How to get HELP with an antiX PROBLEM

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions How to get HELP with an antiX PROBLEM

• This topic has 21 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Nov 3-2:48 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    BobC
      Helpful
      Up
      ::

punranger,

I never said nobody else should help people that won’t read, or watch videos, or provide reasonable information. You go ahead if you like to, but you and I both know where that path leads…

I didn’t even say that I wouldn’t help them, but at some point, I probably won’t.

I really don’t like “ticket systems”. My experience is they are just more frustration and work. But I don’t decide that here.

I just asked people to try and help us help them, and provided a decent roadmap of how to do it. I don’t think it was an unreasonable request.

punranger
        Helpful
        Up

I just asked people to try and help us help them, and provided a decent roadmap of how to do it. I don’t think it was an unreasonable request.

By no means was it an ureasonable request. On the contrary. But the thing that lingers in my mind is the question: How do you reach the people that need to be reasonally requested? And how do you make them follow through on your request? Like I said before: I wish you and all the good people here the best of luck with that ambition.

antiX linux: The best way to revive an old computer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCTaUAP6sSg

BobC
          Helpful
          Up

I just ask nicely and provide a link if they ask for help and didn’t provide it.

Make them? That’s not going to work, IMO. I’m not trying to make anyone do anything.

ModdIt
            Helpful
            Up

Punranger wrote How do you reach the people that need to be reasonally requested? And how do you make them follow through on your request?

No way we can force anyone. But I got so fed up (including during the last months) that users like the one in recent cant mount usb device thread
            will get ignored in future. Just too tiring…or even pointed to a you tube video from John Cooper Clark on After Dark.

If that gets me banned ok, antiX forum is in some cases putting kindness over common sense of late, it burns out and frustrates helpers..
            In some previous cases I am pretty sure posters were being shitty for fun and hoping to get RTFM as an answer to be able to pull down the distro and
            forum in social media or on YT.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by ModdIt.
            Brian Masinick
              Helpful
              Up

Here’s the link to the main thread;
              Lots of different comments and exchange.

I personally don’t mind the difference of opinion as long as we can have these discussions without degrading into personal attacks; at that point if I spot such things I’ll take action.

So feel free to share different opinions; we ought to be healthy enough to embrace them. The antiX distribution is very different and I’m here because I have enjoyed the difference and diversity for just under two decades HERE and nearly THREE decades personally using Linux software and 40 years this year of using either UNIX or Linux software!

Please do your best to contribute in positive ways to this antiX effort; it’s NOT a money making endeavor; it’s an effort to make old equipment functional for people who may have limited options otherwise.

So whether we personally have much or little, let’s work on what we can actually share, a fantastic distribution.

Reference to this page thread:

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/how-to-get-help-with-an-antix-problem/

Brian
              Or "The Mas"

seaken64
                Helpful
                Up

@rokytnji @BobC @Brian Masinick

I appreciate all of you. And everyone else here who has helped me understand Linux, Debian, and antiX over the years.

Personally, folks who refuse to read and learn tire me out. It’s the world we live in. Few people want to read and experiment anymore. They want a quick fix and whine and complain when things don’t work the way they expect.

antiX is not the same as other distros. Coming in to antiX and complaining that things work differently is irresponsible, and weak. I have no sympathy for folks who refuse to read and try things for themselves. There are other options for them. I always suggest that antiX is not for them.

I have said this before (should anyone actually choose to use the search function and find past threads on this subject), antiX does not need to be everything to everyone. It does not need to be “mainstream” and “popular”. It is a good distro for a particular subset of people. People who read and try and experiment. People who make “spins” and custom works based on Core. Or people like me, who accept it for what it is and use it effectively to make use of some VERY old computers that have long been abandoned by most of the rest of the Linux community.

I will always appreciate @skidoo and how he would post resources for me to read when I had a question. That was enormously helpful. Just the same for roky’s post above to the Debian resources. And Brian’s old post on how to use Core to set up a personalized version of antiX with XFCE. I do not whine and stomp me feet like a teenager who has just been told to read the manual and try again. I am not a child. I am an adult who has learned to take the responsibility to learn and think for myself.

I own a small business in my community. I respect that people want things done their way. But their way may not fit my way of doing business. In these cases I let them walk. I have plenty of customers and do not need to be everything to everyone. There are other choices for people who do not fit my way of doing business. A customer cannot slap down $10,000 on my counter and say I want it done by the end of the month. I don’t work that way. I do things differently than that customer expects. There is a good chance that customer will not become my client.

@punranger, I appreciate your comments. But I disagree. That approach will not work here. BobC’s and roky’s and Brian’s approach is more in line with the antiX way.

Seaken64

Brian Masinick
                  Helpful
                  Up

Seaken64, thank you for your comments. I suspect that anticapitalista will greatly appreciate what you wrote.

I think that we do accommodate feedback and thoughts, and sometimes we at least provide TOOLS that allow people to set up their systems in different ways, but you are right; we are definitely NOT appealing to the ‘mass’ of people; we are specifically addressing old hardware and people who have enough initiative and savvy to make those systems work.

PPC has done a great job of adding lightweight tools to make some things just a little more comfortable and familiar but it’s not necessarily the highlight; it’s an extra tool that demonstrates what is possible…

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Brian Masinick.

Brian
                  Or "The Mas"

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.