I have downloaded a document in an unknown language !

Forum Forums General Other Languages French I have downloaded a document in an unknown language !

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by corsiglia Oct 25-11:13 am.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    corsiglia

Good evening !

I don’t know what do you think about that : I have received a mail from my insurance company with an attached file, but it is written in a language I don’t know and it is in an unreadable format !
    Is there something to do ?
    Thank you
    Corsiglia

Anti X / Ubuntu 18.04 / IPAD 12

fungalnet
    fungalnet

I don’t see a harm in copy paste to translete.google.c0m but if you have no clue where it came from it is probably spam and you should treat it as such.

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

You’re Insurance company address is the header in your email address. Does it match contents in contacts?
    Unknown Language > red flag
    File attached > do not open or download till you figure it out with like

https://www.snopes.com/ or a google search

Once. Way back when. I had to go through one of these.
    https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Simple way out. I would just fwd email back to my insurance company and say I don’t speak their language
    I am sure they will clear it up.

Otherwise. I would not touch it with a ten foot pole.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by rokytnji.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

corsiglia

Thank you but I must apologize for the mistake : it is not a mail at all but a download from the site’s company itself.
    I tried to download it from another computer with Ubuntu 18 and it gave me the right text in french as usual. I asked the company about that and they answered that my software needs update.
    What do you think ? Thank you.
    corsiglia

Forum Admin
    BitJam
    BitJam

@corsiglia, perhaps all you need to do is set the language in your browser.

Context is worth 80 IQ points -- Alan Kay

corsiglia

Thank you all : but I have checked the language in the browser Firefox, and it is always the same language as 4 years ago : French ( or “français” precisely ).

cyrilus31
    cyrilus31

Il est où le lien? C’est quoi comme assureur?

dski

“Unreadable format” implies to me that you can’t open the file — but you would have to open it to see that it’s in an unknown language…. See what file(1) says about it. If that’s inconclusive, post the output of xxd -g1 <filename>|head (or try od(1) or hd(1) or hexdump(1) if you prefer one of those).

Dan Strychalski
    Hsinchu, Taiwan, R.O.C.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by dski.

On the Mac, Ctrl didn't exist; in Windows, Ctrl-A through Ctrl-Z did virtually nothing. From 1985 on, the choice was clear: you could get the full benefit of the most basic standard of computing, or you could use a GUI and a crippled keyboard and become this or that vendor's slave. I chose WordStar. LIVE FREE OR DIE.

corsiglia

Thank you all ! it is rather complex and in fact It is not an important point as my other computer with Ubuntu 18 works fine with that contact !
    corsiglia

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.