How to set the ‘set gfxmode = 1024x768x16, 1024×768’ ?

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions How to set the ‘set gfxmode = 1024x768x16, 1024×768’ ?

How to set the 'set gfxmode = 1024x768x16, 1024x768'? / Como configurar o 'set gfxmode=1024x768x16, 1024x768'?

How to set the 'set gfxmode = 1024x768x16, 1024x768'? Como configurar o 'set gfxmode=1024x768x16, 1024x768'?

You must be logged in to participate.
  • This topic has 88 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Jul 19-5:22 pm by marcelocripe.
Viewing 12 posts - 76 through 87 (of 87 total)
  • Author

BobC and Brian,

I was able to run recent internet browsers on antiX 16.3, Firefox 78.0.2 64-bit, Chromium 71.0.3578.98 64-bit in format and LibreOfficePtBR in AppImage format, all that is missing is the keyboard to be configured in br-abnt2. Please, if someone knows how to configure and can help me, antiX 16.3 will be on this computer. Especially because I need to continue studying the various suggestions from colleagues posting the link https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/suggestions-about-antix-linux-to-developers-and-maintainers/page/2/

Thankful.

marcelocripe

————

BobC e Brian,

Eu consegui rodar os navegadores de internet recentes no antiX 16.3, Firefox 78.0.2 64 bits, Chromium 71.0.3578.98 64 bits em formato e o LibreOfficePtBR em formato AppImage, só falta o teclado ser configurado em br-abnt2. Por favor, se alguém souber como configurar e puder me ajudar, o antiX 16.3 ficará neste computador. Até porque eu preciso continuar estudando as várias sugestões dos colegas da postagem do link https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/suggestions-about-antix-linux-to-developers-and-maintainers/page/2/

Grato.

marcelocripe

Marcelo, try this at the terminal, and see if it works:
    Marcelo, tente isto, no terminal e diga se funciona:

setxkbmap -model abnt2 -layout br -variant abnt2

if it works, there are ways to make the change permanent: https://www.vivaolinux.com.br/topico/ArchLinux/Teclado-ABNT2-1

P.

PPC,

Thank you for responding.

The command worked perfectly, but when I restarted the computer it lost its configuration again.

The link guides you to edit the lang.sh file in the /etc/profile.d/lang.sh directory, but in antiX 16.3 there is no lang.sh file. Why would I need to create this file?

Could you help me make the configuration permanent?

In the keyboard file in the / etc / default / keyboard directory, the original parameters are:

XKBMODEL = "pc105"
    XKBLAYOUT = "br-abnt2, us"
    XKBVARIANT = ""
    XKBOPTIONS = "grp: alt_shift_toggle, terminate: ctrl_alt_bksp, grp_led: scroll"

I tried to edit the file as root, removing the “us”, then replacing XKBOPTIONS = “grp: alt_shift_toggle, terminate: ctrl_alt_bksp, grp_led: scroll” with XKBOPTIONS = ”
    setxkbmap -model abnt2 -layout br -variant abnt2 “, I tried to include, XKBVARIANT =” abnt2 “, but the abnt2 pattern does not remain.

Thankful.
    marcelocripe

Original text in Brazilian Portuguese, translated into English by the Google translator.

————-

PPC,

Agradeço por responder.

O comando funcionou perfeitamente, mas quando reiniciei o computador voltou a perder a configuração.

No link orienta que é para editar o arquivo lang.sh do diretório /etc/profile.d/lang.sh, mas no antiX 16.3 não existe arquivo lang.sh. POr acaso seria necessário criar este arquivo?

Poderia me ajudar a tornar a configuração permanente?

No arquivo keyboard do diretório /etc/default/keyboard, os parâmetros originais são:

XKBMODEL="pc105"
    XKBLAYOUT="br-abnt2,us"
    XKBVARIANT=""
    XKBOPTIONS="grp:alt_shift_toggle,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp,grp_led:scroll"

Eu tentei editar o arquivo como root, removendo o “us”, depois substituindo o XKBOPTIONS=”grp:alt_shift_toggle,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp,grp_led:scroll” por XKBOPTIONS=”
    setxkbmap -model abnt2 -layout br -variant abnt2″, tentei incluir, XKBVARIANT=”abnt2″, mas não permanece o padrão abnt2.

Grato.
    marcelocripe

Texto original no idioma português do Brasil, traduzido para inglês pelo tradutor do Google.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by marcelocripe.
    masinickmasinick

Try running these steps:

1) sudo su
    1a) provide the root password to the prompt
    2) optionally change to the directory containing the files to make the following steps easier.
    3) ls -l [ the etc default keyboard directory or the location of interest ]
    3a) verify the presence of the file; also make sure that the prompt is either # or a prompt indicating root access
    4) use an editor (vi or whatever you have available); edit the file you want. List the name of the file.
    4a) If the file is “new”, you can SAVE it when you are done, as long as you are logged in as the effective root user

If these general instructions are unclear, please let me know which ones are confusing and I will correct or clarify the notes.
    If anyone has better suggestions, please share your recommendations.

In Portuguese:

Tente executar estas etapas:

1) sudo su
    1a) forneça a senha root ao prompt
    2) mude opcionalmente para o diretório que contém os arquivos para facilitar as etapas a seguir.
    3) ls -l [o diretório padrão do teclado etc ou o local de interesse]
    3a) verificar a presença do arquivo; também verifique se o prompt é # ou um prompt indicando acesso root
    4) use um editor (vi ou o que você tiver disponível); edite o arquivo que você deseja. Liste o nome do arquivo.
    4a) Se o arquivo for “novo”, você poderá SALVAR quando terminar, desde que esteja logado como o usuário raiz efetivo

Se estas instruções gerais não forem claras, informe-me quais são confusas e eu corrigirei ou esclareci as notas.
    Se alguém tiver sugestões melhores, compartilhe suas recomendações.

Brian Masinick

XecureXecure

I don’t know how different antiX 16 is from 17, but in 17 the way to change the keyboard layout is Control Centre > System > Set system Keyboard Layout.

When working with live USB (no persistence), I usually am too lazy and change all I want in the boot parameters.
    You could try editing the boot parameters (/etc/default/grub as you have done before for an installed system), adding kbd=br
    For your specific layout (br-abnt2) I don’t know if instead it needs to be kbd=br-abnt2 instead.

A question for the experts. If one installs antiX 16, freezes Xorg so it doesn’t update, and upgrades to antiX 17, could this work? And if it does, if one creates a snapshot of this backwards compatible antiX 17, can they install it on old computers with the same results? Could this also be done for upgrading 17 to 19?

Hello colleagues,

I managed to configure the keyboard for abnt2 in antiX 16.3 via graphics mode:

Menu, Control Center, System, Configure System, check Enable regionalization options, check Enable regionalization options: Modify language, Language selection, Keyboard map, Ok, RoxTerm will open, select pt_BR ISO-8859-1, pt_PT. UTF-8, uncheck the other languages, a list will be displayed by YAD, select pt-br, OK, Language changed to LANG = pt_BR.UTF-8, Ok, select br-abnt2 | br, Ok, Ok.
    The configuration worked in graphical mode.
    When the computer was restarted, the settings for accentuation and specific characters for the Portuguese language were maintained.

Note: When you restarted the computer, all the desktop shortcut icons are gone, by accessing the / usr / share / applications directory, you can re-enter the desired shortcut icons.

Brian, I thank you for the step-by-step in both languages, it helps me a lot, from breaking my head, I ended up managing to find a way to configure it before returning here on the forum, however, every day I am more sure, here the staff is united and is always helping each other, this I have not found in other forums of other Linux distributions. The truth is that I could not understand the step by step.

A question for the experts. If one installs antiX 16, Xorg freezes so it doesn’t update, and upgrades to antiX 17, could this work? And if it does, if one creates a snapshot of this backwards compatible antiX 17, can they install it on old computers with the same results? Could this also be done for upgrading 17 to 19?

Excellent question raised by Xecure, I hope that the developers and maintainers of antiX can make these suggestions.

Fighting the programmed or forced obsolescence of technology and the increase of waste on the planet.

Thankful.
    marcelocripe

Original text in Brazilian Portuguese, translated into English by the Google translator.

————–

Olá colegas,

Eu consegui configurar o teclado para abnt2 no antiX 16.3 via modo gráfico:

Menu, Central de controle, Sistema, Configurar Sistema, marcar Habilitar opções de regionalização, marcar Habilitar opções de regionalização: Modificar idioma, Seleção de idioma, Mapa de teclado, Ok, abrirá o RoxTerm, selecionar pt_BR ISO-8859-1, pt_PT.UTF-8, desmarcar os outros idiomas, será exibida uma lista pelo YAD, selecionar pt-br, OK, Idioma alterado para LANG=pt_BR.UTF-8, Ok, selecionar br-abnt2|br, Ok, Ok.
    Funcionou a configuração no modo gráfico.
    Quando foi reiniciado o computador as configurações para acentuação e de caracteres específicos para o idioma português foram mantidas.

Nota: Quando reiniciou o computador, todos os ícones de atalho da área de trabalho sumiram, acessando o diretório /usr/share/applications é possível inserir novamente os ícones de atalho desejados.

Brian, eu agradeço pelos passo a passo em ambos idiomas, isso me ajuda muito, de tanto quebrar a cabeça, eu acabei conseguindo encontrar uma forma de configurar antes de retornar aqui no fórum, contudo, cada dia eu tenho mais certeza, por aqui o pessoal é unido e está sempre ajudando uns aos outros, isso eu não encontrei em outros fóruns de outras distribuições Linux. A verdade é que eu não consegui entender o passo a passo.

A question for the experts. If one installs antiX 16, freezes Xorg so it doesn’t update, and upgrades to antiX 17, could this work? And if it does, if one creates a snapshot of this backwards compatible antiX 17, can they install it on old computers with the same results? Could this also be done for upgrading 17 to 19?

Excelente questão levantada pelo Xecure, espero que os desenvolvedores e mantenedores do antiX poderem estas sugestões.

Lutando contra a obsolência programada ou forçada de tecnologia e contra o aumento do lixo no planeta.

Grato.
    marcelocripe

Texto original no idioma português do Brasil, traduzido para inglês pelo tradutor do Google.

Hello dear colleagues,

A colleague from another forum helped me with information about Hardware supported by Openchrome https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Openchrome/SupportedHardware/, I don’t know if this information could be useful.

After several tests to make the video driver work, for now I come to the following conclusion, use the operating system as recent as possible, which consumes as little memory and processing as possible and that the operating system is compatible with the available hardware. I know that I will come across more hardware that unfortunately antiX 19.2 will not support.

marcelocripe

———-

Olá caros colegas,

Um colega de outro fórum me ajudou com a informação sobre Hardware suportado pelo Openchrome https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Openchrome/SupportedHardware/, eu não sei se esta informação poderá ser útil.

Após vários testes para fazer o driver de vídeo funcionar, por enquanto chego a seguinte conclusão, usar o sistema operacional o mais recente possível, que consome menos memória e processamento possível e que o sistema operacional seja compatível com o hardware disponível. Eu sei que eu vou me deparar com mais hardwares que infelizmente o antiX 19.2 não oferecerá suporte.

marcelocripe

antiX is the best out there that I know of trying to both keep current on what software is available, and at the same time support the older and newer systems.

But antiX is made mostly by assembling other programs from many places, and hooking them all together in a usable form. From that respect, each version of antiX is dependent on those other major programs, like the video software and the Linux kernel. We all should encourage and assist where possible those upstream programmers to keep support in place for older systems as much as possible.

But when the support from upstream is gone for older hardware, there just isn’t anything the developers working on antiX 19.2 and future releases can do to help you. In this case, all we could do was help you find something that would work. Look at how many people were involved and how much effort it took. I don’t think you will find many upstream developers willing to put many hours of effort into writing and testing programs for antique hardware. Just imagine how difficult it would be for them to get it tested.

I suggest you find ways to help keep older hardware supported a little longer if you can find ways to do so. Eventually they get so old that they are no longer supported, and I’m sorry, but I think that is going to be the case as fewer and fewer of the older machines still run.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by BobC.
    masinickmasinick

@BobC: I agree with you. At the same time, even though some hardware does eventually get decommissioned from active support, the number of really old systems that can, and do, work with antiX is still pretty incredible.

For instance, just using my current collection –
    the system I am using right now, a Dell Inspiron 5558 – from what I can tell, the original Dell Inspiron series was introduced in the late 1990s. The 5000 line of Inspiron came later, and from what I can deduce, the 5558 came out in 2015; if that is the case, then my system is five years old.

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad X201 – “The X-series laptops released in 2010 from Lenovo were the X100e, X201, X201s, and X201 tablet. X100e and Mini 10.” (Wikipedia)

HP desktop: (I have a model of the 5000 series, not looking at it now, but these came out more than ten years ago, closer to ~15 years old+.

Advanced/Pro Series
    Model Chipset CPU RAM Chassis Released
    Type Max
    HP Compaq dc5000 Intel 865GV Intel Pentium 4 DDR, 4 4GB MT, SFF Q3 2004
    HP Compaq dc5100 Intel 915GV Intel Pentium D (with BIOS upgrade), Pentium 4 DDR2, 4 4GB MT, SFF Q1 2005
    HP Compaq dx5150 ATI SB400 AMD Athlon 64 DDR, 4 4GB MT, SSF Q3 2005

All of these systems still appear to work with antiX.

Brian Masinick

BobC,

You are absolutely right, we have to support antiX developers and maintainers with whatever is possible.

All the development that took place on this topic shows how powerful this community is and how many people we can count, we new to antiX, this support that counts a lot.

I was very happy to make antiX 16.3 work, it has the base of Debian 9, it is not that old, making it work on the motherboard with video driver Via VT8237R Plus the same operating system will confuse my head less in an eventual maintenance, it is better to have the network with several different versions of antiX Linux than to have the computer network with different Linux distributions due to the variety of hardware.

I already know that if it doesn’t work with the latest version, I test the previous one, if it doesn’t work, the other one will certainly work and that makes me feel more relaxed.

I’m on the right track with antiX Linux.

I hope that developers and maintainers will never abandon antiX, if one day they don’t have time for antiX, that they will at least leave it with the community, before reaching antiX, I heard that it happened with other Linux distributions, some were abandoned by servants and completely discontinued, others were left to the community.

Long live antiX!

marcelocripe

———–

BobC,

Você tem toda a razão, temos que apoiar os desenvolvedores e mantenedores do antiX com o que for possível.

Todo o desenvolvimento que aconteceu neste tópico mostra o quão poderosa é esta comunidade e quantas pessoas que podemos contar, nós novatos em antiX, esse apoio que conta muito.

Eu fiquei muito contente em fazer funcionar o antiX 16.3, este possui a base do Debian 9, não é tão antigo assim, fazer funcionar na placa mãe com driver de vídeo Via VT8237R Plus o mesmo sistema operacional vai confundir menos a minha cabeça em uma eventual manutenção, é melhor ter a rede com várias versões diferentes de antiX Linux do que ter a rede de computador com distribuições Linux diferentes devido as variedades de hardware.

Eu já sei que se não funcionar com a versão mais recente, testo a anterior, se esta não funcionar certamente a outra funcionará e isso me deixa mais tranquilo.

Estou no caminho certo com o antiX Linux.

Eu espero que os desenvolvedores e mantenedores nunca abandonem o antiX, se um dia não tiverem mais tempo para o antiX, que ao menos o deixem com a comunidade, antes de chegar até o antiX, eu fiquei sabendo que aconteceu com outras distribuições Linux, algumas foram abandonadas pelos criados e totalmente descontinuada, outras foram deixadas para a comunidade.

Vida longa ao antiX!

marcelocripe

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by marcelocripe.
    masinickmasinick

@marcelocripe:

Thank you for your kind words and your hard work and helpful attitude.

We have even learned a few words in Portuguese!

.@marcelocripe:

Obrigado por suas amáveis palavras e seu trabalho duro e atitude útil.

Até aprendemos algumas palavras em português!

Brian Masinick

Brian,

I had forgotten, before testing other versions of antiX Linux, I will try to apply the various commands taught here, after I eventually exhaust all tests, then I will test the previous version until one works.

From copying so much text in Portuguese and pasting it into the translator and pasting it back here in the forum, even I’m already learning some words or phrases in English …

Thank you for your words …

marcelocripe

———

Brian,

Eu havia me esquecido, antes de testar outras versão do antiX Linux, eu vou tentar aplicar os vários comandos ensinados aqui, depois que eu eventualmente esgotar todos os testes, aí sim irei testar a versão anterior até que uma funcione.

De tanto copiar texto em português e colar no tradutor e volta a colar aqui no fórum, até eu já estou aprendendo algumas palavras ou frases em inglês …

Agradeço por suas palavras …

marcelocripe

Viewing 12 posts - 76 through 87 (of 87 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.