How to set the ‘set gfxmode = 1024x768x16, 1024×768’ ?

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions How to set the ‘set gfxmode = 1024x768x16, 1024×768’ ?

How to set the 'set gfxmode = 1024x768x16, 1024x768'? / Como configurar o 'set gfxmode=1024x768x16, 1024x768'?

How to set the 'set gfxmode = 1024x768x16, 1024x768'? Como configurar o 'set gfxmode=1024x768x16, 1024x768'?

You must be logged in to participate.
  • This topic has 88 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Jul 19-5:22 pm by marcelocripe.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 87 total)
  • Author

Hello colleagues,

I apologize for the delay in returning with the test suggested by Xecure, is that I was installing antiX on the other machines and managed to configure them to be similar to what basic users are used to finding.

1 Test: I edited the text:
    Advanced options for antiX-19.2 Hnnie Schaft, “e” key

vga = quiet

for

vga = 791 xorg = openchrome

F10.

The video on the monitor remains visible with the command prompt, I entered the username and password,

user @ antix: ~
    $ startx {Enter}

X.Org X Server 1.20.4
    … Linux 4.9.0-8-amd64 x86_64 Debian

user / .local / share / xorg / Xorg.0.log ”for additional information. (EE) (EE) Server terminate with error (1). Closinglog file
    xinit: giving up
    xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
    xinit: server error

Xecure, I managed to do another test suggested by you, to install antiX again using the onborad video card of the motherboard, with another HD::

I changed the primary boot device to USB in the motherboard BIOS.

After loading into memory antiX Linux I selected the option antX-19.2 x64-full (27 March 2020) I pressed Enter.

Displayed error:
    [13.344255] minutes: SRST failed (errono = -16)
    [23.376397] minutes: SRST failed (error = -16)

You did not load the graphical mode to install antiX.

I restarted and after loading into memory antiX Linux I selected the Safe video Mode option, displayed:
    Displayed error:
    [13.344017] minutes: SRST failed (errono = -16)
    [23.376014] minutes: SRST failed (error = -16)

Then I loaded the extremely slow graphics mode, partitioned the HD and continued the installation process.

After restarting I changed the boot order to boot via HD, unfortunately the boot failed, I will need to check with other tests if the HD is defective.

marcelocripe

Original text in Brazilian Portuguese, translated into English by the Google translator.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by marcelocripe.

Olá colegas,

Peço desculpas pela demora em retornar com o teste sugerido pelo Xecure, é que eu estava instalando nas outras máquinas o antiX e consegui configurá-las para ficarem semelhantes aos que os usuários básicos estão acostumados a encontrar.

1 Teste: Editei o texto:
    Opções avançadas para antiX-19.2 Hnnie Schaft, tecla “e”

vga=quiet

para

vga=791 xorg=openchrome

F10.

O vídeo no monitor permanece visível com o prompt de comando, entrei com o usuário e a senha,

usuario@antix:~
    $ startx {Enter}

X.Org X Server 1.20.4
    … Linux 4.9.0-8-amd64 x86_64 Debian

usuario/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log” for additional information. (EE) (EE) Server terminate with error (1) . Closinglog file

Xecure, consegui fazer outro teste sugerido por você, de instalar novamente o antiX utilizando a placa de vídeo onborad da placa mãe, com outro HD:

Alterei o dispositivo de boot primário para USB na BIOS da placa mãe.

Após o carregamento na memória o antiX Linux selecionei a opção antX-19.2 x64-full (27 March 2020) pressionei Enter.

Exibiu erro:
    [13.344255] ata:SRST falied (errono=-16)
    [23.376397] ata:SRST falied (error=-16)

Não carregou o modo gráfico para fazer a instalação do antiX.

Reiniciei e após o carregamento na memória o antiX Linux selecionei a opção Safe video Mode, exibiu:
    Exibiu erro:
    [13.344017] ata:SRST falied (errono=-16)
    [23.376014] ata:SRST falied (error=-16)

Em seguida carregou o modo gráfico extremamente lento, particionei o HD e continuei o processo de instalação.

Após reiniciar alterei a ordem de boot para inicializar via HD, infelizmente o boot falhou, precisarei verificar com outros testes se o HD possui defeito.

marcelocripe

Texto original no idioma português do Brasil, traduzido para inglês pelo tradutor do Google.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by marcelocripe.
    XecureXecure

I think to keep trying stuff with the old install that only detects the nvidia card will not help much. The new one may be a good start.

Xecure, I managed to do another test suggested by you, to install antiX again using the onborad video card of the motherboard, with another HD::

Then I loaded the extremely slow graphics mode, partitioned the HD and continued the installation process.

After restarting I changed the boot order to boot via HD, unfortunately the boot failed, I will need to check with other tests if the HD is defective.

Edit the boot parameter for this installed system in the grub. Meaning:
    Boot the computer. in the grub menu, in the antiX entry, hit ‘e’ key and add the parameters at the end of the linux … line.

The line should look something similar to (except for the xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, that should contain the ID of our partition):
    linux /vmlinuz-4.9.212-antix.1-amd64-smp root=UUID=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ro vga=791 quiet

You must delete the vga=791 and also add xorg=openchrome. It could look like this:
    linux /vmlinuz-4.9.212-antix.1-amd64-smp root=UUID=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ro quiet xorg=openchrome

If this doesn’t work either, I would give up and accept you may need to wait for a dedicated external video card, like the one you used at the start of the topic.

This is as far as I can help. If seaken64, who has more experience than most about VIA cards, has some ideas, you could try them out.
    I will probably be away from the forum for a few days.

Good luck with your testing!

If there are no other good suggestions, if you have a copy of antiX17, I suggest you try the same boot permutations of cheat codes from flashdrive with antiX17 instead of antiX19. If you find one that works from flashdrive, you could try installing it.

I noticed that the newer version of Xorg in antiX19 gave my old Pentium II, and III machines video problems for the older nVidia cards, and maybe the old onboard VIA has the same problem.

@seaken64, please reread my last post. Then reread marcelocripe’s post.

Sorry to say this, but the problem on your old post has nothing to do with the problem marcelocripe is facing.
    marcelocripe DOES get the machine to work with nvdia card using nouveau driver, but after installing with nvidia card, somehow the graphic chip on the motherboard, the VIA graphic chip, is no longer listed as a graphic device. If the nvidia card is taken away for another machine that needs it, the system will NOT boot to a graphic environment, because it cannot find the other VIA graphic chip on the motherboard.

We have discovered that, on Safe Video mode, the VIA graphic chip does work (but badly/slowly). What we were trying to do is get the installed antiX to detect it and work with it (but right now that seems impossible). The next step would be to boot the live system with xorg=openchrome, as I suggested and you suggested in your first post here. If it can run well with this driver, then the machine can work without a video card.
    if it cannot work well enough without a video card, marcelocripe will have to wait until he gets a new one (donated by someone) to salvage the machine.

There is no need for xorg=nouveau, nouveau.modeset=1 nor anything like that because nouveau worked, and without the card those commands are not needed.

Ok, I understand. I am not an expert in this. I can only say that I have been able to get S3 VIA chips to work. My suggestion was only to say that “maybe” a “similar” approach (using cheatcodes at boot time) could be useful for troubleshooting.

I got a lot of help from BitJam when I was working on the problem with my P-III machine. He seemed interested in seeing if he could support my hardware. Maybe he can take a look here and see if he can support Marcel’s hardware.

It does seem there is some hardware “issue” when he removes the video card. Maybe the hardware for the built-in video got disabled. Anyway, like I said, I’m no expert. And I know Roki has said many times that he often just accepts the “Vesa” driver and leaves it at that. So I do know there is diminishing returns in continuing to attempt to make certain hardware work.

Seaken64

Hello dear colleagues, how are you?

I apologize for the delay, but time-consuming tests I can only perform on the weekend.

BobC if you can do me a favor and teach me the step by step or tutorial on how to use the cheat codes you suggested, you will be very welcome to me and to everyone who is reviving old computers or with computers that have chip sets of motherboard that antiX 19.2 does not have a compatible driver.

I managed to do more tests on the other computer, it really has a damaged onboard video card and will need to receive the GF MX4000 offboard video card.

Here are the results of the tests using the Via VT8237R Plus onboard video card from the MSI 238318 motherboard brand and model Semp Toshiba Info ES-1513:

1 – I installed Win XP SP3 and installed the video driver and the response was normal without any problem.

2 – I installed SliTaz 5.0-RC4 (image downloaded on 04-07-2020), the video was better on Win XP than on SliTaz, I realized that the answer was slightly slow compared to Win XP. (I hope I won’t be punished for naming other operating systems in this forum).

3 – I prepared the pendrive to boot with antiX-17.4.1_x64-full.iso, after boot, I selected F2 Language, with the right and up arrow, select Portuguese (BR) and Enter, the options menus were displayed in Portuguese, F3 São Paulo Time Zone. I selected antX-17.4.1 x64-full (28 March 2019) I hit Enter and what I didn’t want happened, stopped at the command prompt, I entered the user: demo and password: demo

demo @ antix: ~
    $ startx {Enter}

X.Org X Server 1.19.2
    release date: 2017-03-02
    X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
    … Linux 4.19.4-antix2-amd64-smp x86_64 antiX

… (EE) (EE) Server terminated for help (1). Closinglog file.

4 – I restarted the computer again and selected the second option: Safe Video Mode, the images fail, the response is slow, not as slow as in antiX 19.2.

Obs .: Wow! Since the antiX-17.4.1 menu and taskbar are very beautiful! I found antiX-17.4.1’s menu and taskbar simpler than antiX 19.2’s. It is clearer and easier to read. Another detail is that antiX-17.4.1 consumes about 114MB of RAM, the processing was about 54%.

I was able to complete the installation successfully, after the computer restarted with the boot configured to start via HD, antiX-17.4.1 was started with extreme difficulties in the video responses, similar to Safe Video Mode via pendrive.

Apparently antiX-17.4.1 also does not support this video card, but it behaved better than antiX 19.2, however it is still not feasible to use this computer with antiX until the video controller is resolved, which would be unfortunate not to use antiX due to the video.

If anyone has any more ideas they will be very welcome.

Anyway, I would like to thank everyone who collaborated with their considerations and teachings, certainly this post will be of great use to other colleagues.

marcelocripe

Original text in Brazilian Portuguese, translated into English by Google translator.

————–

Olá caro colegas, tudo bem com vocês?

Peço desculpas pela demora, mas testes demorados eu só conseguo realizar no final de semana.

BobC se você puder me fazer uma gentileza e me ensinar o passo a passo ou tutorial de como usar os códigos de trapaça que você sugeriu, serão muito bem vindos para mim e para todos que estejam revivendo computadores antigos ou com computadores que tenham chip set de placa-mãe que o antiX 19.2 não possui driver compatível.

Eu consegui fazer mais testes no outro computador, realmente está com a placa de vídeo onboard danificada e precisará receber a placa de vídeo offboard GF MX4000.

Seguem os resultados dos testes utilizando a placa de vídeo onboard Via VT8237R Plus da placa mãe MSI 238318 marca e modelo Semp Toshiba Info ES-1513:

1 – Instalei do Win XP SP3 e a instalação do driver de vídeo e a resposta foi normal sem qualquer problema.

2 – Instalei o SliTaz 5.0-RC4 (imagem baixada no dia 04-07-2020), o vídeo foi melhor no Win XP do que no SliTaz, percebi que a reposta apresentava pequena lentidão em relação ao Win XP. (Espero não ser punido por citar nome de outros sistemas operacionais neste fórum).

3 – Preparei o pendrive para inicializar com o antiX-17.4.1_x64-full.iso, após o boot, selecionei F2 Language, com a seta para direita e para cima, selecionar Português (BR) e Enter, os menus de opções foram exibidos em Português, F3 Fuso Horário de São Paulo. Selecionei antX-17.4.1 x64-full (28 March 2019) pressionei Enter e aconteceu o que eu não queria, parou no prompt de comando, entrei com o usuário: demo e a senha: demo

demo@antix:~
    $ startx {Enter}

X.Org X Server 1.19.2
    release date: 2017-03-02

… (EE) (EE) Server terminated for help (1) . Closinglog file.

4 – Reiniciei o computador novamente e selecionei a segunda opção: Safe Video Mode, as imagens falham, a resposta é lenta, não tão lenta como no antiX 19.2.

Obs.: Nossa! Como o menu e a barra de tarefas do antiX-17.4.1 são muito bonitos! Eu achei mais bonito o menu e a barra de tarefas mais simples do antiX-17.4.1 do que as do antiX 19.2. É mais claro e mais fácil para a leitura. Outro detalhe é que o antiX-17.4.1 consome cerca de 114MB de memória RAM, o processamento estava em cerca de 54%.

Eu consegui concluir a instalação com sucesso, após o computador reiniciar com o boot configurado para iniciar via HD, o antiX-17.4.1 foi iniciado com extrema dificuldades nas respostas do vídeo, semelhante ao Safe Video Mode via pendrive.

Ao que parece o antiX-17.4.1 também não tem suporte para esta placa de vídeo, mas se comportou melhor que o antiX 19.2, contudo ainda não é viável utilizar este computador com antiX até que se resolva o controlador de vídeo, o que seria lamentável não usar o antiX devido ao vídeo.

Caso alguém tenha mais alguma ideia será muito bem vinda.

De qualquer forma, agradeço a todos que colaboraram com suas considerações e ensinamentos, certamente esta postagem será de grande utilidade para outros colegas.

marcelocripe

Texto original em idioma português do Brasil, traduzido para o inglês por Google tradutor.

Ok, lets see if you get lucky 🙂

Do like you did in #4 above, on the boot screen don’t choose safe mode, and instead on the line with quiet try adding:

xorg=vesa

if that doesn’t work, instead try:

xorg=openchrome

BobC,

5 – With the pendrive ready to boot with antiX-17.4.1_x64-full.iso, after the boot, I selected F2 Language, with the arrow to the right and up, select Portuguese (BR) and Enter, in Boot option:

quiet splash=v disable=lx

I changed it to:

xorg=vesa

Enter

AntiX-17.4.1 64 bit was able to load in graphic mode, the video is slow, better than booting with Safe Video Mode, however it is not yet possible to play a local video or access Youtube.

6 – With the pendrive ready to boot with antiX-17.4.1_x64-full.iso, after the boot, I selected F2 Language, with the right and up arrow, select Portuguese (BR) and Enter, in Boot option:

I changed it to:

xorg=openchrome

Enter

AntiX-17.4.1 64 bit, failed to load in graphical mode, stopped at the command prompt, I entered the user: demo and the password: demo

demo @ antix: ~
    $ startx {Enter}

X.Org X Server 1.19.2
    Release date: 2017-03-02

… (EE) (EE) Server terminated for help (1). Closinglog file.

Do the results of these tests help in any way?

marcelocripe

Original text in Brazilian Portuguese, translated into English by Google translator.

—————–

BobC,

5 – Com o pendrive preparado para inicializar com o antiX-17.4.1_x64-full.iso, após o boot, selecionei F2 Language, com a seta para direita e para cima, selecionar Português (BR) e Enter, em Opção de inicialização:

Alterei para:

xorg=vesa

Enter

O antiX-17.4.1 64 bit conseguiu carregar em modo gráfico, o vídeo está lento, melhor do que inicializando com Safe Video Mode, contudo ainda não é possível tocar um vídeo local ou acessar o Youtube.

6 – Com o pendrive preparado para inicializar com o antiX-17.4.1_x64-full.iso, após o boot, selecionei F2 Language, com a seta para direita e para cima, selecionar Português (BR) e Enter, em Opção de inicialização:

Alterei para:

xorg=openchrome

Enter

O antiX-17.4.1 64 bit, não conseguiu carregar em modo gráfico, parou no prompt de comando, entrei com o usuário: demo e a senha: demo

demo@antix:~
    $ startx {Enter}

X.Org X Server 1.19.2
    Release date: 2017-03-02

… (EE) (EE) Server terminated for help (1) . Closinglog file.

Os resultados destes testes ajudam de alguma forma?

marcelocripe

Texto original em idioma português do Brasil, traduzido para o inglês por Google tradutor.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by marcelocripe.
    • This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by marcelocripe.

At least xorg=vesa worked partially.

Sorry, I don’t have any more suggestions.

I thank everyone who collaborated and helped me.

What I could understand, after all the tests, is that the commands “called” the video controllers available in antiX, would it be possible to install other controllers via Safe Video Mode?

In case it is not possible, unfortunately, we have found that on some hardware antiX Linux will not be able to work, which is a shame …

Thank you.
    marcelocripe

—————-

Agradeço a todos que colaboraram e me ajudaram.

O que pude compreender, após todos os testes, é que os comandos “chamavam” os controladores de vídeo disponíveis no antiX, seria possível instalar outros controladores via Safe Video Mode?

Caso não seja possível, infelizmente, descobrimos que em alguns hardware o antiX Linux não conseguirá funcionar, o que é uma pena …

Muito Obrigado.
    marcelocripe

Your best choice would be to install a video card that is recognized and supported by both your machine and antiX19. I don’t think you want to use safe mode unless you need to. In general video cards that are supported by Debian 10 (they have a supported hardware list) should also work with antiX19.

If you a similar computer you could test it via USB to see if antiX19 video works, and then get a similar video card for this machine?

XecureXecure

I thought I had searched the forums previously, but it seems I didn’t do it well enough. Today, searching for something else, I discovered this message by anticapitalista:

This is a direct copy from the post by hazel (many thanks) over at linuxquestions.org forums.

how-to-make-openchrome-driver-work-with-antix-19

Problem:
    Some old video drivers do not work easily with modern kernels. The openchrome driver, used for Via Chrome graphics is one that does not. The problem is the kernel flag CONFIG_IO_STRICT_DEVMEM which, for security reasons, prevents userspace programs from accessing hardware registers. This prevents these drivers from mapping the framebuffer unless special steps are taken.
    Symptoms:
    The installation disc may fail to start X unless a safe mode boot is selected. In the installed system, the vesa driver is used instead of the chip-specific driver, but it gives very poor results with tearing and ghost cursors, especially when there is a load on the cpu.
    Solution:
    1. Use the kernel command line parameter “iomem=relaxed”. This allows proper framebuffer mapping. For a one-off boot in this mode, simply press “e” when you see the GRUB menu, to enter edit mode. Scroll down to the kernel command line and add the required parameter.

2. To make the change permanent, you need to edit (as root) the /etc/default/grub file. There is a line in the file for the kernel command line. Simply add the “iomem=relaxed” parameter to this line. Then run update-grub. Every subsequent update of GRUB will include the new parameter.

3. This change alone makes the vesa driver work much better. The image is sharper, there is no tearing and no ghosts. However there may still be problems with the video mode, causing a mismatch between the picture size and the screen. This disappears when you use the card-specific driver. But because this driver was not in use during installation, you must either edit it into /etc/X11/xorg.conf in place of the vesa driver or add an extra configuration file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d, for example:

Section "Device"
       Identifier "Videocard0"
       Driver     "Openchrome"
       VendorName "Via"
    EndSection

Maybe try this on the installed system that does kind of detect the via card.

Xecure,

I do not understand the explanation of the link posting: https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/antix-mx-linux-127/how-to-make-openchrome-driver-work-with-antix-19-a -4175664747 /.

I don’t know which line in the grub file located in / etc / default I should insert “iomem = relaxed”,

Starting antiX 19.2 64-bit in graphics mode, with SpaceFm, I accessed the xorg.conf file located in / etc / X11 /, I managed to make the change:

in

Section "Device"
       Identifier "Device0"
       "Vesa" driver
       EndSection

for

Section "Device"
       Identifier "Videocard0"
       "Openchrome" driver
       VendorName "Via"
    EndSection

I saved the file.

In the terminal I updated the grub:

$sudo update-grub {Enter}

In the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d directory there is only the synaptics.conf file, should I insert any more parameters?

After changing the xorg.conf file, I restarted antiX 19.2 and stopped again in text mode and does not load graphics mode with the $ startx {Enter} command.

I think there is little left to work.

Thankful.
    marcelocripe

Original text in Brazilian Portuguese, translated into English by the Google translator.

———-

Xecure,

Eu não estou entendendo a explicação da postagem do link: https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/antix-mx-linux-127/how-to-make-openchrome-driver-work-with-antix-19-a-4175664747/.

Eu não sei em qual linha do arquivo grub localizado em /etc/default eu deverei inserir o “iomem=relaxed”,

Iniciando no modo gráfico o antiX 19.2 64 bits, com o SpaceFm, acessei o arquivo xorg.conf localizado em /etc/X11/, eu consegui fazer a alteração:

de

Section "Device"
       Identifier "Device0"
       Driver     "vesa"
       EndSection   

para

Section "Device"
       Identifier "Videocard0"
       Driver     "Openchrome"
       VendorName "Via"
    EndSection   

Salvei o arquivo.

No terminal atualizei o grub:

$sudo update-grub {Enter}

No diretório /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d só existe o arquivo synaptics.conf, eu deverei inserir mais algum parâmetro?

Após a alteração no arquivo xorg.conf, reiniciei o antiX 19.2 e parou novamente no modo texto e não carrega o modo gráfico com o comando $startx {Enter}.

Eu acho que falta pouco para funcionar.

Grato.
    marcelocripe

Texto original no idioma português do Brasil, traduzido para inglês pelo tradutor do Google.

XecureXecure

I don’t know which line in the grub file located in / etc / default I should insert “iomem = relaxed”,

The same place as all boot options you have added previously.

Anyway, it was just an idea. We would need someone else to get theirs to work and follow their steps. I don’t think there is much else you could do. Sometimes we can only give up.

Xecure,

You’re right, sometimes it’s better to give up.

But I can’t give up on a working computer, I believe you already understand the reason …
    The computer with Via VT8237R Plus onboard video card will stay with SliTaz, until someone can collaborate on this post. Which means that I will have to be even more patient, in having to learn the two Linux distributions, antiX and SliTaz. However I am having valuable help in this forum, in the other forum the speed of help is slow, it seems that, there is only one person struggling alone to maintain the other forum, some of the various questions are left or have been left unanswered. In this forum I already know that I can count on your support and the support of other colleagues who seem to know antiX from front to back, back to front and inside out.

Unfortunately, we found that antiX Linux will not be able to work well with Via VT8237R Plus chipset, which is a shame…

I thank you and everyone who collaborated and helped me in this post.

Thank you.
    marcelocripe

————-

Xecure,

Você tem razão, às vezes é melhor desistir.

Mas eu não posso desistir de um computador que está funcionando, acredito que você já até entenda o motivo …
    O computador com placa de vídeo onboard Via VT8237R Plus vai ficar com o SliTaz, até que alguém possa colaborar nesta postagem. O que significa que terei que ter ainda mais paciência, em ter que aprender as duas distribuições Linux, o antiX e o SliTaz. Contudo eu estou tendo ajudas valiosas neste fórum, no outro fórum a velocidade da ajuda é devagar, ao que parece é que, só tem uma pessoa lutando sozinho para manter o outro fórum, algumas das várias perguntas ficam ou ficaram sem respostas. Neste fórum eu já sei que posso contar com o seu apoio e com o apoio de outros colegas que parecem conhecer o antiX de frente para trás, de trás para frente e do avesso.

Infelizmente, descobrimos que o antiX Linux não conseguirá funcionar bem com chipset Via VT8237R Plus, o que é uma pena …

Agradeço a você e a todos que colaboraram e me ajudaram nesta postagem.

Muito Obrigado.
    marcelocripe

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 87 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.