Howdy from Hoosierland

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX Howdy from Hoosierland

This topic contains 31 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by NewfieDawg53 Sep 11-5:38 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    NewfieDawg53
    NewfieDawg53

Hey, now you could post the output of inxi -Fxz , if you like.

Here you go:
    System: Host: antiX1 Kernel: 3.7.10-antix.5-486-smp i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.8.1)
    Desktop: IceWM 1.3.7 Distro: antiX-13.2_386-full Luddite 4 November 2013
    Machine: System: Compaq product: Deskpro
    Mobo: Compaq model: 0688h Bios: Compaq version: 686P2 v2.11 date: 04/05/2001
    CPU: Single core Pentium III (Coppermine) (-UP-) cache: 256 KB flags: (pae sse) bmips: 1727.63 clocked at 863.819 MHz
    Graphics: Card: Intel 82815 Graphics Controller (CGC) bus-ID: 00:02.0
    X.Org: 1.12.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1280×1024@60.0hz
    GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on softpipe GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.5 Direct Rendering: Yes
    Audio: Card: Intel 82801BA/BAM AC’97 Audio Controller driver: snd_intel8x0 ports: 2000 2400 bus-ID: 00:1f.5
    Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.7.10-antix.5-486-smp
    Network: Card: Intel 82801BA/BAM/CA/CAM Ethernet Controller driver: e100 ver: 3.5.24-k2-NAPI port: 1000 bus-ID: 02:08.0
    IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
    Drives: HDD Total Size: 20.5GB (-) 1: id: /dev/sda model: Maxtor_2B020H1 size: 20.5GB
    Partition: ID: / size: 388M used: 22M (6%) fs: rootfs ID: swap-1 size: 0.53GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
    Sensors: None detected – is lm-sensors installed and configured?
    Info: Processes: 65 Uptime: 6:13 Memory: 94.8/499.7MB Runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 4.7.2
    Client: Shell (bash 4.2.37) inxi: 1.9.16

In looking thru this is appears that the box was a PAE machine after all. Anyhow it runs 13.2 without problems other than the usual PIBKAC type.

Regards and Thankye Kindly,
    Newfie

NewfieDawg53
    NewfieDawg53

Hey, now you could post the output of inxi -Fxz , if you like.

Here you go:
    System: Host: antiX1 Kernel: 3.7.10-antix.5-486-smp i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.8.1)
    Desktop: IceWM 1.3.7 Distro: antiX-13.2_386-full Luddite 4 November 2013
    Machine: System: Compaq product: Deskpro
    Mobo: Compaq model: 0688h Bios: Compaq version: 686P2 v2.11 date: 04/05/2001
    CPU: Single core Pentium III (Coppermine) (-UP-) cache: 256 KB flags: (pae sse) bmips: 1727.63 clocked at 863.819 MHz
    Graphics: Card: Intel 82815 Graphics Controller (CGC) bus-ID: 00:02.0
    X.Org: 1.12.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1280×1024@60.0hz
    GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on softpipe GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.5 Direct Rendering: Yes
    Audio: Card: Intel 82801BA/BAM AC’97 Audio Controller driver: snd_intel8x0 ports: 2000 2400 bus-ID: 00:1f.5
    Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.7.10-antix.5-486-smp
    Network: Card: Intel 82801BA/BAM/CA/CAM Ethernet Controller driver: e100 ver: 3.5.24-k2-NAPI port: 1000 bus-ID: 02:08.0
    IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
    Drives: HDD Total Size: 20.5GB (-) 1: id: /dev/sda model: Maxtor_2B020H1 size: 20.5GB
    Partition: ID: / size: 388M used: 22M (6%) fs: rootfs ID: swap-1 size: 0.53GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
    Sensors: None detected – is lm-sensors installed and configured?
    Info: Processes: 65 Uptime: 6:13 Memory: 94.8/499.7MB Runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 4.7.2
    Client: Shell (bash 4.2.37) inxi: 1.9.16

In looking thru this is appears that the box was a PAE machine after all. Anyhow it runs 13.2 without problems other than the usual PIBKAC type.

I am not sure of such attributing to antiX older version as non-PAE that made it work. I had no problem and running non-stop antiX 17.2 on Thinkpad T23 (Pentium 3), which is non-PAE… Ran just fine. The only issue was that I had to use non-PAE version of PaleMoon instead of any modern browser.

Newfie

NewfieDawg53
    NewfieDawg53

ancient Compaq being a Non-PAE machine simply wasn’t able to handle the newest version.

I am not sure of such attributing to antiX older version as non-PAE that made it work. I had no problem and running non-stop antiX 17.2 on Thinkpad T23 (Pentium 3), which is non-PAE… Ran just fine. The only issue was that I had to use non-PAE version of PaleMoon instead of any modern browser.

After running inxi -Fzx and reading the output, the Compaq may not be a Non-PAE machine. In any event, it did not boot the 17.4.1 base i386 image to anything other than a black screen. With the success of the 13.2 i386 full image booting, I now have a working installation. And some learning to do as well. (And that includes figuring out how to post here with out duplication).

Newfie

NewfieDawg53
    NewfieDawg53

I had problems with my Pentium 3 machines with the old nVidia graphics cards, and resolved it by getting an ATI Radeon off Ebay for $5.00 + shipping. I don’t have any Compaq’s to test on here.

I did not take the time today to look for another PCI graphics card locally. The machine uses the onboard Intel 82815 Graphics Controller (CGC) bus-ID, that did not seem to work with the 17.4.1 image that I was trying to boot. ATM I have the 13.2 version running Live and it appears to be a usable system. I may test AntiX 16 later. Progress has been made, but it is a work in progress when using a mid-20th Century mind in this part of the 21st Century.

Newfie

seaken64

Hi Newfie,

Welcome. I have some experience with keeping a few old Pentium-III systems running in the modern world of 2018-2019. I have one particular Compaq Deskpro EN that I use as a test machine. Maybe some of my trial and error can be helpful for your project. My Deskpro is using the Nvidia Geforce video card so it’s different than your video. But maybe you can use the same techniques to get antiX 17 working. FWIW, antiX 19b2 worked OOTB on that machine. Maybe you should try that version also. Here’s the links to the threads here and on MX Forum:

video better in v16 than in v17?

https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=48054

Seaken64

NewfieDawg53
    NewfieDawg53

Hi Seaken64. Thanks for the links. I had pretty much decided that the root of the graphics problems that I’ve been having with the old Compaq has been the video chip has been the chip versus the machine being non-PAE. Turns out the the machine is a PAE device. I have been looking around for either an ATI graphics card or a Nvida card. I have a Matrox G200 PCI card. It is supported under MX Linux, but not sure if Antix will recognize it or not. I have the driver dowmloaded from Matrox, but am unsure as to how to deal with the tar/gz file.

I did boot the Compaq with MX 14.2 yesterday successfully. It took a while but it did boot to live desktop. Haven’t found a copy of AntiX 15 as yet. Tried Antix 16.3 but did not give it a long time to see if the graphics would come up. Had to cut that test short to go to a MD appointment. Finding PCI cards (locally) is challenging to say the least. MX 14.2 ran about like Ubuntu 10.04 did on the Compaq, that being about 40% greater resource usage than AntiX.

Newfie

seaken64

I haven’t failed to get antiX to work in at least some form. Sometimes I only get the text/console and have to troubleshoot from there. The developers here have been very helpful and encouraging. I’m sure that if you stay with it you will get the latest antiX to work on that machine. I suggest you try the latest 19b2 32-bit. I was surprised to find that it loaded without issues on my Deskpro EN from the thread I linked to. I now have antiX-15, antiX-16, antiX-17 and antix-19b2 all running on that machine.

I also have antiX running on two other P-III’s. They are both Dells, one is a 600Mhz desktop with 384 RAM, the other is a 450Mhz laptop with 256 RAM.

Good luck,
    Seaken64

NewfieDawg53
    NewfieDawg53

I haven’t failed to get antiX to work in at least some form. Sometimes I only get the text/console and have to troubleshoot from there. The developers here have been very helpful and encouraging. I’m sure that if you stay with it you will get the latest antiX to work on that machine. I suggest you try the latest 19b2 32-bit. I was surprised to find that it loaded without issues on my Deskpro EN from the thread I linked to. I now have antiX-15, antiX-16, antiX-17 and antix-19b2 all running on that machine.

I also have antiX running on two other P-III’s. They are both Dells, one is a 600Mhz desktop with 384 RAM, the other is a 450Mhz laptop with 256 RAM.

Good luck,
    Seaken64

Thank ye kindly. The other day a popped a CD containing MX Linux 14.2 in the Compaq and let it boot up. It took seemingly forever to get the Live Desktop up and running. There was a considerable delay for the graphics chip to display the desktop after the black screen started flickering a bit. Then just before heading out for a medical appointment I popped in an AntiX 16 disk and tried it. The time that I had to let the machine work on getting the desktop up was not enough to accomplish any thing other than scrolling horizontally. Hmmm. The machine has the Intel 82815 graphics onboard chipset. Resource use with the MX Live was a bit higher than that of AntiX 13.2, but that is probably RAM disc vs Hdd. CPU cycles were a little higher with MX. So at this time, until I get a PCI graphics card to install, I’m just concentrating on straightening out a couple of other issues. I ordered an ATI card off eBay last night that might show up tomorrow, but more likely Monday. Not many Nvidia PCI cards at this time.

I attempted to update the machine via Synaptic which generated a flock of errors. First time thru found that there was a “malformed line in /etc/apt/sources.list. Got that taken care of pretty easily with the assistance of good ole Google and SmartPage. Then fixed the GPG key authentication errors again after consulting search engines. There are a host of 404 errors yet to be resolved by changing sources.

One of the things that I’m not thrilled with is the necessity to re-enter root PW every time that I execute an edit of one of the sources.list lines. Plus I have found that Iceweazel 22 has a nasty tendency to crash on this system. But all things considered, this project is doing at least one thing that I had hoped it would do: provide a fertile learning experience.

I will take a look at either AntiX 17.4 or AntiX 19b2 either tonight or tomorrow. I really have my doubts that either of them will boot to the Live Desktop (and 17.4 i386 full failed initally) but I will give’em additional time (30 min) as a trial.

Ah, well…back to the keyboard.

Newfie

seaken64

Yes, the LiveCD can be pretty sluggish to boot on these old systems. It takes lots of patience. You also might want to try the Base version and select a Min window manager at the boot menu using the Function key options. Also try the Core version to confirm that antiX will even load. Of course, it is better to install to hard disk. You can use the command line installer. I try to avoid the LiveCD on the old Pentium-III’s. But you do need a spare hard disk for trials (or at least a spare partition), and lots of spare time.

Seaken64

NewfieDawg53
    NewfieDawg53

Yes, the LiveCD can be pretty sluggish to boot on these old systems. It takes lots of patience. You also might want to try the Base version and select a Min window manager at the boot menu using the Function key options. Also try the Core version to confirm that antiX will even load. Of course, it is better to install to hard disk. You can use the command line installer. I try to avoid the LiveCD on the old Pentium-III’s. But you do need a spare hard disk for trials (or at least a spare partition), and lots of spare time.

Time is something I have in abundance, to be sure. Plus I have 6-10 spare 20/40/60 GB hdds that have accumulated along with the PIIIs. I’ll give the a Core version a try (can’t hurt). I’m finding that the OS will load, but the only release version that I’ve managed to get a usable desktop loaded has been the 13.2. I have booted the “test” discs successfully on other machines not necessarily a PIII so I’m pretty confident that the burn was OK.

I ‘spect that most folks would have used a frozen Cod fish to beat the stuffing out of the machine in frustration by now. But, as I said gots plenty o’ time for the project and I am learnin’ more than a few new things as I go along.

Newfie

NewfieDawg53
    NewfieDawg53

Time is something I have in abundance, to be sure. Plus I have 6-10 spare 20/40/60 GB hdds that have accumulated along with the PIIIs. I’ll give the a Core version a try (can’t hurt). I’m finding that the OS will load, but the only release version that I’ve managed to get a usable desktop loaded has been the 13.2. I have booted the “test” discs successfully on other machines not necessarily a PIII so I’m pretty confident that the burn was OK.

Reporting back in that I have managed to boot to a Live Desktop after receiving an OLD (ca 1990s) PCI graphics card. They are not particularly common or easy to find other than the Gamer level cards that cost far more than what the Compaq machines are worth. Anyhow, it appears that the issue has been a conflict between the newer kernel drivers and the onboard Intel graphics chip. The old S3Trio64V+ card that I installed let me boot to a live desktop using AntiX 19b3. Screen resolution is defaulted to 800X600 but it works. Now to find another, perhaps newer/better card for the other machine.

Newfie

caprea
    caprea

it appears that the issue has been a conflict between the newer kernel drivers and the onboard Intel graphics chip

I still wonder why it’s like this and have a guess.
    The newer kernels and Xorg all use the modesetting driver by default for the intel graphics cards, while the older systems, like antiX 13, used the intel driver.

However, some intel-video cards, especially the older ones, have a problem with the modesetting-driver and it is possible to force the intel driver on an installed system.
    https://mxlinux.org/wiki/hardware/intel-video-driver/

If I’m not completely wrong, this is also possible with a live-usb(CD),
    by adding the boot parameter xorg=intel

Maybe worth a try.

NewfieDawg53
    NewfieDawg53

I still wonder why it’s like this and have a guess.
    The newer kernels and Xorg all use the modesetting driver by default for the intel graphics cards, while the older systems, like antiX 13, used the intel driver.

However, some intel-video cards, especially the older ones, have a problem with the modesetting-driver and it is possible to force the intel driver on an installed system.
    https://mxlinux.org/wiki/hardware/intel-video-driver/

If I’m not completely wrong, this is also possible with a live-usb(CD),
    by adding the boot parameter xorg=intel

Maybe worth a try.

Two big ole thumbs up! Since I have two identical Compaq PIIIs (aka Leo and Rudy) that I’m using as learning benches, I took a CD of AntiX 16 i386 base that would not boot to a Live Desktop and popped it in Leo. Once the boot screen came up, I added the xorg=intel parameter and tried booting. Voila! The additional boot parameter let me get to a Live Desktop where in the past the same CD refused to do so on the same machine (Leo). Don’t know if I should or not, but the attached photo shows the two desktops side by side.

I may pull the S3 card out of Rudy and install one of the newer releases. And keep learning.
    Me hat’s off to Caprea. And now back to head scratching/head banging. <BEG>

Newfie

seaken64

Excellent tip caprea. It’s like I said earlier in the thread, this community has been very helpful and encouraging in getting antiX running on some of this old stuff.

Newfie, what will you use your Pentium-III for once you get antiX up and running?

I use a couple of P-III’s for music and internet radio. I use one for learning more of the text-based console version of antiX, aka CORE.

Seaken64

NewfieDawg53
    NewfieDawg53

Newfie, what will you use your Pentium-III for once you get antiX up and running?

I use a couple of P-III’s for music and internet radio. I use one for learning more of the text-based console version of antiX, aka CORE.

Seaken64

I haven’t decided on the exact end use of the PIIIs since I’ve been more obsessed with getting into a usable condition. Most likely one will get used for learning Python or something similar. The other may end up as a web server for SOHO LAN. It’s been 4+ years since I did anything with WordPress so it’s about time that I got back to that. Having a box that I can ‘play” with as a teaching testbed is my ideal usage. I have to done anything with VMs and don’t really feel that I need to at this time. Mostly, the PIIIs will just be used to keep the little grey cells exercised.

And now, I’m off to do some reading about xorg….

Newfie

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.