How to disable laptop touchpad

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions How to disable laptop touchpad

• This topic has 12 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Apr 2-1:11 pm by afghan.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Please! TIA

--
    dukester

OFF = synclient TouchpadOff=1
    ON = synclient TouchpadOff=0

You guys are SO helpful here! LOL
    I should use Google more often!!!

--
    dukester

thanks for following up to post the solution

You’re welcome! My pleasure! Having fun with antiX!!

--
    dukester

Hi dukester,
    you might want to bind these commands to a button, to prevent you from typing them again and again.
    See https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/simple-icewm-startup-example-with-programs-and-wifi/#post-43866
    for details how you can manage this.

Or, if you just want it disabled all the time just add the command string to your startup file.

seaken64

capreacaprea

Or if you enjoy playing with even more options, like turning off the touchpad with simple commands like padoff, padon
    or just turning it off automatically only while typing on the keyboard

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/easy-way-to-disable-touchpad/

Thanks everybody for the excellent tips!!

--
    dukester

Where can one locate this synclient?

capreacaprea

synclient is part of the package xserver-xorg-input-synaptics, which should be installed by default.
    It’s installed under /usr/bin/synclient

Yes,but the bin files are binary and are un-editable.Obviously I want alter the settings can some tell me where they are and how

SOLVED!
    Thanks for your help,I had overlooked the #55967 comment; furthermore I have given a .bash_aliases alternative
    in #56946

afghanafghan

Yes,but the bin files are binary and are un-editable.Obviously I want alter the settings can some tell me where they are and how

Perhaps if you elaborate more on what exactly it is you want to do, maybe then somebody can help you.

In addition to binding the synclient command to some key combo, I put in a set of udev rules to deactivate the touchpad automatically whenever I plug in a mouse, and activates it when I remove the mouse. I create a file /etc/udev/rules.d/20-touchpad-mouse.rules with the following contents:

# Deactivate Touchpad (when Mouse is connected)
    ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="input", KERNEL=="mouse[0-9]", ENV{DISPLAY}=":0.0", ENV{XAUTHORITY}="/home/afghan/.Xauthority", ENV{ID_CLASS}="mouse", RUN+="/usr/bin/synclient TouchpadOff=1"

# Activate Touchpad (when Mouse is removed)
    ACTION=="remove", SUBSYSTEM=="input", KERNEL=="mouse[0-9]", ENV{DISPLAY}=":0.0", ENV{XAUTHORITY}="/home/afghan/.Xauthority", ENV{ID_CLASS}="mouse", RUN+="/usr/bin/synclient TouchpadOff=0"

`
    Modify it to suit your environment, especially your home directory.

I hope this helps.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by afghan.

Beware of people who knows nothing; they are the ones that won't know that they know nothing.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.