How to change toolbar icons on Antix Base

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions How to change toolbar icons on Antix Base

• This topic has 15 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Jan 24-5:02 pm by keshav-uses-linux.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    keshav-uses-linux

Hi, i am using Antix Base, and want to change the toolbar icons and cannot find any usefull info online

PPC

As always – if you want an OS that includes all the programs the developer thinks it should include, install the FULL version. It does include a GUI to manage icons on IceWM’s toolbar. Also app-select, in antiX 23 FULL (at least, I never ran Base) does include a feature that you can select any application, right click it and select to add/remove it from the toolbar.

You have several solutions:
        0- Always read the unofficial antiX 23 FAQ’s, here in the forum- there’s one about adding/removing toolbar icons. Test all the options there, see if any work, before asking around in the forum (as you can see in my edit in point nr 4, below, the solution was there on the FAQ’s already)
        1- Learn how to manually edit IceWM’s “toolbar” file (available from the Control Centre) and add what you want
        2- Install antiX Full and use IceWM Toolbar Icon Manager, that comes included out of the box- this allows you to add/remove/move toolbar icons
        3- Keep using antiX Base and figure out what package you have to install to have the Toolbar Icon Manager (probably yad-goodies)
        4- Check if app-select in the version included in Base does allow to add/remove Toolbar icons- if it doesn’t… figure out what package you have to install to get it to work… EDIT: I just tested on a virtual machine – yes the version of app-select included in antiX Base does allow user to do add/remove toolbar icons.

Main point – your life would just be simpler if you always read the unoffical FAQ’s and if you install antiX Full (It takes just a couple or do GB of disk space more than Base… and saves you a lot of time (and keeps you from asking this kinds of things in the forum, and having to wait for replies)

So when you say you did not find any information on-line… You never even checked the unoffical antiX 23 FAQ’s here in the forum?

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by PPC.
        keshav-uses-linux

i get what you are tryna say, but now i cannot bother to swtich to Antix Full bcuz of all the setup i would have to do, so i would prefer to be on Base.

the solution was there on the FAQ’s already

Where is the unofficial antiX 23 FAQ’s

you have to install to have the Toolbar Icon Manager

where can i find it

So when you say you did not find any information on-line… You never even checked the unoffical antiX 23 FAQ’s here in the forum?

if i knew it existed somewhere

PPC

The Unofficial antiX 23 FAQs are pinned to the top of all forum categories. You can’t miss them. Also… do you see that search box on the right side of the main forum page? Guess what happens if you type “unofficial” there…

P.

Xunzi_23

Hi Keshav* a quick search for icewm change toolbar icons

Second and many other entrys point to antiX unnoficial FAQ

Others to ICEWM FAQ and Swtup guides.

Regarding finstalling full version rather than base the recommendation is sound and sensible, seems you are not…
              And that you are not reading freely available FAQ and Man pages for the WM.

My personal advice is stop behaving as a forum leech before you really soil your reputation..
              Nobody here is a paid supporter.

hughtmccullough

There is also a useful section in the YouTube video by STÆMPUNK TV entitled “antiX 22 Configuration & Theming [Step by step]”. It is worth watching the whole video but if you are in a hurry the relevant part is about 1 1/2 hours in. Try this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gW_MVl9A_8 or search using the information I have given.

PPC

PPC wrote:

if i knew it existed somewhere

Just a reminder – MarceloCripe sends this “Welcome message” to all new forum users. If you bother to click the link about antiX 23, included in his message, you would know about the unofficial FAQ’s. Like they say, “the devil is in the details”, so when we are learning something new, it usually a good thing, paying attention to details.

I know you are new to antiX, but you seem capable enough to follow clear directions, and even write pretty good “how to’s”, like the one you wrote about installing NVIDIA drivers, that I point to in the FAQ’s, so I hope you don’t only “eat the fish”, but also “teach others how to fish” in the future! :-)

P

keshav-uses-linux

the solution was there on the FAQ’s already

okay, so below is what i found the closet to what i want, and this isn’t usefull to a Antix Base user.

*15 – Do you want to customize antiX? Change the size of the toolbar, put it on the top part of the screen, change themes, change the way the clock looks, etc?
                    antiX includes a tool: IceWM Control Centre that allows you to customize almost any aspect of how antiX looks and feels:
                    – antiX menu > Control Centre > System > IceWM Control Centre
                    OR
                    – antiX menu > Applications > antiX > IceWM Control Centre
                    OR
                    search for it using app-select

2- Install antiX Full

i have no regrets to use Antix base despite whatever you are saying. and you Can Not make anyone feel bad about thier OS decisions okay?. if you know the exact solution then thanks, else dont bother filling up the forum with non helpfull message

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by keshav-uses-linux.
                    keshav-uses-linux

Hi Keshav* a quick search for icewm change toolbar icons

Second and many other entrys point to antiX unnoficial FAQ

Others to ICEWM FAQ and Swtup guides.

Ohh, thanks that is reallky helpfull

My personal advice is stop behaving as a forum leech before you really soil your reputation..
                      Nobody here is a paid supporter.

I know that there’s no paid supporter, and i know that i am probably going to soil my reputation but, i also know there would be someone that could spare his time to Help a Newbie like me and these forums are gonna be very usefull for a newbie starting out with Antix Base as a starting point.
                      I dont wanna get into any argument. so only reply if it solves the Stated Problem.

PPC

i have no regrets to use Antix base despite whatever you are saying. and you Can Not make anyone feel bad about thier OS decisions okay?. if you know the exact solution then thanks, else dont bother filling up the forum with non helpfull message

It was never my intention to make anyone “feel bad about their OS decisions”. It’s your computer, your life. It’s also my time, and I can decide that it’s not worth it, trying to help you to manually do something that already has a perfectly good GUI tool.
                        Also. Like I said about reading the Welcome message Marcelo sent you… Please read CAREFULLY my above post: https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/how-to-change-toolbar-icons-on-antix-base/#post-130371

Both my post and the unofficial FAQ (in more detail) explain how to use app-select to add/remove toolbar icons. Who is “filling up the forum with non helpfull messages”?
                        And relax. It’s the last time I try to help you out. If you don’t read what I (and other people) tell you, there’s no point in me trying to do it any further.

P.

christophe

Hi, i am using Antix Base, and want to change the toolbar icons

I tend to use base most of the time, too. What I do is:
                          1. Open the wm config file in geany, removing the lines for the tray launchers I don’t want.
                          2. Open app-select from the menu; right-click on the apps you want to add.
                          Very easy.
                          I urge you to check out the posts and video mentioned above, of course.
                          Many other how-to’s are discussed there, as well.

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2019

marcelocripe

Hi, i am using Antix Base, and want to change the toolbar icons and cannot find any usefull info online

and

… for a newbie starting out with Antix Base as a starting point.

With all the respect I have for you and for all people.
                            I don’t use the base ISO because I don’t have enough technical knowledge to use this version.
                            Whenever a newbie arrives here and says that they have installed the base ISO, the forum is filled with questions about how to do everything that is already ready in the full ISO.
                            Whenever a newbie comes here and says they installed the base ISO, they ask for help installing the programs that are available in the full ISO.
                            For beginners who want to use the base ISO, I wish them good luck and that they have good studies on how to make the base ISO’s antiX look like the full ISO’s antiX.
                            If there is a free preparatory course on how to build the full ISO from the base ISO, you can count on me signing up.

– – – – –

e

… for a newbie starting out with Antix Base as a starting point.

Com todo o respeito que eu tenho a você e por todas as pessoas.
                            Eu não utilizo a ISO base porque eu não tenho conhecimentos técnicos suficientes para utilizar esta versão.
                            Sempre que um novato chega aqui e diz que instalou a ISO base, enche do fórum de perguntas de como fazer tudo aquilo que já vem pronto na ISO full.
                            Sempre que um novato chega aqui e diz que instalou a ISO base fica pedindo ajuda para instalar os programas que estão disponíveis na ISO full.
                            Para os casos dos novatos que queiram utilizar a ISO base, eu desejo boa sorte e que tenha bons estudos de como fazer o antiX da ISO base ficar parecido com antiX da ISO full.
                            Se houver um curso preparatório gratuito de como construir a ISO full a partir da ISO base, podem contar com a minha inscrição.

Xunzi_23

so only reply if it solves the Stated Problem.

My reply to your ignorant attitude would get me banned.

I help those who help themselves, are prepared to learn and not waste others time and answer helpers with ignorance.

You are from now on my ignore list…

marcelocripe

My reply to your ignorant attitude would get me banned.

I help those who help themselves, are prepared to learn and not waste others time and answer helpers with ignorance.

You are from now on my ignore list…

Xunzi_23, now can you understand why I wrote my text above?

Xunzi_23, agora você consegue compreender porque eu escrevi o meu texto acima?

Brian Masinick

Hi, i am using Antix Base, and want to change the toolbar icons

I tend to use base most of the time, too. What I do is:
                                  1. Open the wm config file in geany, removing the lines for the tray launchers I don’t want.
                                  2. Open app-select from the menu; right-click on the apps you want to add.
                                  Very easy.
                                  I urge you to check out the posts and video mentioned above, of course.
                                  Many other how-to’s are discussed there, as well.

@christophe

Like you, someone who is familiar with the system and commands in general, installation of either Core or Base is not all that difficult, especially since there are multiple topics in various places that explain what to do and even provide examples.

On the other hand I just had an experience in the past day where information on a topic I was interested in WAS available and yet even though I knew the general place to find the information I managed to miss the specific details I needed. It can happen to any of us. With a small oversight important details can be missed.

--
                                  Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.