[SOLVED] how install antix full with bios grub partition for uefi

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions [SOLVED] how install antix full with bios grub partition for uefi

Tagged: 

• This topic has 15 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated Mar 4-6:35 pm by stevesr0.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Ness

hi im very new to linux i want to manually install antix with uefi
      pc with intel i3 7 gen / 16 GB Ram / nvidia gt 710 2 GB
      i have two hard drives , 200 GB ssd and 2 TB HDD
      for ssd i adjust 6 GB swap / 512 MB fat32 for uefi bios and flag it to esp / and the rest of that for root and for Hdd all of them for home
      but when i adjust the flags and role of them , antix give me a warning that i dont make a partition for bios grub ,i make another partition for it flag it to bios grub or try change 512 MB esp to grub and other things like changing the partition role but this waring always come that i dont have bios grub partition
      i check antix forums and youtube but i didnt find something useful for ME
      i know if i do regular install it will automatically make partition for it but i want to know more and learn about linux so please help me (( and if possible how much size i should adjust for it )) thank you

• This topic was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Ness.
      abc-nix

Use the same ESP (EFI partition) as Windows or any other Linux system you have installed on said system.

For UEFI systems, antiX needs minimum 2 partitions:
        * ESP (the EFI partition)
        * / (the root partition, the main partition where the system will reside).

Additional partitions (optional):
        * swap (provides extra temporal space for when your RAM is full, also useful for hibernation)
        * /home (the home partition in case you want the system and the user files to be separate).
        * /boot (for storing grub and the kernel independently, useful for systems that can run Secure Boot).

If you are new, I recommend you only aim for the root (/) and EFI partitions (no /boot, /home, etc). If you are low on RAM or want to hibernate the device, you can also create a SWAP partition (recommended 1-1.5x your RAM size). If you already have Windows installed, then for sure it has an EFI partition. In the future, once you are more comfortable, you can aim at separating the /home folder into its own partition.

In your case, you just need to set the EFI fat32 partition to use the ESP and boot flags.

Maybe this guide on how to install on the Wiki can be of help.

PPC

If you are low on RAM or want to hibernate the device, you can also create a SWAP partition (recommended 1-1.5x your RAM size).

I think antiX 23/23.1 installer suggests using a SWAP file, I think the user only has to tick that option. Also the swap value, I think, by default is the same as the RAM.

P.

Robin

Also the swap value, I think, by default is the same as the RAM.

Swap files or swap partitions in general are something pretty bad for SSDs. They will wear them out easily. So you might want to abstain from having one in case you run on an SSD. But think twice before dismissing a swap partition or -file on system setup, read first to the end before deciding.

Additionally, a swap of the size one times the RAM size is way to small if your device has less than 2GB RAM. Use at least 2 times the RAM in these cases, and if you want to hibernate it (not merely suspend to ram), then use 3 time the physical RAM size. For bigger amounts of installed RAM you may use less than this, e.g. up to 8 GB RAM actually 1 times RAM size could be sufficient if no hibernation is budgetet, and 2 times RAM size if you want to hibernate. These are empirical values.
            If you run out of swap, your system will simply stall all of a sudden. So better have enough of it. Then you’ll notice soon enough when it is time to close some programs to free up some space, your system will slow down when running heavily into swap, but never stall. So having enough swap configured is one of the jigsaw pieces on the way of making your system perfectly stable. Sad for SSD users…

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

Ness

hi again
              i do it again for ESP and root and still gives me a waring
              i got windows 10 installed but when i got in antix partition , i delete all of the windows partitions and make new partition for fully antix install
              this is picture i take , still want me to make Bios Grub

Ness

sorry the file was big

Attachments:
                PPC

In the “ESP” partition line, click the drop down box and select the option that allows to use if for “boot”, probably it will be something like “boot-UEFI”…

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by PPC.
                  Robin

This is a warning merely, that you have set up your system with GPT. As long you know your BIOS will recognise GPT boot sectors and boot directly for them, no need to add an additional separate Boot partition.

The message on your screenshot reads: It may not boot…
                    As well it may. Only you can know this detail about your PC.

If unsure, you can give it a try, and say OK. But in case your BIOS doesn’t accept GPT, you will have to start over and redo the install, then you know you need actually an additional boot partition, since your BIOS can’t handle boot from GPT then.

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

marcelocripe

hi im very new to linux

Hello Ness.

Welcome to antiX Linux and the Forum.

I don’t know how to write in English and I send my texts translated by the internet translator. I hope you can understand everything. If your native language is not English, please translate my original Brazilian Portuguese text directly into your language with the help of internet translators and you will get a much better result.

Please read my real welcome in the Welcome to antiX Linux and the forum (antiX 23) and Welcome to antiX Linux and the forum (antiX 19, 21 and 22) thread.

Please learn how to ask for help here on the antiX forum by reading the threads I linked in my real welcome. Please note that there are 3 editions of antiX from series 19, 21 or 22 and 23 that have technical support in this forum. Each edition has 4 ISO images (full, base, net and core) on two different boot system types, SyVinit and Runit. If my sum is not wrong, at the present date there are about 32 different types of operating systems. That’s why you need to learn how to ask for help here on the antiX forum.

marcelocripe
                      (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese language)

– – – – –

hi im very new to linux

Olá, Ness.

Seja bem-vindo(a) ao antiX Linux e ao fórum.

Eu não sei escrever em idioma Inglês e envio os meus textos traduzidos pelo tradutor da internet. Eu espero que você consiga compreender tudo. Se o seu idioma nativo não for o Inglês, por favor, traduza o meu texto original em Português no Brasil diretamente para o seu idioma com a ajuda dos tradutores da internet que você obterá um resultado muito melhor.

Por favor, leia a minha verdadeira boas-vindas no tópico Seja bem-vindo (a) ao antiX Linux e ao fórum (antiX 23) e Seja bem-vindo (a) ao antiX Linux e ao fórum (antiX 19, 21 e 22).

Por favor, aprenda a pedir ajuda aqui no fórum do antiX lendo os tópicos que eu indiquei na minha verdadeira boas-vindas. Saiba que existem 3 edições do antiX, das séries 19, 21 ou 22 e 23 que possuem suporte técnico neste fórum. Cada edição possui 4 imagens ISOs (full, base, net e core) em dois tipos de sistema de inicialização diferentes, o SyVinit e o Runit. Se a minha soma não estiver errada, na presente data são cerca de 32 tipos diferentes de sistema operacionais. É por isso que você precisa aprender a pedir ajuda aqui no fórum do antiX.

marcelocripe
                      (Texto original em idioma Português do Brasil)

stevesr0

Hi Ness,

(1) I am unclear how you are trying to install antiX. Are you booting from a live usb and then running the installer?
                        (2) Are you sure your bios is the newer UEFI type and NOT the old BIOS type? (GPT partitions can be used with either.)

Forum Admin
                        rokytnji

My SSD setup with uefi bios

sda2 is just storage. Notice no esp partition. It is why I like Dell uefi settings in bios.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
                          I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
                          Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
                          How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Ness

sorry i was busy
                            yeah i booting from a live usb and then running the installer , and bios is very old ((its asus model H110-plus version 0207 / UEFI version 2.17 / 2015 ))
                            i actually make a separate partition for a /boot and tried other related flags for bios (( i mean i tried everything ))
                            i think my bios is very old and i should upgrade it

stevesr0

Hi Ness,

I am not clear about why your install attempts are not working. But, in your opening post, you said you wrote

i know if i do regular install it will automatically make partition for it but i want to know more and learn about linux so please help me (( and if possible how much size i should adjust for it )) thank you

This leads me to suggest that you do a “regular install” as a trial.

If it works, then you know your hardware and UEFI BIOS can handle the install. And the “responses” on the installer might inform you as to what was wrong about your previous attempts.

Then you could do a reinstall and make the “custom” adjustments you seem interested in doing.

Ness

thank you
                                i would do regular and use it till i learn more about linux then do partition by my self
                                sorry for all for wasting your time

stevesr0

Hi Ness,

Learning from other peoples’ problems is often very useful, when we find ourselves having the same issue.

Please report back after you have tried the “regular” install and let us know what happened.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.