How to remove Spammers

Forum Forums Administration Site Help How to remove Spammers

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated May 29-11:25 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ModdIt

Just now I removed, a confirmed Cryptocurrency advertising spam post in Vietnamese language.

Used an online translate and followed a link in the post to more ads. Poster registered in
    last 36 hours.Vietnamese Username.
    Some months ago we had same kind of problem. Post in Vietnamese. Again scam ads.

Question is how to take down spamming user. Who does it or who do I ask to do it.

For anything questionable I have direct support in VN. A Schoolteacher who can transtate
    content to english. if it makes sense to do so anyway.

In above case it was so clear I did not bother her.

fatmac
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

Basically if it’s not in a language that the forum supports, just delete it.
    If you want to, keep a note of the account used, if more spam appears, remove the user.

(Thanks for noticing, & dealing with it.)

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks for advice fatmac,

I watch the occasional vietnamese posts because i have friends there, and try to understand what is written.
    Had covid not killed my plans i would be looking after a couple of users in Ho Chi Minh, also planned to get
    contact to the local linux user group.

I think there is a lot of room for antiX and open source in VN, cambodia, Laos all are are mostly on old
    hardware and XP. if they have any kind of computer. Much is done by tapping the power of a smartphone.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

I’m wondering if there is a way to keep new users from joining for a couple of days and to remove users in the past 1-2 days.

Why? It appears that one or two people keep adding accounts and disturbing the peace in the forum. I’ve been away, and when I returned I found several inappropriate messages. They seem to be continuing. I have to be AWAY again; please be vigilant and if anyone can figure out what to do to keep the peace, I encourage it.

This is SAD. This used to be one of the most peaceful user communities; 2-3 people seem intent on ruining it. I ask for everyone’s cooperation.

WE can and SHOULD allow people to express different viewpoints as long as those viewpoints are not hostile. Please help moderate this weekend if possible.

Thanks! Brian

Brian Masinick

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.