Hi All, My First Post

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX Hi All, My First Post

• This topic has 11 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Mar 29-3:09 am by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jing-Jo

Greetings to all.
    My first personal touch with a computer was in September 1975.
    Yes, I am an Old Fart .I have been using RPM based distros for just over 15 years.
    I joined antiX after ‘fretting’ over it for 3 months . MX was the other candidate, but ..no !
    I have, in the last 3 days, done 7 installs, all with the necessary swearwords of a total newbie. .
    I like it ! …. a lot !

Just one more thing. When I ask questions, I do not need “full” answers. Most of the time, a link to < somewhere > will be sufficient.
    I don’t forget things. I just don’t remember them in time . :-“)

caprea
    Helpful
    Up

Hi Jing-Jo, welcome to the antiX forum!

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

@jing-jo:

Welcome to the antiX forum and our simple, light, “lean and mean” distribution.

Brian Masinick

oops
    Helpful
    Up

Welcome Jing-jo.

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

Hi Jing-Jo,

Welcome to antiX Linux and the forum.

I recommend you to read these excellent tutorials created by @PPC:

Short essential how-to list for the complete Linux newbie and How-to install applications – 2020 version

When you start a topic or participate with a post, remember to check the option “Notify me of follow-up replies via email”.

I hope that you will be able to correctly understand the texts translated by the internet translator from my language into the English language.

marcelocripe
    (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese)

———-

Olá Jing-Jo,

Seja bem-vindo ao antiX Linux e ao fórum.

Eu recomendo você ler estes excelentes tutorias criados pelo @PPC:

Short essential how-to list for the complete Linux newbie e How-to install applications – 2020 version

Quando você iniciar algum tópico ou participar com alguma postagem, lembre-se de marcar a opção “Notify me of follow-up replies via email”.

Eu espero que você consiga compreender corretamente os textos traduzidos pelo tradutor da internet do meu idioma para o idioma inglês.

marcelocripe
    (Texto original em Português do Brasil)

Jing-Jo
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks to all for the welcome
    I surely start liking it every day a little more.

@Marcelocripo
    Thanks for the pointers. I have spend a lot of time to download “Documentation”.
    Including yours.
    That was the easy part ! Reading it all ( as needed ) is going to take a while.

See you around.

Jing-Jo

The Dark Side
    Helpful
    Up

Welcome Jing-Jo to the AntiX world !!! Greetings.

seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

Hi jing-jo, welcome to antiX. My first contact with a personal computer was in 1978. A Commodore PET in computer class in Junior High School.

seaken64

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Hi jing-jo, welcome to antiX. My first contact with a personal computer was in 1978. A Commodore PET in computer class in Junior High School.

seaken64

You are definitely younger than me then. I was finishing up my Computer Science degree at that time. I actually graduated in 1979 instead of 1978. That turned out to be a blessing. I was in the first actual Computer Science graduation class; previous classes were Mathematics department classes in Computer Science.

Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

I got to use microprocessor components but the IBM PC came out in 1981amd , models became commonplace in 82-83. The first floppy disk Macintosh came out in 1983; SunOS was in it’s infancy about the same time but Solaris was still another 5 years away.

Brian Masinick

seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

Sometimes I hear people refer to the IBM PC as the first Personal Computer. It was not. Commodore and Apple, Heathkit, and several others beat them to what can be termed Personal. Of course, a lot of the computers in the 70’s were so expensive that it can’t really be “Personal”. We shared computers like the PET among an entire class. But we would call the Commodore PET a Personal Computer these days. I also had a stand alone NorthStar Advantage running CP/M that was my personal computer before I got a Tandy PC running MS-DOS.

seaken64

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Right;. The IBM PC came out after several other companies had personal computer systems, including Apple, Franklin and others

Heathkit made it few microcomputer systems but didn’t establish a commercial customer base.

Intel had excess capacity after failure to gain a contract. Microsoft bought QDOS in hope to sell system software with their BASIC programming language.
    IBM was late to the game but realized that they needed something. Intel. Microsoft and IBM validated an existing hardware and software configuration by their entrance into this business sector.

IBM later created their own OS and their own system but the already existing environment was less expensive with more applications at a lower cost.

Interestingly had they lowered the cost and come up with a comaptible software ABI it MAY have worked.

MULTICS was a bust because it was too expensive and powerful for affordable hardware. Ironic because Linux has added most capabilities once only able to run on expensive hardware. Chips and memory are cheap, allowing powerful hardware and affordable systems.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by Brian Masinick.

Brian Masinick

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.