How to use antiX on computers with a motherboard with SIS or VIA chipset

Forum Forums antiX-development Development How to use antiX on computers with a motherboard with SIS or VIA chipset

• This topic has 122 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated Jul 5-4:54 pm by seaken64.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 122 total)
  • Author
    Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Graphics:
    Device-1: VIA CN700/P4M800 Pro/P4M800 CE/VN800 Graphics [S3 UniChrome Pro]
    vendor: ASUSTeK driver: N/A bus ID: 01:00.0
    Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.16.4 driver: openchrome
    unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 800×600~85Hz
    OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 7.0 128 bits) v: 3.1 Mesa 18.3.6
    direct render: Yes

This is what we were aiming for. There is good news here.

If possible, I would like you to write how good or bad the experience of using this test iso is compared to using antiX 16. Is video, display and transitions as fluid as in antiX 16? Does things load or move as slow as when you were using antiX 19? Any Graphical glitches? Any screen blinking? Does resizing the screen resolution in arandr break the display?

flaws in the menus

If possible, when you have time, could you share a screenshot so we can better understand what this is? If this is related to item duplication, text using strange symbols or missing items, etc. It would be good to know if this can be solved easily of if something I did broke some of the scripts the antiX system uses.

Overall, it seems to be a positive experience. Hopefully we can find out the errors and I can continue learning how the build-iso and the antiX system works so we can improve on a next iteration.

@Xecure, não é ganancia. É felicidade, euforia, ansiedade e esperança.

I understand the excitement, but you need to relax a bit. This is a test and can lead nowhere, so we need to take this with a cool head.

I was meaning the “greedy” part as wanting as many people to get involved as possible, but everyone, as you, have their life and possibly a project like this consumes a lot of time. If the few of us can spearhead this project, we can do as some other linux communities and have a “Community Release”.
    See this topic to understand between Official release and Community release in the Manjaro project:
    https://classicforum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=17398.0

Community Editions have the consent of the Official team, but are in the hands of the community (and we take responsibility, not the official team). We shouldn’t ask too much and try to figure out as much as possible ourselves. We can also customize it as much as we want, so some things may look different or other programs may be the default (we could probably replace firefox-esr with non-pae palemoon, as the aim is for legacy and abandoned hardware).

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

PPC
    Helpful
    Up

@Xecure – thinking about trying your antiX version on my parents old 32 bits laptop, I downloaded the iso and tried it as a live cd, on virtual box:
    – Conky says it uses 70.4Mb out of the box
    – Menus look fine, even the desktop entries
    – I missed the Old log in screen picture!- it comes out every time, that’s not bad- it’s a nice security feature (that I myself don’t normally use) not using auto-log-on – it’s a tiny detail, I can change the log-on wallpaper to the blured lines one, to better match the default wallpaper (or change the default wallpaper to match the very nice log-on)
    – Virtualbox video from the grub screen does not seem to work- safe video mode works fine- it even allows viewing youtube videos comfortably on smtube
    – extremely fast and light on RAM!
    – My virtual system has only half Gig of RAM- I did that on purpose, to test how antiX would behave that way- Firefox slows to a crawl in no time, because of heavy swap use- as is to be expected!
    – I tried twice installing Palemoon- it freezes the system, after installing from package manager…
    – It would be nice if we had some kind of portable office we could test in 32bits (LibreOffice appimages are 64 bits only)- since Palemoon gave me trouble on a VM, I won’t even try LO)
    – As it is, except for the palemoon trouble (it could be VM related), it’s a nice, fast, light, and very legacy compatible system…

EDIT: just to see how low this could go: I booted the live VM in min-fluxbox: “free -h” on rox-term reports “47Mb” being used 😮 !!! If this system doesn’t run on a computer it’s because it’s on the bottom of a trash compactor 🙂

P.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by PPC.
    Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Those RAM results are too strange. I think something must be broken on the iso because of some misconfiguration while building it.
    Autologing can be set from the Control Centre, so it is only a loss on live boot.
    I should have reinstalled Virtualbox-guest packages to recompile the driver for the old xorg version and the 4.4 kernel. I was just glad this iteration worked after too many fails, and decided to publish it after some light tests on the VM so marcelo could test if the openchrome driver worked out of the box. There is still a lot to fine tune, and now I need to figure out what things I broke before next version.

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

Hello, @Xecure and @PPC

I think it is still valid for me to explain that I was so anxious to post the tests that I was unable to take the reverse translation test.

Usually, I copy the translation result from the Portuguese language to the English language of the online translator. In the same online translator, I translate again from English to Portuguese and check to see if the text is consistent. That time I didn’t have time to do this long process. And the text in English was very different from what I actually wrote in Portuguese.

I would like all of us to speak the same language. For this type of inconvenient situation could be avoided and would not have happened.

Xecure wrote:
    If possible, I would like you to write how good or bad the experience of using this test iso is compared to using antiX 16. Is video, display and transitions as fluid as in antiX 16? Does things load or move as slow as when you were using antiX 19? Any Graphical glitches? Any screen blinking? Does resizing the screen resolution in arandr break the display?

Tests performed on the computer with a Gigabyte GA-8S661FXM-775 motherboard with ISO “antiX-19-legacy-bet1_386-base.iso”, the images are from the test:

https://ibb.co/1L7T5qv
    https://ibb.co/pPgx52b
    https://ibb.co/VLvxYBz
    https://ibb.co/k2QpP4p

When the mouse arrow passes over the menu, the images disappear. The menus are disorganized in relation to the correct pattern.

On each of the three computers that I sent the description through the commands, the video response was different, this one of the images was the one that was the best response and the other two were very similar to the behavior of the menus and the flaws.

The computer with the STI 910090 motherboard and Onboard Via VT8237R Plus video card that received antiX 16.3, is many kilometers away from where I live, I think I will only contact him again the day he or any of the other computers with antiX have some kind of problem.

What I remember (https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/how-to-set-the-set-gfxmode-1024x768x16-1024×768/page/6/) is that antiX 16.3 was a little better than the ISO video response “antiX-19-legacy-bet1_386-base.iso”. However, if I buy the tests on the three computers previously described with antiX 19.3 full 32 bits, the result is that it cannot be used due to the slow response of the video, freezes, several ghosts on the screen and some flashing dots on the screen. screen. The flaws in relation to the ISO video “antiX-19-legacy-bet1_386-base.iso” are acceptable as the computer responds well. The flaws are in the menus, it seems, are related to the desktop:

Rox-IceWM: menus equal to the 4 screenshots.
    JWM: the applications menu does not display the sub menus, other menus are being displayed normally.
    Fluxbox: only two icons that are not displayed in the menu (Cliplt and Searchmonkey), there is no other type of failure. It would be possible to use normally with this workspace.

Resizing the screen resolution with the arandr is not possible with the Gigabyte motherboard, it only allows 1024×768 resolution.

There is no flashing screen with the Gigabyte motherboard.

Xecure wrote:
    If possible, when you have time, could you share a screenshot so we can better understand what this is? If this is related to item duplication, text using strange symbols or missing items, etc. It would be good to know if this can be solved easily of if something I did broke some of the scripts the antiX system uses.

You described everything that happens, fewer failures with the Gigabyte card and many more failures with the ASUS cards.

If the release of a version of the community is possible and still occurs with the consent of the official team, I think this initiative is valid. I regret that I do not have the necessary knowledge to help you in this process of creating the ISO. My time for testing is after work hours and at home. On weekends I can collaborate much more with the tests.

Xecure wrote:
    “We shouldn’t ask too much and try to figure out as much as possible ourselves.”

This will be quite a challenge.

My experience with the Palemoon web browser was on Puppy Linux and it was frustrating. I couldn’t see the RAM consumption of the systems with Palemoon running a Youtube video.

In the tests I did with antiX 16.3 on the computer with the STI 91009 motherboard, playing a YouTube video, with Firefox, Opera, Google Chrome and Chromium. Chromium was the one that played the YouTube video with better image quality and didn’t crash during execution. Before this test I had a bad judgment on this internet browser.

These computers may even be old, but they will not be abandoned by me while they are working. I know that they can be reused by other people. It is better to reuse them than to be thrown in the trash. If they had Intel or NVidia video, they would already have antiX 19.3 full.

I hope the English language text arrives correctly.

Thanks

marcelocripe
    (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese)

———-

Olá, @Xecure e @PPC

Eu acho que ainda é válido eu explicar que eu estava tão ansioso para postar os testes que eu não consegui fazer o teste da tradução inversa.

Normalmente, eu copio o resultado da tradução do idioma Português para o idioma Inglês do tradutor online. No mesmo tradutor online, traduzo novamente do Inglês para Português e confiro para ver se o texto está coerente. Naquela vez eu não tive tempo de fazer este longo processo. E o texto em Inglês ficou muito diferente do que eu realmente escrevi em Português.

Eu gostaria que todos nós falássemos o mesmo idioma. Pois este tipo de situação inconveniente poderia ser evitada e não teria acontecido.

Xecure wrote:

Testes realizados no computador com placa mãe Gigabyte GA-8S661FXM-775 com a ISO “antiX-19-legacy-bet1_386-base.iso”, as imagens são do teste:

(URL da imagens estão no texto em idioma Inglês)

Quando a seta do mouse passa sobre o menu as imagens desaparecem. Os menus estão desorganizados em relação ao padrão correto.

Em cada um dos três computadores que eu enviei a descrição por meio dos comandos, a resposta do vídeo foi diferente, este das imagens foi o que a resposta foi melhor e os outros dois ficaram muito semelhantes o comportamento do menus e as falhas.

O computador com a placa-mãe STI 910090 e placa de vídeo Onboard Via VT8237R Plus que recebeu o antiX 16.3, está há muitos quilômetros de distância da onde eu moro, eu acho que só volto a ter contato com ele novamente no dia que ele ou algum dos outros computadores com antiX apresentarem algum tipo de problema.

O que eu me lembro (https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/how-to-set-the-set-gfxmode-1024x768x16-1024×768/page/6/) é que o antiX 16.3 estava um pouco melhor do que a reposta do vídeo da ISO “antiX-19-legacy-bet1_386-base.iso”. Contudo, se eu comprar os testes nos três computadores descritos anteriormente com o antiX 19.3 full 32 bits, o resultado é que não tem condições alguma de ser utilizado devido a lentidão da resposta do vídeo, congelamentos, vários fantasmas na tela e alguns pontos piscando na tela. As falhas em relação ao vídeo da ISO a “antiX-19-legacy-bet1_386-base.iso” são aceitáveis já que o computador responde bem. As falhas são nos menus, ao que parece, estão relacionadas à área de trabalho:

Rox-IceWM: menus iguais das 4 capturas de tela.
    JWM: o menu aplicações não exibe os sub menus, demais menus estão sendo exibidos normalmente.
    Fluxbox: apenas dois ícones que não são exibidos no menu (Cliplt e Searchmonkey), não tem outro tipo de falha. Seria possível utilizar normalmente com esta área de trabalho.

O redimensionamento da resolução da tela com o arandr não é possível com a placa mãe Gigabyte, só permite a resolução 1024×768.

Não tem tela piscando com a placa mãe Gigabyte.

Xecure wrote:

Você descreveu tudo o que acontece, menos falhas com a placa Gigabyte e muito mais falhas com as placas ASUS.

Se o lançamento de uma versão da comunidade for possível e ainda ocorra com o consentimento da equipe oficial, eu acho essa iniciativa válida. Eu lamento que não possuo o conhecimento necessário para te ajudar neste processo de criação da ISO. O meu tempo para testar é após o horário de trabalho e em casa. Nos finais de semana eu consigo colaborar muito mais com os testes.

Xecure wrote:
    “We shouldn’t ask too much and try to figure out as much as possible ourselves.”

Isso será um desafio e tanto.

A minha experiência com o navegador de internet Palemoon foi no Puppy Linux e foi frustante. Eu não consegui ver o consumo de memória RAM dos sistema com o Palemoon executando um vídeo do Youtube.

Nos teste que eu fiz com o antiX 16.3 no computador com a placa-mãe STI 91009, tocando um vídeo do Youtube, com Firefox, Opera, Google Chrome e o Chromium. O Chromium foi o que executou o vídeo do Youtube com qualidade da imagem melhor e não travava durante a execução. Antes deste teste eu tinha um mal julgamento deste navegador de internet.

Estes o computadores podem até ser antigos, mas não serão abandonados por mim enquanto estiverem funcionando. Eu sei que podem ser reutilizados por outras pessoas. É melhor reutilizá-los do que serem jogados no lixo. Se eles possuíssem vídeo Intel ou Nvídia já estariam com o antiX 19.3 full.

Eu espero que o texto em idioma Inglês chegue corretamente.

Obrigado

marcelocripe
    (Texto original em Português do Brasil)

linuxdaddy
    Helpful
    Up

hi eveyone,

I haven’t been on much and will have to read this whole thread over the weekend.
    have one tower with the sis 760lv chip on a via board with an amd sempron. It has never
    worked right on linux except on vesa drivers.
    I can set it up as a test box for the iso on bare-metal live/install.
    As far as the menus repeating hit refresh menu upon first boot and that straightens them up.

Normal == 🙂
    depends on the surrounding crowd ?!

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks for the tests, marcelo. If it is similar experience to antiX 16 but better than the default 19 for those old sis and via chips, then we are improving. If the experience is worse than original antiX 19, then this project is going nowhere.
    I will try to figure out what is going on with the menu script, but probably it would be fixed as linuxdaddy suggests.

As far as the menus repeating hit refresh menu upon first boot and that straightens them up.

Thanks for helping, linuxdaddy. If you can test it on your sis machine and it boots to a graphical interface using openchrome xorg driver, then we can confirm that this project has a future. It isn’t the safest antiX version, but it can complement it for machines that have problems booting with the original.

I will try building a new iso on the weekend and see if some improvements can be made (including autolog-in and figuring out the icon and menu problems).
    About the firmware package firmware-netronome, as it doesn’t seem to be common, I will remove it from the lists.

Thanks everyone for your input.

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

@Linuxdaddy,

I thank you for your collaboration.

@Xecure the experience is similar to antiX 16.3, much better than the standard 19.2 or 19.3 for the SIS and Via chipset that I was able to test. I didn’t try to install it in the tests, I just ran the ISO “antiX-19-legacy-bet1_386-base.iso” via USB.

Thanks

marcelocripe

———-

@Linuxdaddy,

Eu agradeço por sua colaboração.

@Xecure a experiência é sim semelhante ao antiX 16.3, muito melhor do que o 19.2 ou 19.3 padrão para os chipset SIS e Via que eu consegui testar. Eu não tentei fazer a instalação nos testes, eu apenas executei o a ISO “antiX-19-legacy-bet1_386-base.iso” via USB.

Obrigado

marcelocripe

linuxdaddy
    Helpful
    Up

ok I have 2 tower machines for this.

1. K8S-LA motherboard with sis 760lv and sis 964 chips and 512mb ddr-400 ram.
    memtest 5.01 ran 2 passes with no errors.

2. AM37 motherboard with KM-266 chipset and via vt8235 chip. haven’t set it up yet
    it uses S3 graphics.

both are hp/compaq boards

just burned the iso from this thread and giving it a whirl.

Normal == 🙂

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

linuxdaddy wrote:

Tests with the Gigabyte GA-8S661FXM-775 motherboard and ISO “antiX-19-legacy-bet1_386-base.iso”,

I tried to update the menu, all images appear again in the menu. If you slide the mouse cursor over the menus, all of them disappear, except the first of each menu or submenu.

In the terminal I tried:

$ sudo free {Enter}

$ sudo desktop-menu –write-out-global {Enter}

But the same effect happens.

Linuxdaddy, did I do the tests right?

Thankful.
    marcelocripe

———-

linuxdaddy wrote:

Testes com a placa-mãe Gigabyte GA-8S661FXM-775 e a ISO “antiX-19-legacy-bet1_386-base.iso”,

Eu tentei fazer a atualização do menu, todas as imagens aparecem novamente no menu. Se deslizar o cursor do mouse sobre os menus, todos desaparecem, exceto o primeiro de cada menu ou submenu.

No terminal eu tentei:

$ sudo free {Enter}

$ sudo desktop-menu –write-out-global {Enter}

Mas o mesmo efeito acontece.

Linuxdaddy, eu fiz certo os testes?

Grato.
    marcelocripe

linuxdaddy
    Helpful
    Up

hi marcelocripe,

yes you did, I thought you meant entries appearing more than once.
    the mouse cursor making the icons disappear is Xorg and openchrome
    driver related. I’m stuck at the moment on further testing as
    neither of my chipsets are supported on the driver.

Though using the vesa driver works good and shows no visual problems
    on the sis760 where the antiX 19.3 iso showed a lot of screen
    corruption. So holding the xserver is a step forward.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by linuxdaddy. Reason: added to it

Normal == 🙂

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

linuxdaddy,

The menu entries appearing more than once happen on the motherboard: Asus P5S800-VM (SIS video card) and Asus P5V800-MX (VIA video card). On the Gigabyte GA-8S661FXM-775 motherboard, the image of each menu item disappears by sliding the mouse cursor over the menus.

Anyway, I am optimistic about the results of the first tests.

I never had these cards that I mentioned, they were always a consumer dream for many Windows XP users at the time of their respective releases. The only weak point of these cards is the compatibility of the RAM being DDR, if they were DDR2 it would be easier to expand.

I thank you for collaborating.

marcelocripe

———-

linuxdaddy,

As entradas dos menus aparecendo mais de uma vez acontecem nas placa-mãe: Asus P5S800-VM (placa de vídeo SIS) e Asus P5V800-MX (placa de vídeo VIA). Na placa-mãe Gigabyte GA-8S661FXM-775 a imagem de cada item do menu some ao deslizar o cursor do mouse sobre os menus.

De qualquer forma, eu estou otimista com o resultado dos primeiros testes.

Eu nunca tive estas placas que citei, sempre foram sonho de consumo de muitos usuários do Windows XP na época do seus respectivos lançamentos. O único ponto fraco dessas placas é a compatibilidade da memória RAM ser DDR, se fossem DDR2 seria mais fácil a expansão.

Eu agradeço por você colaborar.

Grato.
    marcelocripe

linuxdaddy
    Helpful
    Up

@xecure
    It worked on the 4.4 kernel and the 5.8.16 686 kernels, so just holding
    the xserver and xorg packages fixed this machine for the vesa driver and
    getting responsive desktop. I will see later this week on the S3 if it can
    run openchrome. thank you and great work on the iso.

Normal == 🙂

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

tests with the Gigabyte GA-8S661FXM-775 motherboard and ISO “antiX-19-legacy-bet1_386-base.iso”,

I tried to update the menu, all images appear again in the menu. If you slide the mouse cursor over the menus, all of them disappear, except the first of each menu or submenu.

the mouse cursor making the icons disappear is Xorg and openchrome
    driver related

Though using the vesa driver works good and shows no visual problems
    on the sis760 where the antiX 19.3 iso showed a lot of screen
    corruption. So holding the xserver is a step forward.

It worked on the 4.4 kernel and the 5.8.16 686 kernels, so just holding
    the xserver and xorg packages fixed this machine for the vesa driver and
    getting responsive desktop.

So, it seems that the openchrome driver on some machines has a graphical glitch effect. For those, marcelocripe, follow linuxdaddy’s advice and load them on safe video mode (to use the vesa driver) and see if they perform better than with the vesa driver on antiX 19.3. Even if you cannot use the dedicated openchrome driver, maybe the experience is good enough with the vesa xorg driver.

Thanks both for testing the iso. It gives hope for some old computers to be able to work, even if it is on an old xorg version. Also, having the latest software available is better than having to search for 32 bits appimages around the net.

Thank you very much, anticapitalista, for keeping the dream of maintaining old computers alive today.

I will build an iso on the next few days with the autologin fix, recompiled virtualbox-guest driver (if possible) and reduce some of the packages included to see if we can get it to CD size.

linuxdaddy
    Helpful
    Up

A small update xecure,

When I run xorg in 16 bit depth from the xorg.conf file it has the
    menu icons disappearing problem, but when I run in 24 bit depth the
    menu works fine on the vesa driver. some of the opengl screensavers
    can even run along with youtube on 244p setting with palemoon.
    I can only do youtube with 144p on firefox.
    I was able to increase my ram all the way to 2gb.
    so maybe the openchrome driver has to be in 24 bit depth as well.

Normal == 🙂

linuxdaddy
    Helpful
    Up

just confirmed that the menu icons disappear on 16-bit depth on
    4.4 and 5.8.16 kernels and don’t on 24-bit depth so it is a
    xorg.conf setting to fix it for vesa. this is a hard drive install
    and created the xorg file.
    I’m going to check it on antiX-19.3 full to see if it works on the
    newer xorg by just setting the depth without holding any packages.

Normal == 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 122 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.