How do you backup your system

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions How do you backup your system

• This topic has 13 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated May 30-7:00 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    arnauld

Hi,

I am wondering how you back up your system? I see there seems to be a few integrated tools on Antix for this purpose.

On my Manjaro laptop I do a full image of the partition where Manjaro is installed using a tool called Redo http://redorescue.com/

Any suggestions welcome.

• This topic was modified 12 months ago by arnauld.

--
      Arnauld

Colonel Panic

Good thread Arnauld.

All the files I really need, I save either to the cloud or to a pendrive (or both) so that if the worst comes to the worst all I have to do is reformat the partition, reinstall the distro and then continue from where I left off. Much the same would happen if my hard drive died or got corrupted and I had to buy a new one (which hasn’t happened yet). The only snag is the sheer number of files I feel I need to save in this way; there are nearly 500 at the moment.

What I’d really like though would be a utility that created a bootable live iso from the partition, and even better if it contained an installer as well. I know that John Biles’s Legacy OS has one but I don’t know if AntiX has; I think Refracta has one too.

• This reply was modified 12 months ago by Colonel Panic.
        techore

I am not sure if this is helpful, but I have moved away from backing up OSes and focus on data. I script my OS builds so installing and building a new laptop or desktop can typically been done without my input in thirty to sixty minutes. Creating the scripted install takes time but executing an install script to build a new computer is trivial.

For data, I have a dedicated NAS using ZFS with file system and hardware redundancy needed to ensure that the data is safe outside of accidental deletion or a fire/flood/theft. In the absence of my fancy NAS, I would use an old laptop or computer and anacron to trigger a rsync job to copy /home. Just make sure you exclude unwanted files. Periodically, I backup critical files to external media to store offline.

I am in the infosec field and storing my confidential information with a third is something I wish was an option, but I cannot do it with the current state of affairs. At work, I get to see first hand how poorly third parties secure their infrastructure and customer data. It much worse than people realize.

Brian Masinick

http://www.tecmint.com/linux-system-backup-tools/ has a very interesting list of backup software available;
            that doesn’t necessarily equate to what’s best for antiX Linux backup.

You can take an ISO snapshot with antiX; that’s one round about way to do a backup
            and you can use it to install or reinstall your software too.

We also have a handy tool included called Lucky Backup;
            I’d say that’s probably the way to go if all you really
            want is a file and/or system backup; either approach works.

man page:
            LUCKYBACKUP(8) System Manager’s Manual LUCKYBACKUP(8)

NAME
            luckybackup – a powerful, fast and reliable backup & sync tool

SYNOPSIS
            luckybackup [OPTIONS]… [FILE]…

DESCRIPTION
            luckybackup is an application that backs-up and/or synchronizes any directories with the power of
            rsync

--
            Brian Masinick

Trashthrasher

I’ve been using Timeshift for so long that I pretty much automatically install it on every “new” system & I save the snapshots to a separate SSD drive. I’ll give luckyBackup a shot to an external drive soon to check it out.

Animal lover
              Savior of abandoned electronics
              Linux Enthusiast
              Check out my Punk/Metal band Taco Tuesday

Robin

Concerning „Luckybackup”: Please check the antiX Control Centre, section „Maintenance”. There is an entry reading something like “Backup your system”. This actually starts the lucky backup.

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

Trashthrasher

Here I go…

Attachments:

Animal lover
                  Savior of abandoned electronics
                  Linux Enthusiast
                  Check out my Punk/Metal band Taco Tuesday

Forum Admin
                  anticapitalista

What I’d really like though would be a utility that created a bootable live iso from the partition, and even better if it contained an installer as well. I know that John Biles’s Legacy OS has one but I don’t know if AntiX has; I think Refracta has one too.

Legacy OS uses antiX iso-snapshot utility.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

techore

I’ve been using Timeshift for so long that I pretty much automatically install it on every “new” system

I use timeshift, too, unless, I am using btrfs. I prefer snapper for btrfs snapshots but timeshift should work for it, too.

arnauld

Thanks for your replies. I think I will go on using Redo (as I am confortable with it) for the system and try Luckybackup for the Data…

--
                        Arnauld

wildstar84

Pbly. not the best way, but I maintain my entire system on 2 separate hard drives. Periodically, swap in the “backup” one and do something similar to apt-get dist-upgrade to upgrade all the packages, check my notes for system-changes to my “production” system and apply those changes there. More often, I just mount the backup disk via a usb/scsi cable, mount home and copy over user files I’ve added or changed since my last backup date. This has worked for years for me, and I can then swap in and boot the backup disk and hardly be able to tell I’m using it instead of my main one.

@Trashthra Sher – beautiful desktop! The window titlebars look similar to my current custom AfterStep window-manager setup.

Brian Masinick

Pbly. not the best way, but I maintain my entire system on 2 separate hard drives. Periodically, swap in the “backup” one and do something similar to apt-get dist-upgrade to upgrade all the packages, check my notes for system-changes to my “production” system and apply those changes there. More often, I just mount the backup disk via a usb/scsi cable, mount home and copy over user files I’ve added or changed since my last backup date. This has worked for years for me, and I can then swap in and boot the backup disk and hardly be able to tell I’m using it instead of my main one.

@Trashthrasher – beautiful desktop! The window titlebars look similar to my current custom AfterStep window-manager setup.

Whether that’s the “best way” or not, as long as it’s been a reliable approach for you – and it appears that it has been, who cares if it’s the “best” or not? If we’re highly paid system administrators paid to create and maintain the absolute best combination of stability and reliability, then it makes sense to create an environment that is reliable and maintainable; in that context, your approach meets two common requirements, whether it’s the most optimal method or not. When it comes to our own environments we can do whatever we please, as long as we can 1) understand it and 2) maintain it and it 3) meets our needs; what else matters?

--
                            Brian Masinick

BobC

I use ISO Snapshot followed by Live USB maker. It basically makes a bootable USB of the partition which can then be installed if needed.

For OS migration I use Aptik and Aptik-GTK to save and restore my changes, along with a couple scripts I wrote to reload all my added applications.

Daily driver distro https://www.antixforum.com

Brian Masinick

BobC said: ” I use ISO Snapshot followed by Live USB maker. It basically makes a bootable USB of the partition which can then be installed if needed.”

That’s precisely what I do when I save and store my images.

When I’m installing another distribution, I save the ISO image on my system, then I use Live USB maker to make the new ISO image, and then I install it.

Those are the two scenarios –
                                1) Save a snapshot and write the image to removable media and
                                2) download and save a new image and then write the image to removable media.

--
                                Brian Masinick

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.