Hungarian translation

Forum Forums antiX-development Translations Hungarian translation

Tagged: 

• This topic has 21 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Jan 14-12:01 pm by Robin.
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Kempelen
      Helpful
      Up
      ::

@Robin: thank you for the further instructions.

Sorry, I skipped the header, I skipped to “Workflow and Instructions” and missed your note about tx versions. 🙂 Maybe you could move it to step 1 where it says Install and set up transifex client, that’s where I immediately headed to Synaptic and tried to search for it and was happy to see this exists as a deb.

The token: yes, thank you, I did that yesterday, that’s why my code output above starts with an OK to “Verifying Token…”

One thing I forgot yesterday, line 75 has a typo that also results in errors if someone copies your example command. There is “anitx” instead of “antix” (but I noticed that soon)

/bin/bash po-ĂĽbersetzung.sh antix-linux-community-contributions anitx-contribs en@pirate unplugdrive en

I’ve upgraded my “tx”. Unfortunately I still get an error message:

po-ĂĽbersetzung.sh antix-linux-community-contributions antix-contribs en@pirate unplugdrive hu
      Keine .pot Datei gefunden. Hole aktuelle .pot-Datei vom transifex Server
      # Getting info about resources

antix-contribs.unplugdrive - 404, not_found: No <code>Project</code> resource found with the identifier <code>o:antix-linux-community-contributions:p:antix-contribs</code>
      [##############################] (1 / 1)
      Aborted
      /home/lion/bin/po-ĂĽbersetzung.sh: line: 174: ./po/unplugdrive.pot-8678: No such file or directory
      [....]

Then it continues with some more file not found errors. But if I want to download the PO files, and not do machine translation, maybe I could continue with “tx” only. (Before I opened your script, I didn’t even know this “thing” exists! 🙂 )

Thanks for the other answers too, that’s great!

Kempelen
        Helpful
        Up

I did pull all HU files, so now I can make a backup, which should allow me to compare further contributions by others. This is excellent, thanks again! 🙂

tx init
        tx add remote --file-filter 'translations/<project_slug>.<resource_slug>/<lang>.<ext>' https://www.transifex.com/antix-linux-community-contributions/antix-contribs/dashboard/
        tx pull -l hu
        Robin
          Helpful
          Up

Many thanks, Kempelen, for spotting my typo in line 75, I’ll fix it in next update soon, and also follow your proposal to mention the need not to use tx version from debian repo to the step by step instructions.

I’ve upgraded my “tx”. Unfortunately I still get an error message:

This most probably happens because you’ve had installed the outdated tx client before on your system.

After replacing the outdated python tx client by the new go tx client you need to update your ~/.transifexrc file. E.g. it needs to contain an additional line

rest_hostname = https://rest.api.transifex.com

to avoid the 404 error messages. These cause the followup file not found errors; as described in the translation script instructions my script doesn’t contain any checks or error handling by now.

Please check whether this line is present. If this line is not present, you need to run
          tx migrate
          once. Then the error message about resource not found should not come up any longer.

See Transifex developers site: Migrating from older versions of the client

which should allow me to compare further contributions by others.

Well, now I have a question: How do you spot differences within the translated strings? You’ll notice soon, that two .po files can contain 100% identical translation strings without being identical itself as a file. This is due to the fact you can split up any entry into multiple lines (as described in the instructions inside my translation script)

Example:
          This entry
          msgstr "Az aktuális program előnézetének megjelenítése a böngészőben"

is 100% identically to that entry:

msgstr "Az aktuális program"
          " előnézetének megjelenítése "
          "a böngészőben"

and also 100% identically to:

msgstr ""
          "Az "
          "aktuális program"
          " előnézetének"
          " megjelenítése "
          "a böngészőben"

Same goes for all msgid entries.

These kind of reformatting is done sometimes by transifex silently and without notice, as well as by the local program poedit, which is the reason why you can’t rely on a simple checksum comparison to compare two versions of a .po file translation. You can’t even compare it using tools like diff or meld, which will show you hundreds or thousands of differences, while actually no difference in translation exists.

The proper comparison of two versions of a translation is an important task, i.e. when we talk about huge resource like e.g. zzzFM. You simply can’t look up a tiny difference manually in it’s po file.

Single way out of this is to parse the .po files, extracting all the msgstr entries to single line entries and compare them individually to the respective entry from the other version file.

Any ideas? I believe a proper comparison could be done by a script, similar to my translating script, but reading both files entry by entry, comparing them rather than translating. This would allow to check all the translated resources more frequently for changes, allowing to check what actually has been changed since last update in the repository.

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

Kempelen
            Helpful
            Up

Hi @Robin

I did “tx migrate” yesterday, before I posted my reply. Without that nothing worked. (E.g. you can see, I can download the whole project.) So the rest hostname is there already (I double checked now). So the error 404 lies somewhere else. Please note that the error says:

No Project resource found with the identifier o:antix-linux-community-contributions:p:antix-contribs

Is that a correct reference to “project resources”? I cannot spot any more typos in it, but there might be some error with that o:…p:… thing. And I did completely delete the folders that your script created, to make a fresh start (that was yesterday too). I’m sorry if this is still my “user error”. 🙂

Regarding comparison: since I didn’t try yet, I cannot really tell. I have two ideas in advance:

I will commit yesterday’s backup to a local git repository. Then with any future update I can do a git diff – or use a visual git diff program. If strings do not shuffle up and down in high numbers, this should be easy to overview. What I will want to spot is total failures in translations, from contributors who clearly have no clue about what the text means. Those should be easy to spot. And then I fix them on Transifex. Download again, if looks better, commit to git. And leave it for another time period.

The line-break change you mentioned: I could easily skip those in the DIFF VIEW, if they don’t happen in large quantities.

My plan B is to use Lokalize’s PO file comparison functions. I have not tried this yet, but I heard some other Hungarian translators use this to find new translations to overview others’ changes. It can compare two PO files visually, and I hope that does all the file parsing correctly.

I just need to skim over all changes, and if updated texts look “reasonable”.

Most errors in antiX original HU translation were so bad, that they are easy to spot. E.g. “Firefox localization for Hungarian” was something like “Firefox positioning for Hungarian” (location, rather than localization). Or “Midnight Commander” was translated to “ÉjfĂ©l Parancsnok”. I can easily spot if the translator knew what he is doing or not, and that is my aim. Not perfect in-context checking of everything. The current (original antiX 22) translation is so bad, it’s painful to open in Hungarian. (Fortunately it was 5% translated only. 🙂 )

I maintain some other translations too, in software that allows seeing “list of changes”. On those I usually just read the change list quickly. (Mouse over displays the English text in CrowdIn if I want to verify better.) Usually the errors are “typical”, e.g. translating a term that I pre-defined to something else – I spot those easily. Or using Friendly language instead of Formal. If the translation looks as a perfect Hungarian sentence, I usually skip to next. Or if I suspect, that the sentence had such complexity as it could be misunderstood by the translator, then I double check with “mouse over”. (Some sentences are very tricky – that’s where machine translation bleeds out too, but some Hungarians fail more often than Deepl.com! :-))) (Especially if they don’t know the specifics of the software. E.g. Live USB things in antiX. I did try all the Remaster and other things on Pendrive before even starting translation. I have to pendrive with antiX. And I have the full install, both x86_64 on my PC, and 32bits on old laptop. And I’m testing the installer too (Live->Install) in VirtualBox that is. I do that in Ubuntu because I cannot boot the antiX Live in antiX VirtualBox. 🙂 I took screenshots of all that, so I can look back any of the original English strings without installing or booting. Maybe I should upload those screenshots somewhere, so other translators can see too. But I have OCR-ed their text, and I want to make a program so that text can be searched somehow… (Even if only with CTRL-F in the browser.) (OCR does not work well on boot process, but it works OK in normal GUI programs.))

Thanks for your help!

Robin
              Helpful
              Up

So the error 404 lies somewhere else.

Strange thing. Just checked and ran it on a couple of languages from here:
              (as you can see, it properly checks and skips the already completely translated German language before starting translation of the empty strings of Afrikaans.)

demo@antix1:/media/sda4/Arbeitsordner/Ăśbersetzung
              $ /bin/bash po-ĂĽbersetzung.sh antix-linux-community-contributions antix-contribs-testing en@pirate recently-used en

antix-contribs-testing.recently-used - Done

# Pulling files

antix-contribs-testing.recently-used [source] - Done
              Kein Ăśbersetzungsmuster gefunden. Bitte erstellen Sie die Datei
                ./antix-contribs-testing/recently-used/po/BEARBEITET.recently-used.pot
              aus der original .pot Datei und starten das Script erneut.

Now copy ./antix-contribs-testing/recently-used/po/recently-used.pot to ./antix-contribs-testing/recently-used/po/BEARBEITET.recently-used.pot and repeat the command from before.

demo@antix1:/media/sda4/Arbeitsordner/Ăśbersetzung
              $ /bin/bash po-ĂĽbersetzung.sh antix-linux-community-contributions antix-contribs-testing en@pirate recently-used en
              3352655 (process ID) old priority 0, new priority 14
              Lese .pot-Datei: 52 Zeilen.
              --------------------
              *  Ăśbersetze zu de
              --------------------
              Hole Ăśbersetzung vom transifex-Server

# Pulling files

antix-contribs-testing.recently-used [de] - Done

Sprache ist bereits zu 100% ĂĽbersetzt. Wird ĂĽbergangen.
              Erzeuge Dateien im git-Verzeichnis.

# Pulling files

antix-contribs-testing.recently-used [de] - Done
              --------------------
              *  Ăśbersetze zu af
              --------------------

# Pulling files

antix-contribs-testing.recently-used [af] - Local file is newer than remote, skipping

# Pulling files

antix-contribs-testing.recently-used [af] - Done
              Verarbeite po-Datei, 50 Zeilen

Recent files Dynamic menu
              Onlangse lĂŞers Dinamiese spyskaart

Are you sure you want to delete your Recent files history?  
              Is jy seker jy wil jou Onlangse lĂŞers-geskiedenis uitvee?

Delete
              Vee uit

Done!
              Klaar!

Recent Files to Display
              Onlangse lĂŞers om te vertoon

Enter the number of recent files  \\n you want to be displayed
              Voer die aantal onlangse lĂŞers in wat jy wil vertoon

# Pulling files

Ăśbertrage komplettierte Ăśbersetzung zum transifex Server

# Pushing translations

Erzeuge Dateien im git-Verzeichnis.

# Pulling files

*  Übersetzung zu af abgeschlossen. Fortsetzung in 3 Sekunden. Taste »b« zum Beenden.
              --------------------
              *  Ăśbersetze zu am
              --------------------

I’ve added you to antiX-contribs-testing team on transifex, so you can use this additional testing space for what it is meant: testing.
              In order to check out why it didn’t work for you, please try in roxterm (cd to the working folder where the script and the sprachen.lst file is located first):

This should skip all languages translated already and start translating all the untranslated strings of the resource “recently-used” in testing space.
              Btw, it is a good idea to copy and paste the transifex organisation-“slug”, the project-“slug” and the resource-“slug” directly from the URL line displayed in browser, e.g.:

https://www.transifex.com/antix-linux-community-contributions/antix-contribs-testing/recently-used/

As you can see, mostly everything needed is present therein.
              In antiX-contribs and antiX-contribs-testing the project language is en@pirate (in order to allow all foreign languages a program might be written in originally as source language), while the resource “recently-used” has “en” as true source language obviously.

Btw, from what OS are you running the script? Maybe there is some difference in the shell or some other tool differs? Remember, I’m not a programmer and have no clue how to make sure a script can be written to be portable. So it may easily work only on antiX. (originally written on antiX 17, but the recent version was only checked on antiX 21/22.)

Kempelen
                Helpful
                Up

Hi @Robin,

Thank you. I don’t have access to that “testing” project, it says

lion@kmp:~/backup/antix_transifex$ /bin/bash po-ĂĽbersetzung.sh antix-linux-community-contributions antix-contribs-testing en@pirate recently-used en

antix-contribs-testing.recently-used - 403, permission_denied: You do not have permission to perform this action.

My Transifex username is “antixhu“.

I tried to copy-paste another program’s all “slug” parts from an URL, as you recommended, but still nothing:

https://www.transifex.com/antix-linux-community-contributions/antix-contribs/antixscreenshot2/

lion@kmp:~/backup/antix_transifex$ bash po-ĂĽbersetzung.sh antix-linux-community-contributions antix-contribs en@pirate antixscreenshot2 hu

antix-contribs.antixscreenshot2 - 404, not_found: No <code>Project</code> resource found with the identifier <code>o:antix-linux-community-contributions:p:antix-contribs</code>
                Aborted
                /home/lion/bin/po-ĂĽbersetzung.sh: sor: 174: ./po/antixscreenshot2.pot-6262: No such file or directory

Please note that I tried with both “hu” and “en” as last parameter, same result. And I tried re-downloading your program, just to make sure I didn’t break it while reading it.

I’m on antiX 22. (I didn’t know antiX before this version. 🙂 )

I think I followed all your instructions. But since I’m a programmer, and I know bash too, I should be able to solve this instead of asking you. I just hoped it’s something simple that you notice immediately! We can leave this for now, and I’ll get back to it later. I would like to dedicate my “antiX time” to translation, I’m so near to 100% on the main repo, only a few MX stuff are missing! (And the hundreds of “Firefox localization for XY”, “LibreOffice localization for XY” in antix-packageinstaller-descriptions – I don’t plan to translate those. Or maybe I’ll use automation on those using your program. 🙂 )

Thanks again, I’ll let you know if I figure out what was wrong.

Robin
                  Helpful
                  Up

My Transifex username is “antixhu“.

OK, this makes things clear. I added an existing user “kempelen (F… V…)” at transifex to the contribs-testing team, thinking this was you.
                  Now I’ve added antixhu also. If the kempelen account on transifex doesn’t belong to you, please let me know, then I’ll remove it from the testing team again immediately.

So you can easily check out now with antixhu whether the testing line on contribs-testing I provided above works without producing this strange 404.
                  Strange, because the script creates all the needed local structures and its hidden .tx subfolders containing the config for each resource on its own, and here it works fine for me always (I re-downloaded the script from gitlab for testing). So I can’t think of any reason why it should fail for you. By any chance, have you changed your default IFS in shell?

Btw, hu is wrong here, it would be hu only if true source language of translatable strings in a resource would be hu instead of en. But this parameter is only used to tell translate-shell what source language identifier is to be submitted to google, it should not produce any error before actually some string is actually sent in for translation to the server of translation provider. You’ll notice some of our resources need “pt” here, some need “de” and some “fr”. But most of them need simply “en” as true source language. You need to check out the source language in pot file (could probably read out this piece of information from .pot file header automatically, will try to add this feature some day).

To make sure no download error happened: The sha-256 checksum of the 0.68 version of the script reads
                  fd94b2f42476401b46d9066d131f3ceda1125221fdc41451e891542e085e9896
                  (sorry, had not put the checksum file on gitlab for this resource by now)

Last idea: Maybe adding the line
                  # -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
                  on second line within the script, directly below the shebang, makes a difference?

I would like to dedicate my “antiX time” to translation

That’s great. When starting translation at antiX-contribs, would you mind to start with aCSTV and antiXscreenshot2 resource? aCSTV will be the very next I plan to package finally, and it would be great if checked Hungarian translation could be included. The next one planned for packaging will be antiXscreenshot2 then. No fixed deadlines, since we do all this in spare time volunteer.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.