[SOLVED] How do I change a kernel in an OS that wont boot?

Forum Forums General Software [SOLVED] How do I change a kernel in an OS that wont boot?

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Sep 1-11:54 am by mikey777.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    mikey777

I have installed antiX23, adding it to the multibooted system on my Asus laptop.
      However, the 5.10 series of antiX kernels are not compatible with this laptop (doesn’t boot completely), as I discovered previously with antiX21. To get around this problem, as well as the need for an LTS kernel, I use the linux-libre 5.10 gnu kernels, instead of the antix ones.

The present problem: I’ve installed antiX23, but it wont boot at all (just a blank screen) due to above-mentioned incompatibility with the preinstalled kernel, i.e. 5.10.188-antix.1-amd64-smp. Using the live environment, is there a way I can delete this kernel within the installed version, and replace it with say antix kernel 4.19, or the latest linux-libre 5.10 kernel. I’ve already got the *.deb files to work with, for each of these kernels.

Many thanks in advance for any help/advice with this …

• This topic was modified 9 months, 4 weeks ago by mikey777.

▪ 32-bit antix19.4-core (SysV init)+LXDE legacy install on :
      - (2011) Samsung NP-N145 Plus (JP04UK) – single-core CPU Intel Atom N455@1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, integrated graphics.
      ▪ 64-bit antix21-base (SysV init)+LXDE legacy install on:
      - (2008) Asus X71Q (7SC002) – dual CPU Intel T3200@2.0GHz, 4GB RAM. Intel Mobile 4 Series, integrated graphics
      - (2007) Packard Bell Easynote MX37 (ALP-Ajax C3) – dual CPU Intel T2310@1.46GHz, 2GB RAM. SiS Graphics

abc-nix

Run antiX Live from USB or CD.

Run App select and search for “Rescue”.

Launch Chroot Rescue Scan and select to chroot into your installed antiX 23. This will “log you” into the installed system as root.

apt update and apt install the kernels you need installed. After installing the kernels, it should update grub (if it doesn’t, run update-grub).

Control+D to end the chroot session and quit the app.

Reboot the system and select the kernel from the advances options if it wasn’t set as the default kernel.

If everything works, remove the troublesome 5.10 kernel from the working installed system.

Xunzi_23

Never needed to but I think you can run the 32 bit system live on your desktop system, fully update,install the needed kernel and modules,
          remaster then use the antix kernel update tool to setup. You will probably need to install 32 bit development tools, libs, to do so.
          Below helped me to get my printer drivers compiled. Hope it will help you too.

$ sudo apt -y update

$ sudo apt -y install build-essential binutils

$ sudo apt -y install gcc-multilib

Probably someone will jump in and offer better or more detailed advice: we live and learn.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 4 weeks ago by Xunzi_23.
          • This reply was modified 9 months, 4 weeks ago by Xunzi_23.
          mikey777

Run antiX Live from USB or CD.
            Run App select and search for “Rescue”. Launch Chroot Rescue Scan and select to chroot into your installed antiX 23. This will “log you” into the installed system as root.
            apt update and apt install the kernels you need installed. After installing the kernels, it should update grub (if it doesn’t, run update-grub).
            Control+D to end the chroot session and quit the app.
            Reboot the system and select the kernel from the advances options if it wasn’t set as the default kernel.
            If everything works, remove the troublesome 5.10 kernel from the working installed system.

abc-nix, your instructions were so easy to follow. Using the gui (Chroot Rescue Scan), it was a breeze …
            Thank you – your help was very much appreciated here. I’ll now mark this as solved.

@Xunzi_23
            Thanks again for your help. As you can see abc-nix’s solution did the trick.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 4 weeks ago by mikey777.

▪ 32-bit antix19.4-core (SysV init)+LXDE legacy install on :
            - (2011) Samsung NP-N145 Plus (JP04UK) – single-core CPU Intel Atom N455@1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, integrated graphics.
            ▪ 64-bit antix21-base (SysV init)+LXDE legacy install on:
            - (2008) Asus X71Q (7SC002) – dual CPU Intel T3200@2.0GHz, 4GB RAM. Intel Mobile 4 Series, integrated graphics
            - (2007) Packard Bell Easynote MX37 (ALP-Ajax C3) – dual CPU Intel T2310@1.46GHz, 2GB RAM. SiS Graphics

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.