How do I enable 'preload' app?

Forum Forums General Software How do I enable 'preload' app?

• This topic has 8 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Aug 26-11:56 am by BobC.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

I’ve installed ‘preload’:
    (1) How do I enable it?
    (2) How do I get confirmation that it is running?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

VWVW

I’m intrigued! Preload appears to be an app for cellphones so how do you get it installed on antix? You are telling ua that you have installed antix on a cellphone?

Never trust anybody who is too sophisticated to own a rubber chicken.

It preloads programs into memory.

Mikey, what version of antiX are you running and where did you get preload from?

I installed it on my antiX17 x64 full and it seems to be running, although I don’t know how to tell if its really doing me any good…

to see if its running, go to a terminal and type

ps -ef | grep "preload"

you should see it in the results if its running

root 105718 1 0 17:41 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/preload -s /var/lib/preload/preload.state
    demo 110352 24973 0 18:00 pts/0 00:00:00 grep preload

As a test, bringing up firefox was 5 seconds the 2nd time

On a reboot it was 6 seconds the fist time, 4 or 5 seconds the second time. I guess I would need to uninstall it, and repeat the tests with the same 10 tabs open…

With it stopped it was 4 or 5 seconds to load the 2nd time, same as with it running.

I guess you can test it yourself…

PS: On my normal setup (this is a test machine) I normally just start firefox in my startup so it comes up ASAP, and I just leave it running.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by BobC.
    VWVW

Mikey, what version of antiX are you running and where did you get preload from?

I see that it’s in the repository and on SourceForge

Never trust anybody who is too sophisticated to own a rubber chicken.

Thanks for your reply BobC.
    I’m running antiX 17.4.1 32-bit.
    I ran the command-line you suggested in terminal (to diagnose if ‘preload’ running) and got this output:

mike@antix1:~
    $ ps -ef | grep "preload"
    root      1733     1  0 07:33 ?        00:00:06 /usr/sbin/preload -s /var/lib/preload/preload.state
    mike      4384  4353  0 09:24 pts/0    00:00:00 grep preload

However, I need your help for interpreting the output. Where does it say it’s enabled?

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by mikey777.

I’m intrigued! Preload appears to be an app for cellphones so how do you get it installed on antix? You are telling ua that you have installed antix on a cellphone?

It doesn’t surprise me it’s on cellphones, as these a largely driven by Linux (Android) and ‘Preload’ is a Linux app. ‘Preload’ is in the Debian repository and I downloaded it to my low-powered i686 laptop (1.5GHz CPU; 940MB RAM), which is running antiX 17.4.1 32-bit.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by mikey777.

Mikey, it looks like its running

So, what will it help? My guess is if you have a machine with extra memory not being used and a slow hard drive, it would use that memory to keep often used programs already in memory? Just guessing. But do you have extra memory for it to work with?

Did you try testing like I did? That will tell you if its helping you. If not, you could see if it can be tuned? I don’t know there.

My opinion is that I would first concentrate on asking the machine to do as little unnecessary tasks as possible.

For example, what desktop are you running? Are you running the min- version of it? Turn off anything you don’t really need. Use Htop to see what is using memory or CPU and if its something not needed, turn it off. For example if it doesn’t have bluetooth, turn that off. If it doesn’t need to use a printer, turn off CUPS. Those are 2 I turn off. I also turn off volumeicon and instead use alsamixer when I need to. Linuxdaddy has threads out here about turning things off and reducing memory requirements. I’d suggest finding them and safely trying some of the suggestions by running from flashdrive with static persistence and tuning till happy with it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.