Hi All! first-time posting, old-time fan ; )

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX Hi All! first-time posting, old-time fan ; )

• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated Apr 18-11:03 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    FrecklesG

Hi All!

Through the years, I’ve been on and off Win-Linux. I’ve played with a few Linux distros (DSL, Tiny-core, Puppy, doudoulinux, Ubuntu, Mint, Lite, antiX and MX-Linux) but I by no means considered myself a Linux expert. I noticed that the more you get to know, the more you realize what you don’t know, so I send my appreciation to each developer and contributor who are making this possible.

The first time I tried antiX was a few years ago when it was v13… and something that caught my attention was its speed and its selection of apps, some of them crafted specially for antiX. I even discovered some apps through antiX (like SpaceFM, Poor Man’s Radio Player, Cherrytree, Droopy, etc). Lately I had been playing with v17 and I have to confess that I was a little hesitant to try the new 19.x version as I thought that being based on Debian 10 buster it would be too heavy, but I’m glad I did try it because it proved to be still light and fast! and it still has only a ~90MB memory foot print!

I find it’s amazing to be able to bring an old PC back to life to re-purpose it or to help someone in need. And antiX being such a light distro and with its USB persistence system has gained my appreciation.

Having the hobby of researching and finding answers I spend most of my free time, but all these years I’ve just been an spectator and I thought it was time to join the community and to collaborate with something.

Kind Regards

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

Hi FrecklesG,
    Welcome to antiXia,

Not just vers 17 and 19 good and light, a2 Bullseye is shaping up nicely, I seem to forget to
    pull out the live stick more and more, just use it for daily workhorse so I can report any bugs
    which jump up..

PPC
    Helpful
    Up

Welcome! We are a small, but vibrant community – usually very down to earth- if you have a problem, we try our best to help out in a way that even a non technically minded person can understand…
    Also antiX 19 is probably the easiest antiX yet to use- there are a lot of amenity scripts that help out with many common tasks, that the user had to perform using the terminal, and now can be done using a GUI.
    AntiX 21 will be based in the next Debian, and probably a bit heavier- but don’t worry- when it comes out- try it out- it’s not for you, probably antiX 19 will be supported for a very long time!

P.

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

Hi FrecklesG,

Welcome to the antiX Linux forum.

If I have correctly understood the translation of your text into my language, you are experienced in several GNU/Linux distributions. Some of the distros you cited, I had contact with before I got here on antiX, I started researching distros in November 2019, before that I was a “prisoner” of Janelas. I was only able to find antiX and this esteemed forum in June 2020. I usually say that, it took me a long time to find the right distro, with the right forum and with the right people … You will see that there are good people here, always willing to help, people with great technical knowledge about antiX and with as much patience as their knowledge. I have great esteem for all the teachers and teachers who teach me a lot here and I will always be grateful to all of them.

Having the hobby of researching and finding answers I spend most of my free time, but all these years I’ve just been an spectator and I thought it was time to join the community and to collaborate with something.

There are many volunteer jobs that we can do to help others with the knowledge we have, whether it is (the knowledge) little or a lot.

I, for example, do not know how to write or speak in English, I depend solely and exclusively on internet translators to be able to communicate with people here on the forum. And it’s not easy for me to be able to understand all the translations, sometimes I can understand the translations, other times I can’t. Even without having full command of the English language, I try to do my best at adaptation of translations for antiX for the Brazilian Portuguese language.

Apparently, you should be fluent in the English language, if you want and can collaborate/help with the corrections of translations for antiX to Spanish language, you are welcome. Having antiX with as many translations as possible is something that allows/will allow more and more people across planet Earth to use this magnificent operating system. I believe that language is still a barrier that can be overcome with the volunteer work of people who want/can help others with the translation of operating systems and application programs or scripts.

I recommend you to read these excellent tutorials created by @PPC:

Short essential how-to list for the complete Linux newbie and How-to install applications – 2020 version.

When you start a topic or participate with a post, remember to check the option “Notify me of follow-up replies via email”.

I will send my texts translated by the internet translator, I hope I can understand everything.

marcelocripe
    (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese)

———-

Olá FrecklesG,

Seja bem-vindo ao fórum do antiX Linux.

Se eu entendi corretamente a tradução do seu texto para o meu idioma, você é experiente em várias distribuições GNU/Linux. Algumas das distros que você citou, eu tive contato antes de chegar aqui no antiX, eu comecei a pesquisar distros em novembro de 2019, antes disso eu era um “prisioneiro” do Janelas. Eu só consegui encontrar o antiX e este estimável fórum em Junho de 2020. Eu costumo dizer que, eu demorei muito para eu encontrar a distro certa, com o fórum certo e com as pessoas certas… Você verá que aqui existem boas pessoas, sempre dispostas a ajudar, pessoas com grande conhecimento técnico sobre o antiX e com uma paciência tão grande quanto o seu conhecimento. Eu tenho grande estima a todos os professores e mestres que me ensinam muito aqui e sempre serei grato a todos eles.

Exitem muitos trabalhos voluntários que podemos fazer para ajudar as outras pessoas com o conhecimento que temos, seja ele (o conhecimento) pouco ou muito.

Eu, por exemplo, não sei escrever ou falar em idioma inglês, eu dependo única e exclusivamente dos tradutores da internet para conseguir me comunicar com as pessoas daqui do fórum. E não é fácil para mim conseguir compreender todas as traduções, às vezes eu consigo compreender as traduções, outras vezes não. Mesmo sem ter total domínio com o idioma inglês, eu tento fazer o meu melhor na adaptação das traduções para o antiX para o idioma Português do Brasil.

Ao que parece, você deve ser fluente no idioma inglês, se você quiser e puder colaborar/ajudar com as correções das traduções para do antiX para o idioma Espanhol, será bem-vindo. Ter o antiX com o maior número possível de traduções é algo que permite/permitirá com que mais e mais pessoas pelo planeta Terra possam utilizar este sistema operacional magnífico. Eu acredito que a língua ainda é um barreira que pode ser superada com o trabalho voluntários de pessoas que queiram/possam ajudar as outras com a tradução dos sistema operacionais e dos programas aplicativos ou scripts.

Eu recomendo você ler estes excelentes tutorias criados pelo @PPC:

Short essential how-to list for the complete Linux newbie e How-to install applications – 2020 version.

Quando você iniciar algum tópico ou participar com alguma postagem, lembre-se de marcar a opção “Notify me of follow-up replies via email”.

Eu enviarei os meus textos traduzidos pelo tradutor da internet, eu espero que você consiga compreender tudo.

marcelocripe
    (Texto original em idioma Português do Brasil)

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

@frecklesg: Welcome to the antiX forum.
    This has been a long lasting distribution that maximizes the life of old hardware and absolutely screams on newer hardware.

It’s grown in size and capabilities but still keeps efficient resources in check so that old hardware continues to function well.

Best wishes

Brian Masinick

andyprough
    Helpful
    Up

> @marcelocripe – ‘before that I was a “prisoner” of Janelas’

I learned awhile ago that Janela means “Window” in Portuguese, because I have a close friend named Janela. So you were a prisoner of Windows? Is MS Windows called Janelas among Portuguese speakers? I always thought it was a beautiful word.

caprea
    Helpful
    Up

Hi FrecklessG, nice that you have started to find your way to the forum.

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

Forgiveness, andprough and everyone.

I forgot to check if the translator would translate “Janelas” to “Windows”. The word “prison” would be the opposite of what a window (opening or opening in the outer wall of a building or in the body of a vehicle, which is intended to provide lighting and ventilation to its interior, “a small view of the world that is there out “) open provides.
    The “prison” was related to the indiscriminate use of a non-original operating system and the great difficulty of having access to information about Free Programs and Open Source Programs. For this reason, I consider it “prison”, because I was “trained” to know only that operating system, as much as I knew of the existence of “Linux” (today I call Linux distributions or the most complete form of GNU distributions / Linux), it has always been very difficult to find people who are willing to share knowledge and teach about an operating system that you don’t find easily in computer courses, and when you find computer courses with a Linux distribution, it’s usually to teach operate the system in a basic way (turning on the computer, using a file manager, opening application programs and editing text with LibreOffice and perhaps a simple image editor). I went through forums that don’t accept newbies, or who didn’t accept me because I don’t know how to communicate in English.

marcelocripe
    (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese)

———-

Perdão, andyprough e a todos.

Eu me esqueci de verificar se o tradutor iria traduzir “Janelas” para “Windows”. A palavra “prisão” seria o oposto ao que uma janela (abertura ou vão na parede externa de uma edificação ou no corpo de um veículo, que se destina a proporcionar iluminação e ventilação ao seu interior, “uma pequena visão do mundo que está lá fora”) aberta propicia.
    A “prisão”, estava relacionada ao uso indiscriminado de sistema operacional não original e a grande dificuldade que é de ter acesso a informações sobre os Programas Livres e aos Programas de Código Aberto. Por isso, eu considero a “prisão”, por eu ter sido “treinado” para conhecer apenas aquele sistema operacional, por mais que eu soubesse da existência de “Linux” (hoje eu chamo de distribuições Linux ou a forma mais completa de distribuições GNU/Linux), sempre foi muito difícil encontrar pessoas que estivessem dispostas a compartilhar conhecimento e a ensinar sobre um sistema operacional que você não se encontra facilmente nos cursos de informática, e quando encontra cursos de informática com uma distribuição Linux, normalmente é para ensinar a operar o sistema de forma básica (ligar o computador, usar gerenciador de arquivos, abrir programas aplicativos e editar um texto com o LibreOffice e talvez um editor de imagens simples). Eu passei por fóruns que não aceitam novatos, não dão a mínima para pessoas que querem aprender, ou que não me aceitaram por eu não saber me comunicar em inglês.

marcelocripe
    (Texto original em idioma Português do Brasil)

seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

Welcome @FrecklesG,

We came to antiX about the same time, with antiX-13. My hobby is old computers (from late 1970’s to now) and antiX has been a great resource for Linux. I use it mainly on Pentium-III and P4 up through the first dual core varieties.

seaken64

FrecklesG
    Helpful
    Up

Thank you Moddit, PPC, marcelocripe, Brian, andyprough, caprea, seaken64 for your comments. Indeed, I find this to be a very friendly and vibrant community and I’m glad to be part of it.

As per what marcelocripe mentioned:
    I try to do my best at adaptation of <a href="https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/transifex-translations/" rel="noopener" target="_blank">translations for antiX</a> for the Brazilian Portuguese language.

I admire and appreciate your eagerness to help.
    Spanish is my first language, however some years ago I made the decision to use all my systems (even my phone!), and all programs in English, so I now feel more comfortable using English User Interfaces than Spanish UI’s, but when it comes to spell checkers or helping someone else it’s good to have both language options available, so I will definitely take a look at those translating groups to see if there’s something I can help with.

: )

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Thank you Moddit, PPC, marcelocripe, Brian, andyprough, caprea, seaken64 for your comments. Indeed, I find this to be a very friendly and vibrant community and I’m glad to be part of it.

As per what marcelocripe mentioned:
    I try to do my best at adaptation of translations for antiX for the Brazilian Portuguese language.

I admire and appreciate your eagerness to help.
    Spanish is my first language, however some years ago I made the decision to use all my systems (even my phone!), and all programs in English, so I now feel more comfortable using English User Interfaces than Spanish UI’s, but when it comes to spell checkers or helping someone else it’s good to have both language options available, so I will definitely take a look at those translating groups to see if there’s something I can help with.

: )

I am very happy that you are doing well and enjoying antiX and the community!

Brian Masinick

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.