How-to install applications – 2020 version

Forum Forums General Software How-to install applications – 2020 version

• This topic has 24 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated Jul 17-12:02 am by WantiX0.
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    kouroukinos77
    Helpful
    Up

thank you for your help !

$ uname -r
    4.9.212-antix.1-amd64-smp
    Mon retour de inxi -Fxz : https://pastebin.com/kqRMrRZZ
    my xmpp : weerbor@jabber.fr

Murdock2525
    Helpful
    Up

Good stuff. Stick to the included software as much as possible(deb repos too)
    appimages take a bit of play to get into the right places in menus.I much prefer .debz
    Never did snaps.
    Never played a game in my life…..other than competitive large and small bore silhouette—pistol and rifle,and IPSIC.
    Pool,darts,horseshoe,croquet…Nekkid Twister are acceptable.Surfing and skateboards were a lot of fun.
    I used to enjoy chess but now I’m old so Wuhan checkers are simpler

Jing-Jo
    Helpful
    Up

I am busy with antiX-19.4-runit-base .
    I would like to play midi files, but I seem to screw up every time I install.
    Rather than saying what I did or did not, I would like to have ( technically) extreme clear instructions about ( preferred/advised ) midi program to install and whatever to do.
    This install will have to go on usb3 stick ( for me and others new to antiX ) when all is finished.
    Please note, I had no problems that I can remember with antiX-19.4-full-TEST-iso.
    As I said, the problem is probably me. Well, being great-grand-father …… 🙂

Thank you

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

Hi Jing-Jo,
    for a non expert, what you state you are, the best advice is to take the 19.4-full-TEST-iso which you say gave you no problems
    then strip out what you do not need. Noting the changes you made last each time !.
    That way if you break things you know when.

I have quite a lot of experience modifying antiX (Other Linux flavours too) the recommendation is based on that fact, going the
    other way can take days of testing. My facit if you want to go that way please DIY, you will then learn why I gave above
    recommendation and a lot about antiX and the debian base too. Maybe including the crazy dependency chains of system D and its
    very ugly ally the gnome.

Jing-Jo
    Helpful
    Up

@Moddit
    Thanks for the advice.
    Whichever way I go, it will take time.
    I will postpone this for 3 days ( wed-thu-fri ) and let you know later.
    Note: as other music/video formats are included in the base-iso , why not include basic-midi-playing ? ? ?

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

What does ‘basic midi playing’ include (apps and libraries)?

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Jing-Jo
    Helpful
    Up

First, very sorry for the delay. Was caused by unforeseen trips outside the village.

With basic I mean: simply click on a midi file and it plays, regardless of which program you devs use !
    The same way as, when I see an mp4, I click on it and it plays. I see an mp3, I click on it and it plays.
    Programs for “simple play” can be determent by the developers. I can not judge what’s easy or not for you developers, to add to the iso !
    Samples are : 1–( not always simple ) –audacious + amidi plugin, which also will require fluid-soundfont-gm,( which will pull in fluid-common) plus need some configurations
    2–deadbeef with freepats
    3–Wildmidi ( WildMIDI is a simple software midi player which has a core softsynth library that can be used in other applications.)

So…I mean, I see a midi, I click on it and it plays !
    If not possible, well, so be it. Most distros < don’t > have midi installed/enabled !

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

Most distros < don’t > have midi installed/enabled !

Ever thought why?
    I’m guessing that the vast majority of users would see including it as unnecessary ‘bloat’.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Jing-Jo
    Helpful
    Up

Yes, you are right, That’s how they see it. It’s the result of a lack of education and absence of logical thinking.
    Instead of an editor, they also prefer an office suite to type a single letter.
    Where they can get away with qpdfview, they prefer ‘ Master PDF Editor “, just to read a pdf, etc etc.
    Anyway, thanks for the reply

WantiX0
    Helpful
    Up

That’s crazy that it doesn’t have MIDI built-in; it’s a tiny bit of software and small instrument sample models, and though I wouldn’t want to play old cellphone ringtones with it, it’s great for proofing in melodies and backbeats, adding indicators to linear algebra modeling in R, etc.
    Unfortunately without an idea of how many polyphony and chorus it’s capable of, it’s not the same as a MIDI box that’s like $7-800 from Musician’s Friend or whoever took over if they’ve gone chapter 7 (bankrupt.)

Of course you’d want to install a synth voice like Vocaloid, so you can make Vocaloid (the composers) albums.
    And if you play synth, maybe you’d want a real DAW with synths and distortion, vocals recording etc.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.