IBM ThinkPad A31p – wifi trouble

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions IBM ThinkPad A31p – wifi trouble

• This topic has 92 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Jan 5-6:27 pm by Xecure.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 92 total)
  • Author
    XecureXecure

I built a very ugly snapshot (no title, no nothing), but I tested it out and it boots for me.
    Though I removed fluxbox and jwm, and added wicd, the iso is larger than the original antix 17.4.1 base i386, so it will not fit inside a CD (sorry for that).

There is an instructions file in the desktop and all relevant firmware files are stored inside the firmware folder inside the home folder.

All needed programs to make it work should be included now.

I hope this helps

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O4htKkQZBP-FpoLS4lL8hDzY1GtxIxCJ/view?usp=sharing

I think I can wait for your snapshot. However, I navigated to the Los Angele site under “antiX-17 series Packages” and located one called Contents-i386.gz. Would that be the correct distro?

Wow! Thank you!! I installed AntiX 19.3 from a DVD. I presume that will work here too?

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by BruceW.
    XecureXecure

I installed AntiX 19.3 from a DVD. I presume that will work here too?

Correct. The boot menu will be a bit ugly but I tested it out on my laptop and it boots OK to the default antiX 17 screen. You can boot it from USB or from DVD. If you have any trouble booting it, let me know and I will try to figure it out, but it should work as good as the default antiX 17.4
    I also included wicd inside the iso (it takes some time to start, but it should work on the last step of testing the wifi connection).

Any question you have, let me know. I can only hope this firmware works, as those are the only ones I was able to find on the net. If you can get it to install inside the wifi chip, you should be able to use it even if you later have to migrate to a different Linux (or BSD, who knows) distro. The upgrade would be permanent.

Let me know how it goes.

I see three links below the download for suggested programs to open or edit the file. Do I need one of those? On the DVD, I presume I need to burn an image file?

XecureXecure

I see three links below the download for suggested programs to open or edit the file.

I don’t understand what you are trying to tell me. The link is for the ISO only. You can burn the ISO with the same program as you did for the original antiX 19.3 iso, or if running in antiX with xfburn (included in antiX 19).

If you are saying something different, sorry, I didn’t get it (English is not my first language and sometimes I don’t get what is written in front of me).

All programs and files are included in the ISO, so you just need to burn it to a DVD, as you did with the original antiX 19.3, boot it and open the instruction file I added to the desktop. If there is something you don’t understand, let me know and I will try to explain as best I can.

That’s OK. You answered my question. I’m downloading it now on my windows 10 laptop. So far, so good.

Burning the image to a DVD now. Once I have it live on the A31p, should I follow the commands you listed out earlier today?

XecureXecure

There is a file with instructions as a desktop icon on the desktop. Click it and a text file will open with more concise instructions. The commands are also there, and will make it easier to follow (I hope).
    The are almost exactly the same as the ones on a previous message, but with the correct file paths. Please read the whole file first to get a general idea of what you are going to do. If there is any strange output while using the commands, let us know. If not me, someone else will probably have a general idea and explain what is going on and may be able of interpreting the strange command output.

After some moments of trying to boot, I got:

Failed to load ldlinux.c32
    Boot failed:press a key to retry…

I’ll press a key.

It starts to boot with:

ISOLINUX 6.03 6.03* ETCD Copyright (C) 1994-2014 H. Peter Anvin et al

Same result on retry.

Brian MasinickBrian Masinick

Have you tried to boot with the “Failsafe” option? If so, is there any difference?
    The Failsafe option should be in the “Advanced” boot menu.

Brian Masinick

XecureXecure

As Mr. Brian Masinick suggests, try with “Safe Video Mode” (see image below) and also use the F4 key and select “checkmd5” option just to make sure that the DVD was burned correctly (sometime the download may be incomplete or the resulting live session may be broken).

Sorry for the inconvenience.

My boot options are:

F1 to enter BIOS setup
    F11 to invoke product recovery program
    F12 to choose boot options

When I hit F12, my options are:

1. CD-ROM Drive
    2 Removable Devices
    3. Hard Drive
    4. IBA 4.0.22 Slot 0240

<Enter Setup>

Going into BIOS setup, I don’t see an option for a Safe or Failsafe boot, at least not from the DVD drive.
    Just tried hitting F11 and got the regular boot from DVD, which failed as above.

Xecure, don’t I need the full 17.4 package to get that window? Which distro at the Los Angeles site would be the correct one?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 92 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.