Howdy

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX Howdy

• This topic has 12 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Aug 23-7:29 pm by RickyRaccoon.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    RickyRaccoon

New antiX user here from the US. I’ll admit to being a diehard Mint Cinnamon user, but one machine in the home has a dog of a CPU- a slow low-wattage AMD dual-core originally intended for laptops, if I’m not mistaken about it’s true intended use- Emachines thought it’d make a good Windows 7 SFF desktop. Not really. Plenty of RAM but too many open processes just bog the thing down and gets too busy running Cinnamon to be anything close to snappy- antiX with the default window manager breathes some pep back into it so I’ll be wiping the Mint on it and doing a clean 19.4 install as the sole OS.

linuxdaddy
    Helpful
    Up

Hi and welcome to antiX.

Normal == 🙂
    depends on the surrounding crowd ?!

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    Helpful
    Up

Howdy and Welcome.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

@rickyraccoon: Welcome to the antiX Forum!

Brian Masinick

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

Hello RickyRaccoon,

Welcome to antiX Linux and the forum.

Regardless of your level of knowledge about GNU/Linux, I recommend you read these excellent tutorials created by @PPC:

Short essential how-to list for the complete Linux newbie and How-to install applications – 2020 version.

I can’t write in English and I send you my texts translated by the internet translator, I hope you can understand everything.

When you start any topic or participate with any post, remember to check the option “Notify me of follow-up replies via email”, by checking this option you will receive a message in your email inbox whenever there are replies to the topic in question.

marcelocripe
    (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese)

– – – – –

Olá RickyRaccoon,

Seja bem-vindo ao antiX Linux e ao fórum.

Independentemente do seu nível de conhecimento sobre GNU/Linux, eu recomendo você ler estes excelentes tutoriais criados pelo @PPC:

Short essential how-to list for the complete Linux newbie e How-to install applications – 2020 version.

Eu não sei escrever em inglês e te envio os meus textos traduzidos pelo tradutor da internet, eu espero que você consiga compreender tudo.

Quando você iniciar algum tópico ou participar com alguma postagem, lembre-se de marcar a opção “Notify me of follow-up replies via email”, marcando esta opção, você receberá uma mensagem na sua caixa de e-mail sempre que houver respostas do tópico em questão.

marcelocripe
    (Texto original em Português do Brasil)

RickyRaccoon
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks y’all! I am practically a noob, although I’ve used Linux as my daily driver for years. Most things I do via the Terminal I usually find instructions online and copy/paste. I’ve tried on a lot of distros but never really ran anything besides Mint with the Cinnamon DE as a daily driver. Until now- the computer I’ve installed antiX on really needs a lightweight OS- and from what I can see, antiX is the best- it fills all my check boxes, pretty much. I have plenty of memory on it- 8GB- but the (soldered in, unupgradeable) CPU is a AMD-350 which I hear was pretty much an anemic notebook processor even when it was new. It shipped with Win 7, and ran it tolerable, but Windows 10 is like watching paint dry, and even your average modern Linux distro is irritatingly laggy. I have an old Radeon card in it which helps a little over the built-in graphics- and antiX helps a good bit. It’s never going to be fast- but at least it’s usable without feeling as if you’re stuck behind a nearsighted 90 year old on the highway.

Hello RickyRaccoon,

Welcome to antiX Linux and the forum.

Regardless of your level of knowledge about GNU/Linux, I recommend you read these excellent tutorials created by @PPC:

Short essential how-to list for the complete Linux newbie and How-to install applications – 2020 version.

Thanks for the links- some of that was already known- some not, though. I’ll have to get used to the antiX way of doing some things.

andyprough
    Helpful
    Up

John Lennon and Paul McCartney wrote a song about your brother, Rocky.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDcDCZGcZj8

Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Chicago & The Beach Boys (1974): “Wishin’ You Were Here”:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlVD_m5KXjw&list=RDGMEMJQXQAmqrnmK1SEjY_rKBGA&start_radio=1&rv=sDcDCZGcZj8

Brian Masinick

RickyRaccoon
    Helpful
    Up

Chicago & The Beach Boys (1974): “Wishin’ You Were Here”:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlVD_m5KXjw&list=RDGMEMJQXQAmqrnmK1SEjY_rKBGA&start_radio=1&rv=sDcDCZGcZj8

Interesting, hadn’t seen that collaboration before…

RickyRaccoon
    Helpful
    Up

Yup!

mikey777
    Helpful
    Up

I’m a bit late to the show on this thread, but a warm welcome to you RickyRaccoon – enjoy the antiX journey !

antix19.4-core+LXDE installed on the following:
    (2011) Samsung NP-N145 Plus – single-core CPU Intel Atom N455@1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, integrated graphics.
    (2008) Asus X71Q – dual CPU Intel T3200@2.0GHz, 4GB RAM. Graphics: Intel Mobile 4 Series (Integrated)
    (2007) Packard Bell Easynote MX37 (ALP-Ajax C3) – dual CPU Intel T2310@1.46GHz, 2GB RAM. Graphics: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 771/671

RickyRaccoon
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.