The Linux World has come into its own, truly. There are neat possibilities, like using FUSE (filesystems in user space) to create app, maybe like a Tiddlywiki (tiddlywiki.com) using markdown files in a tree inside a ROX directory.

On a side note: Putting on a partition 17.4 in a frugal install, my remastered Live USB would not do a full install on the same partition. After booting up the first time with antiX but before the frugal install, I set up the box with a swap (primary), ext4 (primary) and a NTFS (primary). Later, I let ArcoLinuxB cut that ext4 primary in half for its install.

Later still, I turned it into an extended container with a few virtual (aka logical) partitions, one of which is where antix-19b3 sits as a full install.

Anyway, there is much more to come. I’m considering blogging and bitchuting about my antiX and Linux experience from the viewpoint of practical people who use computers as means to an end (e.g., android-based phones, set-top boxes, thermostats) rather than the means being the end, if you catch my meaning. I will let you know URLs and such if that happens.

I welcome all of you to my antiX journey.

• This topic was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by JohnGritt.
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

Welcome!

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Forum Admin
    rokytnjirokytnji

Howdy and Welcome. Sounds like a plan.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

dghdgh

Greetings and please allow me to give you a weird thanks for a good chuckle this morning; this is the kind of typo that puts a smile on my face:

and other easy sites (lifewire, gHacks, mechtecheaser )

For a split second my mind went here:
    https://mechtechsys.com/

You settled upon a great distribution. There are lots of fly-by-night linux projects out there and this isn’t one of them. The people who put antiX together know their stuff and can actually answer questions, devise solutions, etc..

Anyway, I plan to respin this antiX into something that turns a computer into a productivity machine. Here is a hint: Most OSes, e.g., Microsoft Windows, macOS, and the eye candy distros (e.g., elementaryOS, Manjaro, Ubuntu, et. al, keep people focused on using the computer, i.e., “what is the app to do X?” rather than getting done stuff.

Yet, done right, all of that can fade into the background, which should let the computer become a container for a work-focused / activity-focused approach.

Having read your history with Win and Linux and your objective as quoted above I would be very much interested in your subsequent experience. My objective is productivity machine (for typical need) as well and I have ended up with antiX as fulfilling such requirement, with no respin needed to accomplish such objective:
    – I found antiX is a dexterous full featured OS, however all of typical eye candy and extraneous fat cut out of the way of productivity objective. So your productivity apps (such as standard Web Office and others) can be seamlessly integrated and such OS itself is a vehicle delivering such productivity rather than being a toy and objective in itself as most other distros.
    – Myriad of Live and Frugal tools nicely integrated into the system (very dexterous and thoughtful) allow such fully configured OS (along with all the productivity apps included) to be easily (!) integrated in a tiny USB plug and be carried in your wallet to be a ready to go, portable productivity OS that can boot an any hardware at hand and presents you with a familiar, the same productivity desktop regardless of the machine (laptop…) you happen to boot it on… I am typing this on Thinkpad T410 booted from fully encrypted antiX 19 USB plug, which equally well works on much older and low specs machines. The lowest spec machine I was using was Thinkpad T23 for the record. The highest spec laptops I am using are high power i7 8Gb IPS laptops…

I suggest that instead of antiX 17 (as you did experiment with) you use antiX 19, which has ironed out various details in getting this OS close to perfection…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.