I tried Manjaro I3

Forum Forums General Other Distros I tried Manjaro I3

This topic contains 38 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by BobC Sep 7-8:46 am.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

I loaded Manjaro I3 to be able to install the newest IceWM from the Arch repos.

My effort is to make antiX the goto distro for IceWM. That’s why I want the newest code with the bug fixes etc.

but it’s really not mine to decide, so if I can, I help it along, and reap the benefits of it everytime I turn on my PC’s.

Every lap a little better line, a little faster, a little better time…

I successfully built icewm-1.6.1 debs for antiX-19 (and antiX-17). Just testing them out and if all is ok, we can ship antiX-19 with the latest and greatest icewm-1.6.1

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

BobC

anti, I’ve been checking for updates nightly, and will get the new IceWM running and test as soon as I see it. I haven’t had problems with it on the other distros, but mostly was just looking for fixes to problems I had found. I think its great that you are including it.

BobC

Thanks anti, I see its in the repos, so I’ll start testing tonight and over the weekend…

ModdIt

Post number #26727 September 4, 2019 at 11:08 pm from Member DGH.

Thanks and well said mister DGH.

After the useless smartass comments and Screenshit challenge to see how well he could fake a pdf with Libreoffice draw as an unwanted answer to my post for newbies on how to get (last really free version) Master PDF editor 4.3 in to AntiX I took a look around.
    Some of the posts the guy makes are maybe help to some but Plastering the site with screenshots and comments true to user name IMHO not.

Nobody is perfect but I got the same kind of feeling as you, over inflated.

Just your comments came first. If I see the name I skip the post.

masinick
    masinick

I loaded Manjaro I3 to be able to install the newest IceWM from the Arch repos.

My effort is to make antiX the goto distro for IceWM. That’s why I want the newest code with the bug fixes etc.

but it’s really not mine to decide, so if I can, I help it along, and reap the benefits of it everytime I turn on my PC’s.

Every lap a little better line, a little faster, a little better time…

I successfully built icewm-1.6.1 debs for antiX-19 (and antiX-17). Just testing them out and if all is ok, we can ship antiX-19 with the latest and greatest icewm-1.6.1

I’m really looking forward to the antiX 19 and the MX Linux 19 releases. I’ve been using the various builds of antiX 19 for quite some time. On my Dell Inspiron 5558, I’ve had excellent success over the years using both distributions. Even if there are a few defects here and there, the overall appearance, quality, and usability of both distributions are already apparent, and I happily continue to endorse these two excellent distributions every time a discussion arises. Keep up the great work and I look forward to using both of them through the testing cycles and into the release. For my relatively “simple” use cases – pretty much all I do these days is run a couple of different browsers, use either IceWM or Xfce on the desktop, and I use a terminal and a file browser in addition to the browsers. On fairly rare occasions I’ll use a few other tools. With that simple set of uses, there’s not too much that goes wrong. Nevertheless, antiX and MX Linux outperform most of the other software out there, and I notice that MX in particular is finally getting some much deserved recognition!

Those of us who really understand things realize that the underlying antiX and Debian work have plenty to do with the outcome. The main thing to know is that both of these efforts, even though they are still considered “test” releases are superior even now to the majority of commercially released products, and by that I mean they perform better, contain quality work, and even the issues are managed with excellence. Continued thanks and congratulations to everyone who makes this possible, including developers, testers, users with ideas and suggestions, along with the upstream applications that are vital to the overall success.

Brian Masinick

ModdIt

To Anti, Eugen, Bob C Manyroads, hope I didnt forget anyone offering constructive discussion,
    lot I like in this thread especially the idea of on screen shortcut display no matter which WM. I find ICEWM fits my way of doing things. During my setiing up and customising seems I was reinventing a lot of things.
    I have learned a lot by just trying to make things work which is important to keep the fossil I have to call a brain working. Antix is perfect for anyone either new to Linux or like me have been long time Linux user, break it, no problem, plug in the stick with the saved personal image, reinstall to last working state and continue.

Put this in school classes, it is a runaway because it runs on the often older hardware available and messing things up is so easy to fix.

On Manjaro, I ran it a long time, it is different, not so far from Arch and on occasion not so easy to cope with especially if you are inexperienced with the basis Arch. The premise of debian is Stability, Arch and derivatives are far more dynamic, what many call cutting edge. On commands I find Pacman very easy to use and memorise. I rarely had problems with AUR. Occasionally a packet would not build but with a little care it is a goldmine, using the available tools like yaourt which may now be deprecated easy too.

I could use i3 with practice but why. I did use or try a lot of other desktops, ICE WM seems to fit me best. Day to day working with only a touch screen no way, been there, hated it, boss said its the future, experience quickly changed his mind.
    I cheated with a bluetooth keyboard mouse combo and got shitstormed when he found out his argument He can do it why not you got broken. Funny because he walked past my desk a lot of times every day.
    Sure I use a smartphone when I have to but anyone who has to write long texts or setup calc tables will sure be slower than slow with that.

Will start testing latest ICE from Tonight. Thanks for thae info on availability.

BobC

eugen, thanks for that post with the how to.

also, i hate nagging useless pop-up help, like MS too. the paper-clip guy drove me crazy, made me want to smash the screen

but i would like it to show me the keys one time and tell me where to find it someplace later, and then stop when i click to turn it off.

would that be acceptable? if not, suggest what you think would be better?

manyroads
    manyroads

I think it is wonderful that you guys are focused on making iceWM a premier desktop in the antiX world. iceWM will certainly benefit, as will you. I am happy to share anything I have learned that might contribute… please keep the discussions open so I can see if I might be able to help. I am pretty certain others will jump in as well.

Pax vobiscum,
    Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
    bspwm MX-18.3 kernel: 5.2.15-antix.1-amd64-smp
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
    MX- antiX- BL- ArchLabs

BobC

I’m running IceWM 1.6.1 with antiX19b3 since yesterday, no problems at all to report with the new IceWM. I even got my IceWM Dynamic Desktop Apps menu with it working for .desktop files, xdg-open files and terminal apps. See other thread for that…

I have burned a DVD with antix 19b3 base 32 bit and will test on the old Pentium III with 512 mb this weekend. I ordered a USB 3.0 to IDE adapter for cheap to be able to just load an IDE drive directly from my newer systems that I can then hopefully use to load the Pentium III, which is too old to boot from USB. Installing from DVD is a time consuming task. I would remaster from most recent 19b3 code and burn a fresh DVD, but I’m afraid it would taint my test.

Thanks anti!

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by BobC.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by BobC.
Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.