HI all, new usr here, stuck in demo. Happy but messed things up.

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX HI all, new usr here, stuck in demo. Happy but messed things up.

• This topic has 18 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated Jan 22-10:48 pm by HisWord1st.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    anti1alain

Hi all, so far I like Antix. Am using it on an old desktop but running in demo of the DVD.
      I tried to install on a WINXP computer by over writing the XP partitions, full HD install and now it will not install onto the HD. It goes through the whole install procedure up to 94%, I enter the details : Usr name, password, root admin. and then proceed then I get an error message about Smart something or Gsmartcontrol.
      I know I did not properly arrange the partitions in WINXP and screwed around with them in GParted. I can manage to load up with the disk but cannot complete the install. There is no WINXP left the drives. I really would like to become part of the community and use Antix but right now I’m stuck.
      This is an old computer I want to set up for someone else and dont want them to have to use the DVD everytime. THanks, hope you guys can help. I will continue to research and now, basically to see how to reformat the entire system and then hopefully be able to reinstall ANtix properly with the right partitions.

Single Core, Intel Pentium 4 , 32bits, L2 cache 512mb
      LLL (learning to love linux)

BobC

I am not going to pretend I would be able to figure out an answer, but “Smart” is a harddrive error monitoring system.

Nobody is going to even be able to guess without knowing what kind of computer you have and what kind of drive is in it.

Also, if you would go to a terminal and run/post the results of

inxi -Fxz

Someone might be able to at least guess. Do you have a spare disk drive you could swap in to try instead of that one? A lot of times if there are hardware problems suspected, it’s easiest to just swap in a different part to see if it solves the problem.

anti1alain

Hey Bob thank you.
          CPU: Single Core, Intel Pentium 4, bits: 32 type: MT, L2 Cache 512kb.

As I check this in the terminal i am still logged as demo@antix1: ~

I tried to install Antix to the HD 5 times with the installer and I end up getting error messages after the entire 20 min. process stating that I have to go to Live Media and use the Grub rescue!
          Nothing seems to work. I ran a DBAN on the whole system, loaded the cd and yes it boots up, everything works, but it will not install to my hard drive. DOes Antix only work with the cd/dvd (usb)? I thought initially using the installer to over-write the entire WINXP (nfts drive: windows system) Antix would start up and be my sole OS.

THen after NUking the entire system I figured it would start up again.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by anti1alain.

BobC

I would suggest based on what you did tell me that you need to be running one of the 386 versions of antiX. Hopefully someone sharper than me knows what your problem is.

Forum Admin
            anticapitalista

I know I did not properly arrange the partitions in WINXP and screwed around with them in GParted.

How have you set up the hard disk drive?

You could use auto install using entire disk option and let the installer set up the partitions.
              Also make sure you install grub to MBR.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

anti1alain

HI Anticapitalista, that is exactly what I have been trying to do. Use the installer. I have gone through all the steps until the end. Then just before finishing the installer set up, and start to install I get an error message dialog box saying that it cannot find the Grub and I will have to use Grub rescue thru the live media.

Forum Admin
                anticapitalista

Have you tried using the boot-repair app (on live dvd) to fix the grub issue?
                  It is in the control centre under Maintenance.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

rayluo

(Piggybacking on this thread…)

Hi AntiCapitalista, did you hint that the boot-repair app (on liveUSB in my case) should work out-of-the-box?

In my case, I choose its first option “Reinstall GRUB bootloader on ESP, MBR or PBR (root)” (the second option “Repair GRUB configuration file” yields same result, for that matter), but no matter which liveUSB partition I choose for “Select root location”, it always ends up with an error: “Could not set up chroot environment. Please double-check the selected location.” I did search keyword “chroot” and it seemed it would require dozens of steps on its own. AntiCapitalista, is the “chroot” procedure also expected when you suggested to use the boot-repair app?

Some more background, if it would be helpful: my computer came with Windows XP pre-installed in its first hard drive partition, later I successfully installed a Lubuntu on an extended partition and the dual boot worked fine. Recently, since I’ve switched to exclusively use AntiX from liveUSB anyway, I nuked the Lubuntu partition and reclaimed/merged its space back to my another data-only partition. Now I can still boot with AntiX liveUSB, but the Windows XP on hard disk can not boot due to a messed-up GRUB.

Xecure

I know it works because I have used it before on a previous antiX 19.

REINSTALL grub instead of repairing it. I am talking about an installed antiX system (NOT Live). If installing in MBR, then make sure you have the boot flag set up (check in Gparted).
                      If installing in root, check that the root partition has the boot flag.

Also check the boot order in BIOS.

If Grub doesn’t show other operating systems, you could check that os-prober is installed and then, in your installed antiX system, do a
                      sudo update-grub

antiX Live system enthusiast.
                      General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

anti1alain

Hey Anticapitalist!!!! It worked! I used the repair as directed. Previously I had used reinstall in this manager. Now I’m running without the disk and very very happy. But now that I loaded it onto my the system and it boots without the disk on the old machine, how can I now change the language to french? I had been trying my installs in french for my friend but with all the problems figured I’d use English to make sure I understood and to look up problems, but now I need it to be in french. If you can help me with that, and a few of the media apps I would be most grateful and will definitely try this OS again. If he is happy there is another old computer, his wife’s that I might consider upgrating to a Linux unit.
                        THanks for all your hard work; and mine… Solved. Now part 2; switch Antix to francais svp once installed.

I have been just playing around and some of the icons are still in francais and some of the tabs while others are in English. Thanks again. So far so good. Need a music player and then set up an icon for his pictures and i’ll be in business.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by anti1alain.

Xecure

Changing language may be a bit tricky. You will need to know the specific version of French you want. Check to see if you have it installed by writing this on a terminal emulator:
                          locale -a | grep "fr_"
                          If the French version you are looking for is there, great. If it is there, skip the next command. If it is not, you will have to generate the locale files using
                          sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales
                          Once you find the French variant you want (moving with the arrow keys), hit the Space key so you can see an asterisk symbol on it, hit Enter, move to the language you want to default to, accept and wait for it to generate your language.

Let us imagine the language you want is fr_FR (French from France). You would change the default linux language by executing:
                          sudo update-locale LANG=fr_FR.utf8
                          Programs should change the default languages (if they don’t, reboot the system).

I would advise you to create a new user account so that all local folders and menus change to the new language (Control Centre > Maintenance > User Manager > and there you can add the new user). After login in to the new user, you may have to change the Autologin user in Control Centre.

This should change your default language for the system and menus. If the menu doesn’t change, you will have to navigate to /usr/share/antiX/localization/fr/ and copy the config and menu files to your home folder.

There may be a simpler set of instructions. Hopefully, someone with more experience can add to this.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
                          General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

anti1alain

Hi guys Xecure, Anti, ok for the languages it will do. ALmost all of it is in french save for a few items.
                            I get the feeling with all my attempts at installs and restarting some of the items got mish mashed. I did start keeping the pr
                            Well as a newbie to the community and as my baptism by fire continues I must admit I am happy with this install so far. (There are many other issues I will have to take time to check out: MSPYOuTube, POMANRADIO, and the other SMTube, as well as Streamlight also having problems and not working, buyt 1 issue at a time.)

First off guys, I am impressed at this old desktop under Antix compared to what it was when it came in with WINXP, the thing crawled to boot up, it is about 20 years old. Even when I was running Antix on the disk it is night and day now that it is on the hard drive. Just for this I am extremely pleased. It will be a hell of a lot quicker and I believe the owner will be extremely pleased at the speed of things for an ole girl. Even the web is relatively ok at loading times faster than the XP was just booting up the browser. I am happy I finally managed to get it on the hard drive as I was getting discouraged and was about to distro hop. FInally I will stay a while for sure, and now looking forward to try it out again.

Now just getting set up. I’ve had a lot to look at and explore and at lot to download in the package manager. I am rebooting will try to figure out some of the things that dont run, and will be back. THank you for your quick response today and follow ups. I was truly going to go elsewhere to find a distro, but happy I stuck it out and so did you! Anticapitalisto! La revolution!!!!

I guess my next problems will have to go under a new heading in the forums! CHeers to all Antix commrades!

Brian Masinick

I’m happy to see people using antiX with a variety of different languages. It’s been a LONG time for me since I was actively involved in language localization. In the 1990s I worked on an internationalization team that was bringing UNIX multilingual support to 64-bit Digital UNIX.

I worked closely with language translators in Europe to translate the graphical user interface for the Common Desktop Environment (CDE) into quite a few more languages. French, German, Italian, Spanish and a few others had been previously done by other CDE UNIX vendors. We contracted with staff in southern France and a friend of mine there worked with language translators to translate into languages like Catalan, Czech Republic, and more. Similarly we worked with Asian translators to make sure that we had Thai, Korean, Japanese, multiple dialects of Chinese. In all I believe we increased the number of languages to nearly forty distinct language locales.

I don’t remember very many details any more, but I actually still have three Korn Shell scripts that I wrote to help accelerate the copying of software kits back and forth. I’d send the English “C” locale kit to my European and Asian contacts, they’d contact their translators, and usually have a first translation attempt back to me in a week. I’d receive their translations, put them into UNIX CDE kit form and send them back to the team to check out, make sure they translated as intended, and once we got it right, I’d check the translations into the current UNIX software build. By creating a few scripts to speed the transfer process back and forth, we greatly accelerated the language translation and kitting time, allowing us to complete the entire project within a couple of quarters and make it into the next release.

I’ve never done this same type of work on Linux systems. I bought my very first Linux system while I was on that same project, but I was just learning Linux right about the time that the KDE and Xfce desktop environments were coming out. They got some of their initial ideas from that CDE project and greatly improved upon them. I hope that every aspect of the work today can continue to be available to people throughout the world in languages that each person can read and speak. I’m only sorry that my past expertise goes back well over twenty years ago, too long ago to remember anything except the fun history of working with wonderful people all over the world, something I’m at least able to do by trying to be friendly and helpful here. Best wishes to people everywhere!

--
                              Brian Masinick

rayluo

I know it works because I have used it before on a previous antiX 19.

REINSTALL grub instead of repairing it. I am talking about an installed antiX system (NOT Live). If installing in MBR, then make sure you have the boot flag set up (check in Gparted).
                                If installing in root, check that the root partition has the boot flag.

Also check the boot order in BIOS.

If Grub doesn’t show other operating systems, you could check that os-prober is installed and then, in your installed antiX system, do a
                                sudo update-grub

Hey Anticapitalist!!!! It worked! I used the repair as directed.

Thanks Xecure and congratulations anti1alain. Just to double check, when you folks succeeded in your boot-repair journey, did you have to somehow manually prepare this chroot environment?

UPDATED: Well, I decided to no longer hijack this thread. 🙂 I started a new thread on this issue here. Mic Drop.

Forum Admin
                                Dave

then I get an error message about Smart something or Gsmartcontrol.

Not 100% certain without seeing the error. But if I recall correctly from reviewing the code the installer will bail on the installation if it sees a problem with reallocated sector count ( = bad hard drive ) and will tell you that with a suggestion to check the smart output or use gsmartcontrol to check it in a graphical environment. I do not think antiX has gsmartcontrol installed so that is likely a reference to the app in MX.

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.