how to re-install X from terminal

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions how to re-install X from terminal

• This topic has 16 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Apr 2-9:30 am by Robin.
Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Hola muchachos,
    I cannot setup the wifi because it does not see any devices. I still copied the missing Xorg script and the xorg modules, but when I ran startx this time it could not find some fonts in a .so file. so I got tired of these manual copying and decided to re-install. I have a separate /home partition exactly in order to be able to deal with such occasions. the only headache is setting up emacs and R with all their packages and redoing the customizations I had.
    will not do “apt upgrade” in antix ever again.
    Thanks for everybody’s ideas.
    Christ is risen and so is my antix 🙂

will not do “apt upgrade” in antix ever again.

Before Upgrading packages it is always recommended to make a backup copy of your system. This is easily done in antiX, and in case the upgrade fails for some reason the only thing you have to do is to copy the system partition back from your backup, which costs few minutes only. I’ve heard people saying: “no backup — no pity“. Please learn from this experience.

Let me append some remarks to the upgrade of Live antiX (persistance). I noticed that meanwhile it is impossible to perform a complete upgrade on a fresh antiX 19.3 full on a computer with 2GB RAM installed. Some of the packages can’t get installed due to lack of free space, and it is impossible to remaster also. I’ve seen you have 3.6 GB RAM if I’m not mistaken, so maybe you ran into the same trap, which corrupted your system possibly. You should carefully watch whether all of the packages do install correctly, allways check the terminal output for this immediately.
    In case you also encounter the lack of memory problem on apt upgrade antiX, you’ll have to upgrade some packages in a first run (you need just to keep enough space left in memory for remastering), then save persistence and remaster, then reboot and again upgrade the next packages, save persistence and remaster and reboot again, and so on, until you have anything upgraded. And finally create a fresh backup copy of your upgraded system. This will keep you safe from experiences like what you have to moan about now.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by Robin.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by Robin.
Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.