Howdy from Hoosierland

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX Howdy from Hoosierland

• This topic has 31 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Sep 11-5:38 pm by NewfieDawg53.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    NewfieDawg53NewfieDawg53

Well, hello there ya’ll. I’m new to using or trying to use AntiX, but have been using Linux since early 90’s.
    Currently I’m attempting to install AntiX 17.4.1 on a salvaged Compaq ENS Deskpro 866Mhz CPU wiht 133Mhz frontside bus box with the RAM maxed out at 512MB. The old Compaq uses the Intel onboard graphics chip thus far refuses to boot into anything other than a black screen with AntiX. The checksums for the ISO image were verified. ISO was burned at relatively low speed. The Compaq is running Lubuntu 11.10 on a Seagate 20GB PATA 7200rpm that passed as many surface tests as I threw at it. which I am not all that fond of due to its’ pretty limited selection of components. I have booted and run Puppy Linux in RAM (Slacko 5.7.2) without problems. I have another ENS 812e Deskpro that I setup years ago that runs Unbuntu 10.04 without problems other than the age of the system.
    Tried booting with nomodeset selected, acpi-off with the result of black screen. Tried fail safe and safe video also with black screen result. The fact that the hardware is circa 2001 and does not support PAE suggests that the most modern versions of most distros are unlikely to work. Any suggestions as to where to get a i386 Non-PAE version of AntiX? Or should I just go ahead and tote this old beast to the recycling center?

Regards and Thankye Kindly,
    Newfie

Got any spare video cards? It looks like it came with different ones, but not sure if separate or onboard. On my Pentium III I took the AGP nVidia card out and switched to an AGP ATI Radeon, and that fixed the graphics problems for Debian 10 and antiX 19.

See if you can run inxi -Fxz in a terminal on slacko and post it here. Maybe someone will know how to configure it.

NewfieDawg53NewfieDawg53

Thanks for the suggestions. Sadly, the Compaq box is a small form factor which severely limits options to add a video card. The cards that I have on hand aren’t suitable for the machine. I did boot the box to Slacko and found that the inxi command reported as “not found”. Grrrr. (Sorry, could not resist Puppy being channeled). As much as I’d like to run AntiX, methinks that I may just stick with Puppy on this box. This is not a critical machine, just an exercise in keeping a retiree occupied for a bit.

Newfie

Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

Lubuntu 11.10 was released in 2011.
    Slacko 5.7.2 was released in 2014

Have you tried an antiX version from the same era? (if you can find one)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AntiX

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

NewfieDawg53NewfieDawg53

Lubuntu 11.10 was released in 2011.
    Slacko 5.7.2 was released in 2014

Have you tried an antiX version from the same era? (if you can find one)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AntiX

Thanks for the suggestion. I had done some searching over the past couple of days for older versions without any success. I will give it another try later today. Most of the sources 404 with amazing frequency (and aggravation). I’ll also hit a couple of the brick and mortar used shops to see if I can find a suitable AGP card that might fit.

Newfie

Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

https://sourceforge.net/projects/antix-linux/files/Final/

for antiX-12 (20120 and antiX-13.2 (2013)

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by anticapitalista.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

capreacaprea

Even older http://ftp.riken.jp/Linux/mepis/released/antix/

Howdy and welcome !

AK-47AK-47

If none of those options work, see if something like MINIX 3 or OpenBSD float your boat. With 512MB of RAM you actually have a fair bit of head room, unless of course you want to run modern-day Firefox.

NewfieDawg53NewfieDawg53

Thank you!!! Grabbing ISOs and will do some exploring later.

Newfie

NewfieDawg53NewfieDawg53

Thank you! Perhaps one of them will work “out of the box” on the Compaq.

Newfie

NewfieDawg53NewfieDawg53

If none of those options work, see if something like MINIX 3 or OpenBSD float your boat. With 512MB of RAM you actually have a fair bit of head room, unless of course you want to run modern-day Firefox.

It has been years since I did anything with either OpenBSD or FreeBSD. Kinda partial to smacking li’l Red Debbils across the phosphor screen. And I have wean myself off of Firefox over the past 2-3 years…just too much to keep up with their 6 week release cycle.

Newfie

NewfieDawg53NewfieDawg53

Many, many thanks to one and all for the ideas and suggestions. I went a downloadin’ and picked up several of the older versions of AntiX. I verified the checksums and burned one (AntiX 13.2) to a CD and gave it a trial boot. Success followed. The older version booted to the splash screen and then into a live desktop.

On reflection, I think that the ancient Compaq being a Non-PAE machine simply wasn’t able to handle the newest version. So, now I have some tweaking to do and explore. Again thank ya’ll for the suggestions and the links to the older versions.

Newfie

ancient Compaq being a Non-PAE machine simply wasn’t able to handle the newest version.

I am not sure of such attributing to antiX older version as non-PAE that made it work. I had no problem and running non-stop antiX 17.2 on Thinkpad T23 (Pentium 3), which is non-PAE… Ran just fine. The only issue was that I had to use non-PAE version of PaleMoon instead of any modern browser.

capreacaprea

Hey, now you could post the output of inxi -Fxz , if you like.

I had problems with my Pentium 3 machines with the old nVidia graphics cards, and resolved it by getting an ATI Radeon off Ebay for $5.00 + shipping. I don’t have any Compaq’s to test on here.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.