How do I (upgrade|downgrade) the installed linux kernel?

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions How do I (upgrade|downgrade) the installed linux kernel?

This topic contains 50 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by ile Feb 23-3:18 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

Meh, I’d ignore the floppy error. I ignore btfrs errors on booting up newer kernels also.
    Cuz if it works. It is a chicken little error to me.

I don’t think you need headers either. Unless you have to configure a exotic graphics card.
    Up to you though.

I usually just

sudo update-grub

To see what kind of mess I made with different kernel installs. Copy and paste that into a text file and save it my Documents. Then boot into the kernel I wanna keep. Go into synaptic. Uninstall any kernels I won’t be using. Headers corresponding to the kernel images also. Then run sudo update-grub again to be sure everything is on the up and up.

KISS rules my computers.

Edit: replied not realizing there are already good posts in this thread about answering header question. Like skiddo’s post over here

How do I (upgrade|downgrade) the installed linux kernel?

Rebuild your dkms modules after a kernel update (broadcom, nvidia, etc…)

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by rokytnji.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by rokytnji.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Kruppt
    Kruppt

The driver/module for floppy is loading but you do not actually have a floppy drive installed.
    It is a harmless error message. You mentioned you blacklisted the driver.

For your referrence:
    https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-end_request-ioerror-dev-fd0-sector0/

If the error still presists, look for a setting in your BIOS for the floppy drive and disable it.

It is not an error to worry about though, you can just ignore it, causes no harm.

andfree

I ignore btfrs errors on booting up newer kernels also.

You are right that similar errors appear on booting up newer kernels, too. However, the system seems to work fine, so I think there’s no reason to spend more time on this. Thanks to all of you for your replies.

andfree

I suppose that now I can almost surely say that this celeron (compaq) laptop works better with the 3.7.10 kernel than with the 4.4.10 one. With the older one, vlc plays well a downloaded mp4 video. With the newer one, it does not (it freezes etc).

I have one more question. Should I run “apt-get dist-upgrade” for the older kernel?

skidoo

Should I run “apt-get dist-upgrade” for the older kernel?

3.7.x vs 4.4.x doesn’t interfere with your ability to perform dist-upgrade
    and
    dist-upgrade will not affect (change) your currently installed kernel.

andfree

Thanks. And one more question: I think I like Antix-17. Would it be a good idea to do a fresh install of it and then replace the kernel with the 3.7.10 one? Or the older kernel suits better to older installed versions of the OS?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by andfree.
    Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

17 is OK to use.

skidoo

And one more question

Your “one more question” is inspiration toward creating an available antiX kernels FAQ

———————————————
    I’m pasting here my WIP draft, inviting corrections and proposed additions
    (will later split or repost this into a separate “Documentation” topic)
    ———————————————

DRAFT : available antiX kernels FAQ

Q. What is special about, or different from, antiX kernels? (compared to linux mainline kernel)
    A. (tentative) the antiX kernel includes many extra kernel modules, toward supporting a broader range of hardware devices / firmware (especially older devices, older display adapters/chips)
    A. Debian-issued kernels (and not antiX) ship with selinux enabled
    A.
    A. The wording of this question is probably too broad ~~ begs multiple related answers, some of which might be suited to • bullet-point list format

^——– can we see a list?
    ^——– are the kernel modules (drivers) in fact “compiled in”, or are just packed into the iso?
    ^——– /boot/kernelconfig (shows copious detail) need link(s) to suggested refs which explain the nitty-gritty details

Q. Whatall kernels can I install? Like, can I install a Liquorix kernel for my antiX system?
    A. (tentative) some non-antiX kernels will be unable to support liveboot persistence/remastering features…
    (and vice versa ~~ antiX tools cannot setup the “casper” etc persistence used by other distros)
    -=-
    (?mention the potential absence of an overlayfs/aufs support in alternatively-sourced 3.xx series kernels?)

Q. Where can I find a list of available (“currently supported”) antiX kernels?
    A. (skidoo’s tentative answer ~~ corrections invited)
    http://antixlinux.com/stretch/pool/main/l/ and http://antixlinux.com/stretch/pool/main/l/linux-upstream/
    ^—– also displayed within synaptic package manager ( availability depends on which repositories are currently selected)

Q. What benefit(s) to be gained from installing a newer kernel?
    Q. Are there any potential “downsides” to installing a newer kernel?
    A.
    A. Ultimately, it’s YMMV “try it — on your system, your hardware — and find out”
    A. anectodal, machine/model -specific “answers” don’t belong inside the FAQ, are (already, on a an ongoing basis) available
    A. ? limit the scope of Q/A here to addressing “…any of the available, currently supported, antiX kernels” ?

Q. Howabout benefits/downsides of DOWNgrading the installed kernel?
    A.
    ^—- ? all else aside, how significantly does size does affect (liveboot toram, time until boot completion, …)
    v4.10 ~~ 31MB
    v4.14 ~~ 39MB
    v3.7.10 ~~ 21MB

Q. Whaddabout kernel “headers”? Do I need those? When do I need those? How do I know whether I need those?
    A.
    A.
    A.
    ^—– always needed when proprietary graphics driver is present, yes?

Q. So… not all kernels in antiX repo are “supported”, or what?
    A.
    betatesters (release announcements)…. awaiting a well-tested kernel has delayed distro releases
    ^——- exist in a separate “testing” repo? YES http://antixlinux.com/testing/pool/main/l/ and http://antixlinux.com/testing/pool/main/l/linux-upstream/
    ( these are NOT redundant copies, they are alternate, interim versions (probably not widely tested)

Q. Instead of downloading a ready-made kernel, how can I compile a kernel?
    A. start here: https://mxlinux.org/wiki/system/compiling-and-installing-new-kernel

Questions which are beyond the scope of this FAQ:
    • What is the kernel, exactly?
    • What means LTS (long-term-support) kernel?
    • What antiX-issued kernels are condiserd LTS kernels? (belongs in an addendum, or link to release anouncement(s), or…)

andfree

After having installed antiX-17-base to the laptop, the 3.7.10 antiX kernel doesn’t appear in synaptic anymore.

skidoo

Yes, your view in synaptic is correct. We can observe that all antiX kernels prior to v4.4.10 have been withdrawn, across all antiX repos
    http://antixlinux.com/jessie/pool/main/l/
    http://antixlinux.com/stretch/pool/main/l/
    http://antixlinux.com/testing/pool/main/l/

andfree

We can observe that all antiX kernels prior to v4.4.10 have been withdrawn, across all antiX repos

I’ve observed this, but the 3.7.10 kernel is one that works well on older kits, as I read here , wrote in the initial post and noticed in practice. Isn’t it a good reason for 3.7.10 kernel to remain available?

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

Not sure since I run full isos. But in AntiX 17. On my P3 IBM T23 . I run the 4.9.75 kernel. I also run it on the 32bit hard drive on this IBM P4 laptop also. It works better picking up my usb 3.0 express card addon gear on this IBM T430.

http://antixlinux.com/testing/pool/main/l/linux-4.9.75-antix.2-486-smp/

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

I’ve observed this, but the 3.7.10 kernel is one that works well on older kits, as I read here , wrote in the initial post and noticed in practice. Isn’t it a good reason for 3.7.10 kernel to remain available?

I will put the 3.7.10 kernels back in the jessie and stretch repos.
    However, it will not receive any security updates, including for Meltdown and Spectre.
    Use it at your own risk.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

andfree

It works better picking up my usb 3.0 express card addon gear on this IBM T430.

You mean 4.9.75 kernel works better than 4.10.5 one?

However, it will not receive any security updates

In this case, I suppose I’ll prefer a newer kernel that receives updates. Sorry for the inconvenience.

sleekmason
    sleekmason

Where might the antix kernel source be downloaded? (working addition).
    Looked on github, but didn’t see it in the 128 listed projects:)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.