How to connect a 3g usb modem with connman?

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-21/22 “Grup Yorum” How to connect a 3g usb modem with connman?

• This topic has 55 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated Jan 20-8:17 am by wilson.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    wilson

Hello, I have been using antiX since version 17, and I could connect to the internet with connman, more or less easily. I have tried these antiX versions, with these results:

19.3: the best version that allows me to connect a Huawei e188 modem, it has the necessary packages.

19.4: it has the necessary packages, it jumps directly to the wifi and I have had some complications to connect the modem.

21.0: Check and it seems to me that this version does not have the necessary packages: ofono, modem manager, nor the gprs edge umts panel (invaluable utility, I think it was programmed by Anticapitalista, I think I saw it in synaptic).

I may be wrong in my appraisals, because I am a newbie who is just trying to learn.

Please, if you could help me and those who use this type of modem again by including these packages and also explaining to me how to install the 3g usb modem (also known as dongle, usb stick …) in antiX 21, if it is still possible.

In summary:

If possible, could you include these packages again: ofono, modem manager, the gprs edge umts panel? (I don’t know if others are necessary, those are the ones I remember at the moment).

Can someone explain to me how to install a 3g modem, dongle, usb stick, (if possible the huawei e188) in antiX 21?

Note: Sorry if there is any error when expressing myself, I am from Venezuela and my language is Spanish.

Congratulations, for the great job the antiX Team does. Thanks.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by wilson.
      • This topic was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by wilson.
      ModdIt

Hi wilson a quick check in synaptic showed the packages are available in bullseye.
        easy, you could have done that bit for sure.

sudo apt update && sudo apt install umts-panel2 modemmanager ofono

Maybe try to use those as you are used too then ask again if neccesary.

wilson

Thanks ModdIt, for responding. Another question, why exclude the packages ofono, modem manager and the gprs edge umts panel? I say this because where we are the internet is difficult to obtain and we help ourselves with antiX through these modems. It would be very helpful to leave them in the distribution, as in the previous versions. At the moment, I have antiX 19.3 installed.

ModdIt

Hi wilson,
            the problem anticapitalista has is constantly being accused of releasing a bloated distro, very hard to decide what to include or even know what others badly need.

Maybe it would be possible as an interim option to have a modem support option in the packet installer.
            Perhaps later inclusion in a distro update. that is not up to me so definitely no promises, it would fit well with the distro aim, keeping older hardware alive and giving as much support to users everywhere in the world as possible.

There may also be dependency issues due to changes in debian which antiX is based on and/or system D removal. Inclusion of the packages in debian Bullseye repo does not automaticaly mean they will install cleanly in antiX.

In your situation I would, for now stick to the tried and tested 19.4 as I have decided to do on my old thinkpad t420.
            it is pretty easy to keep up to date with important packages so my personal recommendation is better not to rush.

Do, if you really must move to antiX 21 test well, use a live stick for a while if at all possible.

I pass on an an antiX setup for local needs, once things work as expected I use the antiX tool to make an ISO, that can be given to others with similar needs.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by ModdIt.
            • This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by ModdIt.
            ModdIt

Hi wilson,
              for antix 21 Bullseye, please make sure you are fully updated, take a look in packet installer network tab.
              Modem support :-).

wilson

Hi Moddit, thank you and sorry for the delay. I had time without entering the forum. Really, thanks for answering my questions. I am very grateful. He did not imagine that Anticapitalista would have such difficulties. When it comes to software selection, I agree with you when you say, “The goal of distribution is to continue to keep older hardware alive and to provide the best possible support to users around the world.” Here I add: Internet is important nowadays, so I suggest you keep the support for these modems with the necessary software within the same distribution. You are also correct in what you say about Debian, as it has been updated, there are many changes and some things may not work or not work as expected. Sounds like a good suggestion to me, okay, I’ll try antiX 19.4, for now.

I had tried antiX 21 but the lack of the necessary software to run the 3g modem made me uninstall it.

Me? Create an ISO? In that I have no experience, at the moment what I have done is install and make basic configurations that I have read in this same forum.

I understood, from your answer, that the software for the modem support is in the software center and not within antiX. It’s true?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by wilson.
                wilson

Hi Moddit, have you updated antiX 21? In the version that I downloaded I did not find that option. If it has been updated, I will download it to test it and see the option. Thank you.

Observation: I have searched if they have updated to antiX 21 but I have not seen anything (as they have done with antix 19.4, 19.3 …, and so on), I imagine that it follows the same version 21.

wilson

Hello again. I was researching antiX 21 (in relation to the modems and the packages that make its operation possible, which is the central theme of this publication) and I got the following results:

1.- The umts-panel2: I looked for it in synaptic and it explained that the package apparently is not available, and also has some dependencies that are not compatible with debian 11.

2.- “Hi wilson,
                    for antix 21 Bullseye, please make sure you are fully updated, take a look in packet installer network tab.
                    Modem support :-).”

Moddit, I looked for that option in the antix software installer and couldn’t find it.

3.- I don’t know if by installing the packages independently they can work without additional configurations.

I’m investigating, to see what result I get.

Excuse my lack of knowledge.

wilson

I made a bootable pendrive, with persistence, to do these tests and something strange happened to me:

antix deleted the menus: accessories, graphics, internet, office, preferences …! Except for the system !! The software is accessible, but in other ways! (???)

wilson

Actually, I don’t know how to make the modem work in antiX 21.

wilson

I will check the forum more often in case new information comes out.

Again, thank you very much.

caprea

antix deleted the menus: accessories, graphics, internet, office, preferences …! Except for the system !! The software is accessible, but in other ways! (???)

I have seen this during beta-phase of antiX21, but nobody else did.

If I remember right it’s solved by reinstalling desktop-session-antix with synaptic or from terminal
                            sudo apt install --reinstall desktop-session-antix

1.- The umts-panel2: I looked for it in synaptic and it explained that the package apparently is not available, and also has some dependencies that are not compatible with debian 11.

umts-panel2 is available in antiX21. This is from antiX21

apt-cache policy umts-panel2
                            umts-panel2:
                              Installed: 0.3.2
                              Candidate: 0.3.2
                              Version table:
                             *** 0.3.2 500
                                    500 http://ftp.cc.uoc.gr/mirrors/linux/mx/antix/buster buster/main amd64 Packages
                                    500 http://ftp.cc.uoc.gr/mirrors/linux/mx/antix/buster buster/main i386 Packages
                                    100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
                            ModdIt

Hi wilson, good you are ok.

regarding antix deleted the menus: accessories, graphics, internet, office, preferences

Should the answer caprea gave not help, very rare experience but have seen that on a few occasions.

Use the control center last tab, menu management (i think) I am in german language right now.
                              use Show items. You can multiple select by holding strg key then clicking items, refresh menu.

You can also hide items in same place. I find that useful at times.

On a fully updated antix 21 system you can find modem setup in network tab control center.
                              Should you need more help please just ask, we do our best.

christophe

Regarding this issue:

wilson wrote:

I came across this (rarely), and fixed by simply cicking “refresh menu” on the main menu. (A simple fix, so I just wanted to mention, to try that first.)

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2019

wilson

Hi Caprea, thank you. Although as I did not know I reinstalled antiX.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.