Hungarian translation

Forum Forums antiX-development Translations Hungarian translation

Tagged: 

• This topic has 40 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Jul 24-1:56 pm by Kempelen.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Kempelen

Hi all,

I’m working on the Hungarian translation. I open this post so that other Hungarians can find me and contribute.

The antiX main repo is nearly ready, a few mx-* stuff is missing, but work is in progress. Then I plan to do “community contributions” too, and update translation of some of external projects that are by-default installed on an AntiX.

If any Hungarians join (welcome!), please follow the “terms” that I added to Transifex. Also here is a general Hungarian Free Software Translation guide and a very big glossary, please use them.

And please always use the browser’s spellchecker.

And if you do not understand the exact meaning of the text, please do not translate those.

We are using “formal” wording (magázunk), not “friendly” (nem tegezünk). (Same as Ubuntu and other big distros, same as Firefox, Thunderbird, Gmail, only games use “friendly”.)

I have screenshots of all antiX tools and complete antiX boot process, with all text OCR-ed, I’ll upload that somewhere so we can find what text is where and why and what’s the meaning – in context. (This is in English, obviously.)

• This topic was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Kempelen.
      iznit

Very nice. Thank you, Kempelen.

Robin

Hello Kempelen,
          your effort is highly welcome!

In antix-community-contributions on transifex you’ll find the resources being automatically translated, and in need of manual improvement by native speakers.

Please be aware when translating you need to handle all the non translatable parts of some entries properly, otherwise scripts or programs won’t be able to run any longer or fail in some functions in your language. This goes esp. for newlines \\n or \n , indention \\t or \t , series of blanks, typographic emphasis like <i>…</i> , <u>…</u> etc. Another pitfall is the length of entries, some programs/scripts don’t come up with GUI properly when translated strings exceed the available space in GUI. Sometimes there are workarounds like adding lines in translation. See developers notes of a specific string for details. And there are some translatable entries which need to work as command line options, like –listfile which must not be split up by blanks (like “– list file”) in translation.
          In the end you’ll need to check out the result of your translation: Download your .po file “for use” after translation from transifex, convert it to .mo type file (either on console or by using poedit), rename it properly, and copy it to the system folder /usr/share/locale/hu/LC_MESSAGES with root privileges. Then start the program and check out whether everything works still as expected.

Some resources are not present at transifex by now, e.g. due to pdf file format not available for translation there. Please check out e.g. http://gitlab.com/Robin-antiX/acstv/-/blob/main/resources/helpfiles/hu.pdf Once you’ve improved the automatic translation, you can remove the stamp “automatically translated” from footer line and add your credits somewhere to the end of the text if you like.

If any questions or doubts about meaning or formatting issues, please don’t hesitate to pose it here on antix forums, or in IRC #antiX-translators at Libera.Chat network. (There is an automatic translation service available, allowing real time communication among people of different languages)

Happy translating!
          Robin

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

marcelocripe

Hello Kempelen.

Welcome to antiX Linux and the forum.

I don’t know how to write in English and I send my texts translated by the internet translator. I hope you can understand everything, if your native language is not English, please translate my original Brazilian Portuguese text directly into your language with the help of internet translators.

Regardless of your level of knowledge about GNU/Linux, I recommend you to read these excellent tutorials created by @PPC:

What is antiX and how to try it out or install it.
            Short essential how-to list for the complete Linux newbie.
            How-to install applications – 2020 version.
            How to: correctly use antiX forum.

When I first started using antiX, I read the tutorials that PPC created, these readings saved me a lot of time and I think it saves time for any new antiX user. Your time will not be wasted with these readings, everything will seem to be much easier than you could imagine. You will not waste your time searching the internet or even creating new topics, on the contrary, you will gain a lot of time with these readings. I recommend you try desktops that have “zzz” in their name. I usually use zzz-IceWM or zzz-JWM or zzz-Fluxbox (each of these workspaces has its own characteristics and consumes more or less resources). zzzFM will be the default file manager on your desktop, it is very similar to other file managers in other GNU/Linux distributions and Windows XP. To access other antiX workspaces, click on Menu, Desktop, Other Desktops and click on the workspace name, instantly the workspace will be loaded.
            Whenever you need to request help or technical support in this forum, explain in detail what is happening, do not mince words, be thorough when writing, inform the characteristics of your computer, such as brand and model. If possible, post the result of the command $ inxi -zv7 from the terminal, copy and paste it here in the message of the topic you are going to create in this forum.

When you start a topic or participate with a post, remember to check the option “Notify me of follow-up replies via email”, by checking this option, you will receive a message in your email box whenever there are replies from topic in question.

Regarding the translations:

Welcome to the team of volunteer translators of the antiX Linux community.

Please go to this topic antiX and antiX Application Program Translation Platforms for you to get important information about where and how to start translating. A Hungarian translation on this topic would be most welcome.

Thank you very much!
            (Nagyon szépen köszönjük!)

marcelocripe
            (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese language)

– – – – –

Olá Kempelen.

Seja bem-vindo(a) ao antiX Linux e ao fórum.

Eu não sei escrever em idioma Inglês e envio os meus textos traduzidos pelo tradutor da internet. Eu espero que você consiga compreender tudo, caso o seu idioma nativo não seja o Inglês, por favor, traduza o meu texto original em idioma Português do Brasil diretamente para o seu idioma com a ajuda dos tradutores da internet.
            Independentemente do seu nível de conhecimento sobre o GNU/Linux, eu recomendo você ler estes excelentes tutoriais criados pelo @PPC:

What is antiX and how to try it out or install it.
            Short essential how-to list for the complete Linux newbie.
            How-to install applications – 2020 version.
            How to: correctly use antiX forum.

Quando eu comecei a utilizar o antiX, eu li os tutoriais que o PPC criou, estas leituras me pouparam muito do meu tempo e acho que poupa o tempo de qualquer novo usuário do antiX. O seu tempo não será perdido com estas leituras, tudo parecerá ser muito mais fácil do que você poderia imaginar. Você não perderá o seu tempo com pesquisas na internet ou até mesmo em criar novos tópicos, ao contrário, você ganhará muito tempo com estas leituras. Eu recomendo você experimentar as áreas de trabalho que possuem “zzz” em seu nome. Eu costumo utilizar o zzz-IceWM ou zzz-JWM ou zzz-Fluxbox (cada uma destas áreas de trabalho possuem características próprias e consomem mais ou menos recursos). O zzzFM será o gerenciador de arquivos padrão da sua área de trabalho, ele é muito semelhante aos outros gerenciadores de arquivos das outras distribuições GNU/Linux e do Windows XP. Para acessar as outras áreas de trabalho do antiX, clique no Menu, Área de Trabalho, Alternar Entre as Áreas de Trabalho e clique sobre o nome da área de trabalho, instantaneamente a área de trabalho será carregada.

Sempre que você precisar solicitar ajuda ou suporte técnico neste fórum, explique com detalhes o que está acontecendo, não economize as palavras, seja minucioso ao escrever, informe as características do seu computador, como a marca e o modelo. Se for possível, poste o resultado do comando $ inxi -zv7 do terminal, copie e cole aqui na mensagem do tópico que você for criar neste fórum.
            Quando você iniciar algum tópico ou participar com alguma postagem, lembre-se de marcar a opção “Notify me of follow-up replies via email”, marcando esta opção, você receberá uma mensagem na sua caixa de e-mail sempre que houver respostas do tópico em questão.

No tocante as traduções:

Seja bem-vindo(a) a equipe de tradutores voluntários da comunidade antiX Linux.

Por favor, acesse este tópico antiX and antiX Application Program Translation Platforms para você obter informações importantes sobre onde e como começar a traduzir. Uma tradução húngara neste tópico será muito bem-vinda.

Muito obrigado!
            (Nagyon szépen köszönjük!)

marcelocripe
            (Texto original em idioma Português do Brasil)

Brian Masinick

Welcome to the antiX Forum Kempelen!

--
              Brian Masinick

Kempelen

Hi all,

Thank you for the warm welcome. 🙂

@Robin: Thank you for the details. Yes, I’m aware of such “variables” and HTML, I’m a programmer and I do free software translations time to time.

One thing I don’t know is that there are some “&” signs, for example “&Close”. I guess those refer to hotkeys, aren’t them? But do I always need to use the first letter? Or can I move the & anywhere in the word? (E.g. “Be&zárás” instead of “&Bezárás”)

I look at 90% of the programs while translating. I made screenshots of all the boot process menus (both syslinux and Grub), in VirtualBox. And I run the normal desktop or CLI programs while translating them. (But I cannot find a few of them!)

Thanks for the translation installation instructions. I tried that with one program already, but it was too much work, considering the size of the translation work itself too! I spent 2 months on it (not every day 😉 ), and still not ready. (A little was ready before, but it was mostly wrong!)

As for machine translations, such software makes horrible mistakes in Hungarian. This is a difficult language, and they don’t really cope with it. However in your PDF example, I cannot find any errors, most likely because it’s a big flow of text, so the translation software “gets used to it”. Impressive! But when translating individual short sentences, they make very bad mistakes. One example, that a friend mentioned:

“User left room” became “Left side of the user” (this was in another project, in a chat software) (He mentioned many such weird errors.)

When I saw “antixscreenshot2” announced as being machine translated, I looked at it, and quickly found similar errors. But now, I took a second look and I cannot find! It’s mainly just strange wording, but no serious error. (E.g. in first attempt “shot” was always translated to the word “shooting with a weapon”, not “taking a screenshot”. But all this is now gone. Magical.)

On “Google Play” I often notice it’s totally impossible to figure out what a specific program does, due to wrong machine translations. I think that’s when someone translates 1-2 sentences only – and the machine cannot figure out a good “context”.

(Personally: So I’m not happy about this pre-translation, because this makes the text very dumb at some places. If 5% dumb meaningless text is still OK, besides 95% good result then I think the world is on a way to kill languages… Or make people dumb and accept such text. And worst of all, if you see such a menu item, you have no clue what it would do. Or a meaningless message, what the program wanted to say???) (But honestly, nowadays it’s getting to an acceptable level.)

(I know, that many other languages, mainly western Europe was totally OK even 10 years ago. But even 2-3 years ago Hungarian machine translation was unusable.)

@marcelocripe: thank you for the links. I think I’ve read some of those, but I’ll double check. I’ve read many antiX documentation too, because I first needed to use it, and then I noticed there is “room for improvement”. We got some old laptops here, and I was looking for a distro that is happy with less resources. They are Core2Duo, and I selected the 32 bits version of antiX and we are very happy with the result. Except some of the totally horrible translations. One example “Midnight Commander” was translated to Hungarian, but that’s a software name. We don’t translate “Windows” either! 🙂 (We had no idea what some of those menus meant!) (This was from some contributors who had no idea. There were no machine translations there.)

It’s impressive that you always use machine translations. To Hungarian it was completely useless a year ago (both deepl and google) — however, nowadays I notice some “magic” is going on with them.

Thank you all!

Best regards,
                Kempelen

Robin

Let me try to answer at least some of your really good questions.
                  First, about the ampersand (&).

for example “&Close”. I guess those refer to hotkeys, aren’t them?

I’m pretty sure these are hotkeys and you can use any letter in the word. But you’ll probably need to check whether the very character you choose isn’t assigned already to some other command in same context. Hence I always try to keep the same character if possible, for your example I translate to “S&chließen” to avoid double or multiple assignment. It is hard to guess where a letter was assigned already without seeing the actual position of the string in program GUI. So, in case I’m not sure, I omit the ampersand, then no shortcut will be available, which is better than double or multiple assignment.

I look at 90% of the programs while translating.

That is actually the single method I know how avoid mistranslation. I do know it is much work.

antixscreenshot2 … automatic translation … But now, I took a second look and I cannot find! It’s mainly just strange wording, but no serious error.

That’s great news. Well, that is not magical, it is simply some hours of hard work 🙂 Accidentally I had improved Hungarian translation of antixscreenshot2 just before you entered here. And even when I do understand a few words of Hungarian language (have been to your country in young years) I couldn’t fix all this without applying a special method of using the automatic translation. Here’s the trick: I take each translated string from transifex, making sure to create a complete sentence in case sentences are split into multiple entries. Removing all formatting from it. Then feeding this prepared first raw translation to an online translation service, preferable to another service as the first translation was done by, now translating it back to source language (Since we use google for first translation, the back translation should be done by deepl in turn). Then comparing whether the meaning has changed or not. If meaning has not changed, the translation of this string is fine. Otherwise I modify the wording in source language, or make two or more sentences from one complex structure. Repeating this procedure until the retranslated string comes back to source language with the very meaning it needs.
                  This way you can make sure nothing but strange wording will be left in translation even to languages you can’t even read or understand, while the proper meaning should have been transported.
                  This procedure is meant for languages we don’t have translators by now who speak the respective language natively. And Hungarian was one of these until now, which was the reason why I applied this time consuming procedure on antixscreenshot2 Hungarian translation. You as a native speaker would have fixed it way faster, so it is great I know I can rely on you taking care of Hungarian language now. This will avoid strange wording and strange sentence structure as well 🙂 Don’t hesitate to improve my attempts.

Köszönöm szép you are with us now, Kempelen!

Kempelen

@Robin thank you for the answers.

Regarding & sign, this is very useful to know. I wish I knew this when I started. (Probably I left them at start in the beginning, thinking this is “something that needs to be there”. Later on I left it out and took notes which programs had many of this. So I can review those now. Not all unfortunately.)

The machine translation method you explained sounds very time consuming, so I appreciate a lot that you did that. Raw automatic translation is (often) very low quality to Hungarian, I was very happy to see the serious improvement in the result. I can confirm, your method works! 🙂

Please note that I totally gave up Google translate about 2 years ago, when I first saw Deepl, and noticed it’s way superior to Google. (I don’t know nowadays, but I think it is still much better for Hungarian.)

Regarding updates. I miss a feature in Transifex to see changes. Isn’t there some way to see if other translators changed things? (I got proofreader level rights to HU on this project (asked for it early 🙂 ), still I see no feature to view changes. Both CrowdIn and Weblate provides that function and I use it very often to review other translators’ work on some other projects. Without this, I won’t see if someone adds new translations. (And unfortunately already existing antiX translations were low quality, so it would be important that I can review any further work.)

Another thing: I don’t have MX, so I cannot review those translations. What do you recommend on that? Many programs are very similar, so my “guesswork” is not a blind shooting. But I feel it would be too much work to try/use a distro that I don’t plan to use. But I definitely want to complete those translations too, so that the wording will be consistent across those very similar programs. It would be very much distracting to me, if someone else had translated MX with a different wording and all those would pop up as “suggestions”. So I must do that too basically.

Thank you!

Robin

I wish I knew this when I started. (Probably I left them at start in the beginning, thinking this is “something that needs to be there”. Later on I left it out

Same here. That exactly describes my learning curve of the last two years. 🙂

totally gave up Google translate about 2 years ago, when I first saw Deepl, and noticed it’s way superior to Google

Yes, you are true, it matches exactly my experience. Deepl translations are way superior to google. The reason why our raw automatic translation is done by google is simply the command line client “translate-shell” uses google. Providing raw translation for more than 100 languages is only possible when running scripts on the resources at transifex. Please check out (but please keep in mind I’m not a true programmer):

Po-Translation script
                      English localisation of script
                      Language list file (needed for script operation)

And also for desktop files:

Desktop files translation script (no English localisation available by now)

These are the tools we run on antix-contribs transifex resources. Improvements and proposals for improvement always welcome.

I don’t have MX, so I cannot review those translations. What do you recommend on that?

Unfortunately I even don’t know MX myself, I haven’t ever tried it. But I am pretty sure it is also usable live from USB, just like antiX. So probably you can check out everything without installing it. And Probably Marcelocripe can tell you some more details about how to do it most easily.

I miss a feature in Transifex to see changes. Isn’t there some way to see if other translators changed things?

Yes, this feature is missing actually.

I got proofreader level rights to HU on this project

We have discussed whether we should use the review/proofread feature in transifex or not, and from our experience we noticed we found that this review/proofreading feature prevented some grave errors being fixed for many years in some languages. We have not seen abuse by now on antix-contribs without it, but if we observe such, and if needed, we’ll introduce this additional reviewing step of translation process.

it would be important that I can review any further work

As said, unfortunately activating this feature on transifex means blocking all other participants from fixing errors or formatting of strings if needed, once a string was reviewed.

so it would be important that I can review any further work

Above you’ve written you have some programming experience. Maybe you could derive a version checker from my po-translator script, which instead of translating a string compares the translation found on transifex entry by entry to a locally stored copy, e.g. printing all updated strings to stdout.
                      This way you could detect any changes of a resource.

marcelocripe

Unfortunately I even don’t know MX myself, I haven’t ever tried it. But I am pretty sure it is also usable live from USB, just like antiX. So probably you can check out everything without installing it. And Probably Marcelocripe can tell you some more details about how to do it most easily.

I don’t use MX Linux either, but I’ve been translating it together with antiX since August 2020. I intend to continue translating MX Linux until another Brazilian becomes a volunteer translator and contributes in some way with the operating system he uses without have to pay anything. But after so much time…, I start to believe that it will be very difficult to find other people willing to become volunteer translators, we work many hours here in Brazil and waste many hours in public transport (and even so the media insists on saying that we work little) and that’s why I think it’s very difficult to donate the little free time to GNU/Linux.

I can give you an example of what I usually do, I open two internet browser windows with Transifex, adjust the two windows to be side by side. In one of the windows I open the resource “antix-user” and in the other the “mx-user”. As the programs are similar, many English phrases are identical and therefore I translate or revise both programs at once. In the case of “antix-packageinstaller-descriptions” which has many more entries than “mx-packageinstaller-descriptions”, the antiX file completed later than the MX file, and some entries exist in the antiX file and not exist in the MX file and vice versa.

Ideally, the volunteer translator would use the GNU/Linux distribution, it would be nice if we could see exactly where each text will be used, and then translate and adjust it as space permits. I’m no longer surprised when the pt-BR text doesn’t fit in the window, or that a line break needs to be added, but there’s no way I can guess that. If the pt-BR text did not fit, then certainly the Greek, Russian, etc. they also didn’t fit and the final presentation was “ugly”, because the translator has no way of guessing where and how the text will be displayed in the program. With a few small exceptions, like for example the huge work Robin did on antiX Screenshot 2 (with screenshots) and on aCSTV (explaining everything to me via HexChat), as well as the “mx-rofi-manager” program that Melber published several times images in the topic New Transifex Resource: mx-rofi-manager. In general, programmers do not use (or do not know how to use) comments, so we have no way of knowing what we can or should translate. But I think the following, if it’s on Transifex and there isn’t a comment, then it’s to translate everything, or whatever is possible to be translated. We would have to test all the translations to reach the maximum perfection in the communication between the program (programmer) and the end user, something like I was able to do in aCSTV and antiX Screenshot 2, where I believe it was 99.9998% perfect . I never consider a “100% perfect” translation, because I think there’s always room for improvement.

I hope this helps you with your translations.

– – – – –

Eu também não utilizo o MX Linux, mas o traduzo junto com o antiX desde agosto de 2020. Eu pretendo continuar traduzindo o MX Linux até que um outro Brasileiro torne-se um tradutor voluntário e contribua de alguma forma com o sistema operacional que utiliza sem ter que pagar nada. Mas após tanto tempo…, eu começo a acreditar que será muito difícil encontrar outras pessoas dispostas a ser tornarem tradutores voluntários, nós trabalhamos muitas horas aqui no Brasil e perdemos muitas horas no trasnporte coletivo (e mesmo assim a mídia insiste em dizer que trabalhamos pouco) e por isso eu acho que é muito difícil doar o pouco tempo livre para o GNU/Linux.

Eu posso dar um exemplo do que eu costumo fazer, eu abro duas janelas do navegador de internet com o Transifex, ajusto as duas janelas para ficarem lado a lado. Em uma das janelas eu abro o recurso “antix-user” e na outra o “mx-user”. Como os programas são semelhantes, muitas frases em Inglês são idênticas e desta forma eu traduzo ou reviso os dois programas de uma só vez. No caso do “antix-packageinstaller-descriptions” que possui muito mais entradas do que o “mx-packageinstaller-descriptions”, o arquivo do antiX foi concluído depois do arquivo do MX, além de que algumas entradas existem no arquivo do antiX e não existem no arquivo do MX e vice-versa.

O ideal seria que o tradutor voluntário utilizasse a distribuição GNU/Linux, seria bom se pudéssemos ver exatamente onde cada texto será utilizado, para depois traduzir e ajustar conforme o espaço permita. Eu já não fico mais surpreso quando o texto pt-BR não cabe na janela, ou que seria necessário adicionar uma quebra de linha, mas não tem como eu adivinhar isso. Se não coube o texto pt-BR, então certamente o texto Grego, Russo, etc. também não caberam e apresentação final ficou “feia”, porque o tradutor não tem como adivinhar onde e como o texto será exibido no programa. Com algumas pequenas exceções, como por exemplo, o enorme trabalho que o Robin fez no antiX Screenshot 2 (com imagens) e no aCSTV (me explicando tudo via HexChat), além do programa “mx-rofi-manager” que o Melber publicou várias imagens no tópico New Transifex Resource: mx-rofi-manager. No geral, os programadores não utilizam (ou não sabem utilizar) os comentários, então, não temos como saber o que podemos ou o que devemos traduzir. Mas eu penso o seguinte, se está no Transifex e não existe um comentário, então é para traduzir tudo, ou o que for possível ser traduzido. Nós teríamos que testar todas as traduções para atingir o máximo da perfeição na comunicação entre o programa (programador) e o usuário final, algo como eu pude fazer no aCSTV e no antiX Screenshot 2, onde eu acredito que tenha ficado 99,9998% perfeito. Eu nunca considero como uma tradução “100% perfeita”, porque eu acho que sempre dá para melhorar alguma coisa.

Eu espero que isso te ajude nas suas traduções.

Brian Masinick

MX Linux is a light-medium sized distribution because the default versions include a desktop environment (Xfce or KDE), and one other version contains Fluxbox, but still contains libraries from the primary version, so it’s not quite as light as antiX. It does, however, run well on distributions that are at least a decade old. Not long ago I checked out a MX Linux version live on a system built in the 2009-2012 era and it worked fine.

In the past I’ve used MEPIS, MX Linux and antiX from live instances and they all work that way very well. Also there is some overlap in the contributors to antiX and MX Linux. Dolphin Oracle and anticapitalista, plus the webmaster “peregrine” have participated in both distributions, for what it’s worth.

--
                          Brian Masinick

Kempelen

Hi all,

Thank you for all the answers.

@Robin Thank you for the scripts. I do not want to do machine translations, but I tried to use your script to fetch some data. I didn’t know “tx client” exists, I found this in your program. Then I try to run it:

po-übersetzung.sh antix-linux-community-contributions antix-contribs en@pirate unplugdrive hu
                            Keine .pot Datei gefunden. Hole aktuelle .pot-Datei vom transifex Server
                            tx ERROR: not enough values to unpack (expected 2, got 1)

The error is within tx client, but it does not tell what exactly. (I suspect it’s something with the config file that your program created, so I list that here too:

[main]
                            host = http://www.transifex.com
                            [o:antix-linux-community-contributions:p:antix-contribs:r:unplugdrive]
                            file_filter = po/<lang>/unplugdrive.po
                            minimum_perc = 0
                            source_file = po/unplugdrive.pot
                            source_lang = en@pirate
                            type = PO

When I tried to just “txt init” in another folder, I cannot finish that, because it asks for a “file” but I don’t have any file. I want to GET files. 🙂

Verifying token...
                            tx INFO: Updating /home/lion/.transifexrc file...
                            The Transifex Client syncs files between your local directory and Transifex.
                            The mapping configuration between the two is stored in a file called .tx/config
                            in your current directory. For more information, visit
                            http://docs.transifex.com/client/config/.
                            [?] Enter the path to your local source file: 
                            No file was found in that path. Please correct the path or make sure a file exists in that location.
                            [?] Enter the path to your local source file: mx-switchuser
                            No file was found in that path. Please correct the path or make sure a file exists in that location.

Thanks if you can help how to pull everything from the two main projects (antix and contribs), HU language only. I could then use Lokalize (or whatever smaller tool) to compare changes later.

(If I simply try “tx pull -l hu” in the created unplugdrive folder, i get the same “unpack” error message as above, so the error is not from your script but tx directly. But this is the line in your script where “tx” displays it:

tx pull -s -r "$projektkennung.$ressourcenkennung" # --no-interactive

Regarding change history: I think “proofreading” would give me the possibility to find new additions by other translators later by simply looking at what is not proofread yet. Anybody could message me asking for a change. (But I also faced that problem in other projects, where we could not find any way to change approved strings – so I totally agree with your worries.)

ps: it’s the first time I see “tx client”, so… thank you! 😉

@marcelocipe and Brian: yes, OK. Honestly, it’s good to hear that you guys also don’t really use MX and still you can work on the translation. 🙂 Then I’ll just do that too.

For finding similar strings I use Transifex’s “translation memory”, so I don’t need to split my brain to two browsers. 🙂 It offers similar translations, and to some degree I remember what I translated in the other project already.

There were some other volunteers in Hungarian before, but unfortunately some of them were not tech guys and YET THEY TRANSLATED things they didn’t understand. This resulted in words that we never use in a Linux… 😉 This is why I’m worried about not being able to see future changes. But I totally agree with you that new contributors would be welcome in many languages. (And in many other free software projects too.)

Kempelen

@Robin: one more thing: using German variable and function names in code… that’s very bad practice if you speak English anyway. :-/

Kempelen

@Robin: if I start editing “contribs” files, will the automatic translation not overwrite my work? 🙂 How do you make the distinction of manual updates? Thank you.

Robin

Some question, Kempelen: How did you install tx client?
                                  As noted in the instructions given in script header (in English language) of po-übersetzen script you need to use the most recent version of tx client, (written in go) instead of the latest version present as apt installable deb packages from debian repository (python still). The python version is incompatible to their recent ver 3.0 api, so you have to install the tx client directly from:
                                  Transifex tx client latest release

Secondly: Sorry, your question made me aware I’ve missed to mention an important part of the setup process of tx client in the script header:
                                  You need an api token. Please follow the instructions from:
                                  Transifex-help: How to get an API token

This token must be present in a hidden file .transifexrc in your home folder. (I have copied my old .transifexrc file from former systems, again and again, so I had forgotten about the process to create it originally)

Some more details about using the tx client you can find here:
                                  Developers site at transifex: CLI

using German variable and function names in code

Maybe, but as said, I’m not a programmer, and using my native language instead of English makes it is possible for me to write complex structures like that. Even if I know English language, it does not mean that I can express myself in it as naturally and as fast as in my native tongue. The additional translation of the structures into English makes writing code almost impossible for me when it comes to complex structures. So maybe it is bad style, but it is the only style I can provide. As I said, please keep in mind I’m not a true programmer. And true programmers should not have any difficulty understanding the code even with my variable names, since they are probably used to take these names as abstracts like a, b, c, or x, y, z, no need to understand the German words. Anyway, I’ve added translations to English as comments everywhere in the script to allow English speaking people to understand the workflow and processing.

if I start editing “contribs” files, will the automatic translation not overwrite my work?

No, I’ve made sure my script doesn’t touch any existing translation found on transifex. It will not overwrite anything, only fill up empty strings of a language. Languages translated 100% will get skipped completely. Also, I made sure there is a very short window of time of some seconds only, where a fresh manual translation entry on transifex might get overwritten by the script, minimising the risk: My script re-downloads the recent state of translation on transifex again after it has processed the translation of all empty entries of a language (which might take some hours on huge resources), and compares by creating checksums whether something was changed on transifex since first download of that very language. Only if checksums still match, the translated result will get uploaded, otherwise an error message about that language is printed to screen. So you will never see any of your manual translations get overwritten by the script.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.