Hungarian translation

Forum Forums antiX-development Translations Hungarian translation

Tagged: 

• This topic has 40 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Jul 24-1:56 pm by Kempelen.
Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Brian Masinick

Regarding zzzFM, for the benefit of our new members, it is a rewrite of the former SpaceFM. All three common file managers with “FM”. zzzFM (current), SpaceFM (previous) and PCManFM (previous) share common roots, but only zzzFM has been recently maintained and updated. Unfortunately the author is deceased.

There was another very fine antiX contributor during the same era who left the project. That person was also responsible for several of our tools.
      We have a couple of developers, and they are currently working hard on the next release, antiX 23.

If you have development, testing, documentation, art or other skills, we always need help. Feel free to share in the forum, and OF COURSE we always need people fluent in multiple languages who are willing to assist in the language translation and localization effort.

Thank you all for your contributions!

--
      Brian Masinick

Kempelen

@Robin sorry for the long break. 😉 Meanwhile I was of course working on the translation. Your help with “tx” was very useful, I do keep a local backup and I use “git diff” to compare to previous changes. This way I’ll see if some Hungarians adds some work, I can review it and so on.

I have a quick question and I think you are the right person who knows this.

ZZZFM: if I translate it in “contribs”, that is the right place, is it? Please confirm that, because I’m in very big work with it. I decided that “broken” machine translation is worse than no translation, so I want to complete this before anything else. I won’t have time for all the contribs, but I want to complete the “main” as much as possible for antiX 23, and zzz.

Please confirm you are not loading in any HU machine translations since we agreed on this. In some strings I noticed “3 months ago” and your name, but we agreed in January, that this language cannot be made with machines.

Thanks in advance!

Kempelen

I’m probably confused some things in this thread and the answer is probably “Yes” “Yes” to my two questions. I gave up zzzFM back then, thus I forgot.

Wallon

That’s a good question because anticapitalista doesn’t normally use the Transifex translations of “contribs”.
            But I don’t know how the zzzfm localisation was done.
            Maybe it’s an exception.

Wallon

Dear Kempelen,

I’ve had a look at your translations.
              You can’t use the typewriter apostrophe in your translations. This has already been explained several times on the forum. The wrong apostrophe has a straight shape.

For explanations, please read the following thread;

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/hello-from-turkey/

Best regards,
                Wallon

Attachments:
              marcelocripe

That’s a good question because anticapitalista doesn’t normally use the Transifex translations of “contribs”.

In the past, I think it was the late Xecure and Robin who took care of this, they harvested the translations from Transifex Contribs and sent them to GitLab Contribs which made everything easier for the anticapitalista who needed to clone the project to antiX Linux GitLab.

– – – – –

No passado, eu acho que foi o saudoso Xecure e o Robin cuidaram disso, eles colheram do Transifex Contribs as traduções e as enviou para o GitLab Contribs que facilitou tudo para o anticapitalista que precisou clonar o projeto para o GitLab do antiX Linux.

Kempelen

@wallon I’m using the same quotes and apostrophes as the original English string to minimize any possible problems. I think the allowed characters depend on the context, and same as original English string should be no problem. Also that depends on how the program uses it, and if it causes a problem, that’s a program bug and it should be fixed by “escaping” it. Honestly, in Hungary we never use ‘ (typewriter apostrophe), we use double quotes “, but I kept the original English format to minimize chance of breaking it. (E.g. even in BASH, if you quote a string with “, you can use ‘ in it, and if you quote it with ‘, you can use ” in it. Thus using something else than original English asks for troubles.)

(I believe what you write, but if that’s the case, then the program needs to be fixed to allow the same quotes as in original English string. Because that’s what most translators will use.)

@marcelocripe I can see last Transifex merge is 1 year old there. 🙁 Well, I’ll make the translations and then we will see.. Maybe I make a fork on Github and use my own translations then. 😉

I’m in syslinux boot menu on my laptop, in antiX23 beta 2. I noticed some errors in translation, even this whole help is VERY SUSPICIOUS to me. But I cannot find where this is translated. Can you guys please tell me? (I mean, the Live boot menu which is NOT the Grub boot menu.) Thanks!

Kempelen

I mean the HELP pages of that syslinux boot menu. I looked everywhere, cannot find that. Translation is very low quality, maybe machine translated, I don’t know. 🙁

Kempelen

@Robin The early machine translations are so bad, that they totally make no sense. Isn’t there a way that you delete from zzzFM those strings that I didn’t edit yet? I edited about 500 so far. And from unplugdrive, and maybe others that are so old??

(I didn’t really check newer ones yet, they seem to have higher quality, as we discussed earlier. So I don’t know about those. But the old ones are way worse than if it had no translation. Honestly, I do not even really want to check new ones, because “they are ready”.)

If this is not possible anymore, because I added my own translations, it’s OK.

But whenever I start on “contribs” this feds me up and I give up – in 10 minutes maximum. While on “Main”- which was empty, I just needed to translate – easy work. Way easier than trying to figure out what to do with the machine translation. Normal translation puts me in a “flow”, where I simply write in what is needed. But if there are meaningless sentences one after another, it just annoys me up. 🙁

“Unplugdrive” -> “Pull out from the wall outlet” (this is how machine translated that “word”.) I simply cannot correct all those… 🙁

PPC

@Kempelen – Robin has been away from the forum for a while, lets hope that he returns soon.
                        There are a few divergent opinions about using machine translation – I’m usually against it, unless it’s used only as a way to help a human translator, to speed up the translation process. I usually say that if something is in English, a resourceful non English speaking user can look it up or use a good on-line translator. A bad translation (automatic or not) on the other hand, can make a program completely unusable- I can learn, for example, the Russian characters for “Configuration”. But if a button says some gibberish in my own language, my brain will get stuck trying to understand it, we are not used to having to translate something that seems to be in our own language.
                        Some users thought, on the other hand, that having something machine translated can make the software more usable (and sometimes it does), or if not, prompt users to correct the translations…
                        I’m not saying that I’m right, I’m just explaining how antiX ended up with so many “bad” machine translated sentences – that took a lot of work to include in antiX, in an effort to make it more usable in more places of the world…

P.

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by PPC.
                        Kempelen

Thank you @PPC . I totally agree with your comments on machine translation, that’s an excellent description! 🙂 Hungarian language is especially difficult for machines. Even simple thing like “Copy” and “Paste” are broken in zzzFM. 🙁 Thanks for letting me know that Robin has been away for a while. Then I’ll solve this by my own.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.