How to connect a 3g usb modem with connman?

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-21/22 “Grup Yorum” How to connect a 3g usb modem with connman?

• This topic has 55 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated Jan 20-8:17 am by wilson.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    olsztyn

You could try sakis3g.
      Download and install the deb for your architecture.

Install worked fine for me (antiX 21 Runit -64). Not that I need it now, but it is nice to have connection options…
      However a related question comes to my mind:
      All major cell companies phase out 3G, relying exclusively on LTE, as I understand. I am not sure the same happens in Europe.
      If it is so, then 3G is already either dead or will be dead shortly. So what are current options for Internet connectivity other than typical WiFi connecting to cellphone HotSpot if away from home and public WiFi providers?
      Still being dependent on someone providing connectivity. It would be nice if technology and ‘business model’ eventually allows connecting to communication satellites, perhaps for basic bandwidth at least…
      Now, this idea would be a far fetched imagination, as governments and large corporation would not want to relinquish control over people, control of if and when people are let communicate with each other and information they access…

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by olsztyn.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
      http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

caprea

Sorry ,wilson, for the late response ( I had my third booster-shot today after work)
        and some confusion
        The umts-panel2 I showed is obviously from antiX19, my false, not sure how this happened.

I downloaded sakis3g ,and it really looks promising.
        To start it you have to enter in terminal
        sudo sakis3g --interactive
        It has a basic GUI

Unfortunately I can’t try it till the end because even though I own a umts-modem, the card of the provider is no longer valid.
        But sakis3g sees the modem and tries to connect.

Might give it a last chance.

Forum Admin
        anticapitalista

Sakis3G should show up in the menu after installation – under Internet.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

caprea

It does not start from menu here.I have not yet taken a closer look why.

Forum Admin
            rokytnji

So what are current options for Internet connectivity other than typical WiFi connecting to cellphone HotSpot if away from home and public WiFi providers?

My 4g Samsung Phone hotlinks with my AntiX Chromebook by a campfire in the middle of the desert and mountains with no signal other than satellite.

So any 4g dongle should be good. Probably easier than a phone since a dongle does not require approval from you to hotlink to your connection manager.
              http://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/usb-4g-lte-advanced-modem-gnulinux-tpe-usb4glte

Just posting a linux compatible one with drivers already in the kernel for it.

With the EM7455 chip selected (in MBIM mode):Debian 9, 10, 11

Edit; Not sure why you are against hotlinking? Usually here in the USA. I can pick up a used Blackberry wifi 4 phone for less than a dongle. Must be different in the EU.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by rokytnji.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
              I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
              Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
              How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

olsztyn

My 4g Samsung Phone hotlinks with my AntiX Chromebook by a campfire in the middle of the desert and mountains with no signal other than satellite.

Could you please clarify what you mean by ‘no signal other than satellite’?
                In my understanding you still need cell provider signal and service (such as Verizon, AT&T, etc.) to have connectivity to world… If you use 4G dongle indicates to me you do use cell signal and cell provider service to connect. Unless you mean you hotlink your phone and laptop only, with no connectivity to outside world?

Brian Masinick

Yeah, 4G service DOES imply connection to a provider. What roki is saying is that in his area, that service doesn’t typically get there via cell phone towers; the service in his area comes through network services beamed via satellite technology, which apparently some providers do use in remote areas.

The first time I ever used satellite technology for phone service was in the EARLY 1980s. I was working at General Motors, and they had an extensive, worldwide long distance network. Until the US and the phone companies “divested” their business into various pieces, there was ONLY AT&T, MCI, and maybe a few minor others. For data communications, you still had to go through one of them unless you built your own. GM was looking into that, and tried testing, buying, or leasing various technologies, including satellite communications. But in those days, the only satellites in service for telecommunications had pretty high orbits, so there was a 1/2 to 1 second “propagation delay”. The calls were remarkably clear, only there was a definite DELAY.

These days, whether satellite, microwave tower, fiber optic, or coaxial cable technology is used, all of them are much faster than they were. The “transceiver” technology that transfers from the physical media to the telephony and computer circuitry has also vastly improved, allowing not only megabit, but now gigabit, and potentially even higher speeds. So being in a remote desert, though it does “limit” the options, today even there we do have some options, and the costs have come down, perhaps not as much as we’d like, but back in the eighties, these costs were prohibitive; today they are affordable to most, and downright cheap in some cases.

--
                  Brian Masinick

olsztyn

Yeah, 4G service DOES imply connection to a provider. What roki is saying is that in his area, that service doesn’t typically get there via cell phone towers; the service in his area comes through network services beamed via satellite technology, which apparently some providers do use in remote areas.

Thank you Brian, for shedding some light on this mystery… I did not know some cell service providers do use satellite communication in some remote areas where there are no cell towers anywhere close…
                    So a reasonable satellite technology does exist after all…
                    Thanks and Regards…
                    Happy New Year!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by olsztyn.

wilson

Greetings, anti-capitalist. I haven’t tried sakis3g yet. I tried with the guide that Moddlt gave me, I made several configurations with that guide, from another computer with antix 19.3, but it did not work. I will try sakis3g. As soon as I get results, I will report it and if it was successful, I will report how I could do it.

I am very surprised, the people in the forum are very attentive, friendly and willing to help. I really appreciate all of you who have responded to me. Thanks a lot.

wilson

Greetings, olsztyn. Here in Venezuela 3g technology is still used. The modem that I am trying to configure is a 3g Huawei e188 modem, provided by Movilnet, which still works with this technology.

wilson

Greetings caprea, do not worry. Neither did I, I was trying these days, for the holidays and supporting my sister because my niece fell and they had to operate on her. In my spare time I am dedicating myself to doing this research.

Thank you for explaining to me that you have to use sakis3g by terminal. I thought that since it is a deb package, I should install it.

wilson

Greetings, anticapitalist. So if I should install sakis3g as a normal deb package? I ask you, for what caprea mentioned to me, before using it by terminal. I ask you why I am not with that computer yet.

wilson

Greetings rokytnji. As I have responded to caprea: “Here in Venezuela 3g technology is still used. The modem that I am trying to configure is a 3g Huawei e188 modem, provided by Movilnet, which still works with this technology”. Conditions in Venezuela are a little different than in the United States today.

caprea

First download the package from the link anticapitalista provided and install it.
                                The installation will create a menu entry, but sakis will not open from there.
                                From the terminal with the above command it will start with a GUI.

Forum Admin
                                rokytnji

@wilso

My Samsung S10 4g phone contract which is with Verizon Mobile I pay for hot linking and data streaming. Once paid for I have to give my phone permission to open up and let my chromebook which has AntiX 19 on it, presently. To see the phone connection now as a access point. My phone provides the password. To put in my antiX connection manager which happens to be connman.

I’ve been connecting like this since antiX was wicd as a connection manager on older antiX releases.

Not sure how Venezuela phone providers or Huawei phones operated. That is for you to understand how it is done through researching on your own. I’d look, but you are local and have better access than I.

I do know I have to go through the connection steps fast. As phone screen blips sometimes and throws one out of what one is doing because of how you holding the phone and what finger is touching a switch or what ever. HTH. Good Luck with it.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
                                  I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
                                  Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
                                  How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.