How do I change my default file manager? [SOLVED]

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions How do I change my default file manager? [SOLVED]

Tagged: 

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Apr 22-4:17 pm by mihirmishra.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    mihirmishra

I want to make pcmanfm my default filemanager and remove that came pre-installed with the system, that one is so confusing to use. But I don’t want to get any error messages after removing the old one.

• This topic was modified 2 months ago by mihirmishra.
    Xecure
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

I wouldn’t remove it just yet, as you may need it to manage the desktop icons (if using the rox-icewm desktop).

To change the default file manager, after installing it, go to
    Control Centre > Desktop > Preferred Applications
    Click the file manager and it will open a new window for you to select a different file manager. Before you start to search for pcmanfm, make sure the folder path (you can see it close to the top of the window) is /usr/share/applications/ as the pcmanfm.desktop will be stored there.

Apply the changes and from that moment on the default file manager will be pcmanfm. It is quite easy.

PPC
    Helpful
    Up

I want to make pcmanfm my default filemanager and remove that came pre-installed with the system, that one is so confusing to use.

Hi! It’s a bit off-topic – the default file manager – rox-filer takes some getting used to, but antiX (not the minimal versions) also comes with Spacefm file manager – it’s a Pcmanfm fork, so you should feel right at home (just go to it’s Bookmark’s toolbar menu, make sure that “show bookmarks” is ticked and add bookmarks to your main folders and you’r set, I also was used to pcmanfm when I began using antiX, and the first thing I did when I discovered it included Spacefm was to configure it to look just like pcmanfm- icons and all…)
    Use the same procedure that was explained by Xecure to use SpaceFM as your default file manager, or, if you want desktop icons and don’t mind wasting a couple of meg’s od RAM when antiX is running on idle, select SpaceFM to manage your desktop icons- that will also make it the default file manager ( Menu > Desktops > … Desktops > “Space-icewm” or any other desktop that starts with “Space”)
    I hope this tip helps not only you but all antiX newbies that dislike the default file manager.

P.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by PPC.
    mihirmishra
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks, now I’ using Space-IceWM.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.