How to edit antiX host file?

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions How to edit antiX host file?

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated Mar 14-11:58 pm by Robin.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    namida12

It is the AntiX adblocker that is installed that is blocking me from where I want to visit, and not the ISP?

I would like to try and edit the file, if that is easy and possible.

JR

Robin

I would like to try and edit the file, if that is easy and possible.

Head for antiX control centre, section network → add block
        And just let it deactivate all the blocks to give it a try.

You may also edit this file manually, if you know what you are doing. Writing it back to disk needs root permissions.

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

namida12

Robin,

Thanks only need to remove one, or block it…

JR

Robin

only need to remove one, or block it

Hi Namida12,

then just find its line in the /etc/hosts file and modify it according to your needs.

If opening this file in geany, you’ll see that the blocking simply works by sending the request for specific domains to the nirvana. To be precise: to the network address 0.0.0.0 so they are never resolved. Commenting out a specific entry by preceding it by a sharp sign # is enough already to allow it again, then it will be resolved by the default DNS in your network. It’s actually that easy. You also may remove a single entry from within a line to allow access, and restore it afterwards to block it again.

Never touch the first two entries reading 127.0.0.1 , localhost and your machine name. (and if you happen to run IPv6 also not the four IPv6 entries below these.)

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.