IBM ThinkPad A31p – wifi trouble

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions IBM ThinkPad A31p – wifi trouble

• This topic has 92 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Jan 5-6:27 pm by Xecure.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 92 total)
  • Author

Nice job BruceW and Xecure. That was an unusual problem to face. There is some weird hardware out there. Glad you got it working with antiX.

seaken64

Based on their research, the best firmware for your case is version 1.8.2, as the 1.8.4 seems to have some bugs that lead to lost packets.

Firefox seems to operate quite erratically, sometimes loading web pages but very often not. Don’t do anything at this point, as I want to do more work testing on an unsecured connection for comparison purposes. Just don’t close the thread, yet. Thank you for all you are doing!!!

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by BruceW.

Based on their research, the best firmware for your case is version 1.8.2, as the 1.8.4 seems to have some bugs that lead to lost packets.

I guess if the issue is “bugs that lead to lost packets” and if 1.8.2 is subject to the same issue, then it won’t make any difference if I’m running on a secured connection or not. Your thoughts?

XecureXecure

1.4.9 – Earlier version (1.4.2?) has some problems with PCI-based cards. The symptom is corrupted packets. If you have PCI cards, upgrade to this one. Victor report connection problems with this version. [MORE CONFIRMATION PLEASE]
    1.5.6 – This version and later ones enable hostap driver to use standard 4-address packet format for WDS packets.
    1.7.4 – No negative reports about this version so far. I have received several reports that 1.7.4 supports hiding ESSID and WPA.
    v1.8.2 – WPA works with this version.
    v1.8.4 – It seems to be latest flashable station firmware version. (Thanks to Wlfgan Krivanek and Michale Schwab). But there are reports of packet loss with this version.

You can try the same method and downgrade to 1.7.4, which should also have WPA support. (link to firmware files: http://junsun.net/linux/intersil-prism/firmware/1.7.4/)
    sf010704.hex should be the correct firmware file, but you will have to check what the command terminal output tells you:
    prism2_srec -v wlan0 sf010704.hex

At least we know that flashing works, and that the 1.8.2 firmware can connect to WPA secure connections.

I admire your persistence. You are proof that, with patience, anyone can achieve many difficult things. Hopefully we can find a version that fully works. I didn’t see any negative feedback on the site I linked above for 1.8.2, but I didn’t really research it that much, and assumed it would be good. Experience is the only thing that can help decide how good a version is.

Congratulations to both for unraveling this unusual problem.

One suggestion for BruceW, if possible please post about question and progress with this issue and thread
    in the thinkpad forum.
    You may get further information or more feedback, it could also be a big help to others with
    the same legendary long life hardware. Or early Prism Pci cards.

Thank you, Xecure. I’ll play with it a bit more this morning but, if it’s still quirky, I may downgrade to 1.7.4. I think you’ve given me enough info except, can I still use the same PK010101.HEX I already downloaded?

XecureXecure

can I still use the same PK010101.HEX I already downloaded?

I think (based on the article I linked above), that you can also choose to upgrade the station firmware on its own (as should work with the command provided above). See if there is any strange output using the -v test first so you are sure it will do it for only the station firmware without the primary firmware.

Firefox not working at all, today, even though connman says I’m connected. Proceding to 1.7.4.

XecureXecure

Memory: 493.4 MiB
    With so little RAM, better try a different browser.
    Launch the Package Installer (Control Centre > System) and install palemoon (for example). Maybe it is not the connection but the web browser is too heavy.

Firefox now working on 1.7.4, but I’ll keep your suggestion in mind. Thanks for all your research and help… And for all you’ve taught me!

I’ve signed up for the Thinkpad forum, Moddit, but I’m still waiting for the admin. I was supposed to receive an email for activation, but didn’t get one. I wrote to the administrator. These last two posts are form my Thinkpad using firmware 1.7.4.

XecureXecure

Great. If firmware 1.7.4 works, keep it.

Enjoy antiX! If there are lost to explore, so you will be busy!

Good to hear the last try worked, many thanks to Xecure and you for not giving up.

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:A31p gives a lot of info for your device.

Interesting, “if you are able to find memory modules,” is that memory can be
    increased to 1 GB officially 2GB unofficialy. that would be a really good upgrade.

Anyway enjoy antiX.

I think I have 2 1GB memory cards coming. I’ll let you know how that works.

This will be perhaps my last post to this thread. As a newbie to Linux, I must say to all other newbies, “Hang in there.” This was not a run-of-the-mill issue. Xecure went way beyond the call of duty to help me, researching the issue and finding a solution, a firmware update to my wireless card. Moddit, Brian Masinick, and others helped, too. I suspect that lots of newbies start threads and give up before resolving their issues. That must greatly frustrate those who are trying to help you. I chose to stick with it and Xecure did, too. As a result, my issue is resolved and I learned a lot in the process.

According to Wikipedia, “Throughout 2006, a ThinkPad A31p was being used in the Service Module Central Post of the International Space Station and seven ThinkPad A31p laptops were in service in orbit aboard the International Space Station.” AntiX Linux has given new life to my A31p.

As Brian mentioned in another post, there as a book, “Linux Command Line: Beginners Guide to Learn Linux Commands and Shell Scripting”, by David A. Williams, that can currently be read for free on Kindle at Amazon, or that Kindle version can be bought for $3.99. I bought a copy and plan to spend a lot of time with it.

Thank you again, Xecure and all who contributed to this thread and the solution to my WiFi connection issue. I am deeply grateful!!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 92 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.