I need help configuring the system proxy

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions I need help configuring the system proxy

• This topic has 23 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Mar 15-7:22 pm by abc-nix.
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    chermany4ever

If what they say in this post is correct, the chip for the TP-link wireless adapter is RTL8192EU, which could work with antiX 23.1 “Modern Kernel”. When you have time to test antiX live again, try booting with the modern kernel (6.1) instead of the “legacy kernel”. And connect the repeater.

I’m downloading antiX-23.1_x64-full.iso to test this. From what you say, I think the best thing to do is keep the 19.5 version installed on the mechanical disk and antiX-23.1_x64-full ready to use it live on the pendrive and test both of them. I’ll stick with the one that gets best results.

You can also test live, apply the changes to desktop-session, log out and login and the proxy should work without installing or restarting. Also you can try connecting the phone through USB and enabling the shared connection on your android phone. It works out of the box for me.

Please explain to me, if you can, how to save live sessions not to lose changes. I don’t think it’s difficult but I don’t remember seeing anything about it last time I booted antiX-23.1. About using the phone via USB, on my phone that option appears only to use it as a modem through the cable to browse with the pc using paid data, not to repeat the home wifi. All the times I tried to use it, it didn’t work, as I told fantasIA05.

Is this with antiX 19.5 or 23.1? Use the one that works best for you, even if it uses more RAM. As long as it is responsive, it is always the better option. You can later reduce RAM use with some optimizations.

This is with antiX 19.5.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by chermany4ever.
      Xunzi_23

Seems you have an adapter which can be difficult, hopefully a newer kernel will help.

V2 model of the Wifi adapter uses RTL8192EU the original which used RTL8192CU.
        V2 has according to https://github.com/luckynzm/tlwn8200nddriver
        USB ID 2357:0126 you can check with lsusb command when the device is plugged in.

I really recommend checking in the internet before purchasing an adapter to use on linux,
        TP-Link TL-WN722N seems still to be fine in latest version, mine is already quite old
        but been very reliable.

The most reliable info I could find has been amazon reviews and pentester forums, mostly
        around kali. Unfortunately TP Link is now marketing quite a few devices which are windoze only.

abc-nix

Please explain to me, if you can, how to save live sessions not to lose changes. I don’t think it’s difficult but I don’t remember seeing anything about it last time I booted antiX-23.1.

For me the biggest feature of antiX is its live USB experience. But to enable it properly you need to create the live USB with the antiX app “Live USB Maker”. From antiX 19.5, run said program and use the antiX 23.1 ISO. It will use the full USB drive, so make sure you don’t have anything you need there (this Portuguese video may help understand better how to use the program). Once it finishes, and you boot from the live USB, you can enable persistence on the live system (more info here). If your RAM is limited, enable static persistence). Another option is to not use persistence and to remaster your system when you want to save changes (remastering is a bit slow, so be patient).

About using the phone via USB, on my phone that option appears only to use it as a modem through the cable to browse with the pc using paid data, not to repeat the home wifi.

If your phone is in Spanish, go to the Android configuration screen (Ajustes), then click on Connections (Conexión y compartir), and enable USB Tethering (Compartir conexión por USB). You need to have the phone plugged in to the computer first. Connman will detect it as a wired connection and connect directly (without the need of a proxy).

This is with antiX 19.5.

Then you can use live antiX 23.1 until you have it working to your liking. You can then decide if you want to install or keep using it as a live system.

chermany4ever

Seems you have an adapter which can be difficult, hopefully a newer kernel will help.

V2 model of the Wifi adapter uses RTL8192EU the original which used RTL8192CU.
            V2 has according to https://github.com/luckynzm/tlwn8200nddriver
            USB ID 2357:0126 you can check with lsusb command when the device is plugged in.

I really recommend checking in the internet before purchasing an adapter to use on linux,
            TP-Link TL-WN722N seems still to be fine in latest version, mine is already quite old
            but been very reliable.

The most reliable info I could find has been amazon reviews and pentester forums, mostly
            around kali. Unfortunately TP Link is now marketing quite a few devices which are windoze only.

Thanks for your good wishes Xunzi but it didn’t work. I looked at the Github page and I understand that user was able to make it work but I don’t really understand enough to know if I could. If you have any info on that I could use it. I also use the sales pages to find out about adapters by looking at other users experiences. I’ve been wanting to get this antenna for a long time because everyone said it worked great with Linux and even Windows XP, which I thought was fantastic, but I could never have imagined that they would discontinue that noble model to make a new limited one with the same name. I wrote to TP-Link technical support to let them know my dissatisfaction, but of course, monopoly.

For me the biggest feature of antiX is its live USB experience

It’s very tempting. Having 19.5 installed on a mechanical disk is cumbersome. Very slow. The live experience on the pendrive is great, it feels like an SSD. Thank you for all the information regarding how to save session. I haven’t tried it yet ’cause I’m overwhelmed with so much information and thou I love technology, this fighting against setbacks, plus looking for help, plus explaining what’s going on, plus continuing to try to solve problems, wears me down mentally and frustrates me when I don’t get results. I’m not complaining, just explaining so you’ll understand if I don’t answer for a few days. It’s just to recover mentally. I don’t want to give up. I’m thinking of using the mechanical disk for storage and I’ll probably install the latest version of antiX to use it live from the pendrive and continue testing there.

If your phone is in Spanish, go to the Android configuration screen (Ajustes), then click on Connections (Conexión y compartir), and enable USB Tethering (Compartir conexión por USB). You need to have the phone plugged in to the computer first. Connman will detect it as a wired connection and connect directly (without the need of a proxy).

On this side I have good news. I’ve had my phone in aeroplane mode for months ’cause I got tired of spam calls and I don’t use calls anymore ’cause everything is solved with networks or whtspp. Sometimes, when into the network settings of the phone, I saw this wifi hotspot button but it never worked. So this days with so much testing and touching things, decided to take out the aeroplane mode… and it works! As long as the phone is not locked in aeroplane mode it allows me to share the wifi creating a hotspot without the need for apps. So now I can connect directly to the wifi without proxies or ports. That’s why I told you I think I’m going to get rid of 19.5 -it would drive me crazy to reverse everything we did- and I’d rather start fresh with the latest version on the flash drive. We could say that, in a way, the issue that led me to open this thread would be solved by this last finding.

Then you can use live antiX 23.1 until you have it working to your liking. You can then decide if you want to install or keep using it as a live system.

I think this would be the most sensible thing to do. Thank you all very much for your help. I’m really interested in knowing if there’s a chance that the wall breaker antenna works, as I said to Xunzi, I tried booting with the latest kernel as you recommended but it doesn’t see it. Thank you very much abc-nix, I think of the help you provide and I feel touched and grateful. I’m sorry I got a bit burned out.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by chermany4ever. Reason: corrections
            PPC

I haven’t tried it yet ’cause I’m overwhelmed with so much information

Yeah. I know what it felt like, when I started using Linux and then when I jumped from Mint to antiX 16.X, I had to relearn to do stuff that was almost automatic for years, every time I changed my OS. The trick: don’t stress, you’ll get there.

On having the phone in “airplane mode” – hum… that’s not really a “computer problem”, but an “user problem”. It stands to reason that in that mode the connectivity settings should not work normally, right? Trust me, it’s almost impossible to guess that any user would think to try to use the phone to provide internet to a computer while using the phone in that mode…

On the speed of running antiX live in a fast flash-drive VS installed into a slow mechanical hard drive- I feel exactly the same. On my netbook that has what I call the slowest hard drive on Earth, running in Live mode makes most tasks much faster than when running in the installed version, so I use the installed version as my “back-up” and usually run Live on that device. I had set up persistence in the past, but not currently. It’s way easier than it sounds, and I think there are videos explaining exactly how to do that.
              A “trick” I use is using the Live USB folder to store all my documents and downloads, so it’s almost like running with persistence, except that I always run the antiX-updater every time I boot (no big deal, since usually that computer is suspended, when not in use, so I do that some 2 weeks or so, unless I really want to check for updates- I tend to do that every couple of days or so).
              If you know how to decompress and manually run binaries, or use appimages, you can save those in the Live USB folder and use them (I run seamonkey that way, on my netbook). as for “browser bookmarks”, I just copy what I want to a text file, on my Live USB folder…
              …But to as you like, at your own speed!

P.

chermany4ever

The trick: don’t stress, you’ll get there.

Thanks P. One thing is to read about the learning curve and another to go through it, lol. Everyone recommends Mint to avoid frustration but as I wanted to try something completely different from windows it doesn’t really appeal to me. I didn’t even try it.

It stands to reason that in that mode the connectivity settings should not work normally, right? Trust me, it’s almost impossible to guess that any user would think to try to use the phone to provide internet to a computer while using the phone in that mode…

I’d never have imagined it. For me it’s a meaningless limitation. One thing is the phone line network with its paid data and another thing is home connections. At least that’s how I see it. Two separate different things. So in my head I didn’t relate one thing to the other. Never thought that if I was in Airplane Mode, being able to connect to wifi, this little detail would prevent me from sharing it. The button was always grey and there was no way to activate it. When Airplane Mode was off it was still grey. Only yesterday I tried it and I was able to activate it anyway. That’s why I always thought it didn’t work, it was always grey, it never appeared visually possible that I could activate it.

Thanks again to everyone for all your help. I will try not to stress.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by chermany4ever.
                Robin

I will try not to stress.

I guess @PPC was talking about your own stress level, rather than meant to say you should not stress people here 🙂

So don’t worry, everything fine. And then:

One thing is the phone line network with its paid data and another thing is home connections. …
                  Never thought that if I was in Airplane Mode, being able to connect to wifi, this little detail would prevent me from sharing it.

So, do I understand you properly? Do you try to connect from antiX via wireless to your phone, just to access the wlan at home, rather than using it abroad for making a connection via the payed mobile internet services of your provider? Then, why don’t you make the connection directly to you home wlan, instead of the detour via your phone?

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

abc-nix

So this days with so much testing and touching things, decided to take out the aeroplane mode… and it works! As long as the phone is not locked in aeroplane mode it allows me to share the wifi creating a hotspot without the need for apps.

Make sure that it isn’t using mobile data. I cannot create a hotspot to repeat a wireless signal. It needs to use mobile data to create the hotspot (at least that is what it looks like on my phone).
                    The only way I know to connect my computer to a wireless access point using my phone, is through USB tethering.

And don’t worry about answering late or not following the thread at all. I answer questions when I have free time and I feel like it. I also sometimes don’t return to a topic or even to the forum in weeks/months, so I don’t expect anything from my answers either. To each their own time. This forum is just a portal to connect us, but our lives come first.

abc-nix

Then, why don’t you make the connection directly to you home wlan, instead of the detour via your phone?

The laptop wireless chip is probably worse than the phone wireless chip, so the connection is more stable using the phone as a signal repeater than connecting directly to the access point.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.