IceWM behavior question – Mouse Right Click

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-19 “Marielle Franco” IceWM behavior question – Mouse Right Click

• This topic has 14 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Sep 19-8:41 am by olsztyn.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

I have been experiencing this problem all along but I feel there is some fix among so many IceWM behavior settings:
    Right mouse click on the IceWM desktop triggers antiX menu. However whenever there is a slightest mouse move when right clicking then instead of antiX menu a small hand with an icon image of text document appears. Each time I have to hold my hand quite steady to hold the pointer in place when right clicking in order for the antiX menu to appear.
    This issue is not critical, of course, but there must be some setting among this multitude of IceWM settings that correct this. So far I have not found such setting…
    Any help would be greatly appreciated…
    Thanks and Regards…

I think that the “small hand with an icon image of text document” arise because you use ROX or SpaceFM desktop. I use pure IceWM without any desktop, and sliding of mouse with right click pressed leads to nothing, just antiX menu doesn’t open. Maybe you should reduce mouse sensivity in mouse settings from Control Panel?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by AR.
    ileile

Hello olsztyn and AR

I get the hand grasping the text doc icon, On spacefm-fluxbox, so AR is probably correct about the action coming from spacefm (?)
    With time, this action has become not a worry, in practice;
    I wonder where are all those icons that have been dropped, where is the pile of hundreds of these icons dropped to loose it from the mouse grasp?

I think that the “small hand with an icon image of text document” arise because you use ROX or SpaceFM desktop. I use pure IceWM without any desktop, and sliding of mouse with right click pressed leads to nothing, just antiX menu doesn’t open.

Yes, indeed. Changing from SpaceIceWM to just IceWM fixed this issue. So SpaceFM is responsible for this behavior.
    Thanks.

Maybe you should reduce mouse sensivity in mouse settings from Control Panel?

You mean mouse acceleration? This did not help. But dropping SpaceFM did as noted above.
    Thanks again.

Changing from SpaceIceWM to just IceWM fixed this issue.

Jumped to conclusion without more testing…
    Sorry. Switching from Space IceWM to IceWM resulted in hand holding text doc not appearing anymore but instead menu was not appearing either when there is a slightest move of cursor in the process. Still the mouse cursor needs to be be completely still in order for menu to appear in IceWM.
    Now I may look like picky and wanting things to work perfectly, especially that I was able to live with this for some time but I feel there is some setting to make it work properly nevertheless…

You mean mouse acceleration? This did not help.

Try this method: https://www.reddit.com/r/MXLinux/comments/hfsgec/how_do_i_decrease_the_sensitivity_for_my_mouse/
    But be careful! It may not suit you “as is”. First look at “man xinput” to understand how to use this command.

Thanks AR. I will.
    Something tells me it could be related to setting in IceWM which defines at what point the move of cursor is to be interpreted as dragging, not a click.
    Also: In Space IceWM – what is the meaning of the hand holding a text document? This behavior happens on empty space of desktop, so what it intends to do? No action seems to follow on such image, whether again right clicking or left after all…
    Is it possible it is a remnant of some code that either has never been finalized or just an unintended behavior?
    Whatever it is, this issue or bug is of trivial importance to most and I do not mean to dwell on it in order to not distract from far more important issues…
    Cannot expect perfection in everything…
    Thanks and Regards…

The reddit link in the above post mentions the xinput command.
    Another available command is xset

ref:
    https://www.computerhope.com/unix/uxset.htm
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mouse_acceleration

You can adjust on-the-fly by executing the command
    xset m accelValue thresholdValue
    or
    (once you have determined the optimal values to suit your preferences) by including an xset commandstring within your session startup file

You can adjust on-the-fly by executing the command
    xset m accelValue thresholdValue

Sic et non. 😉 This command repeats mouse settings from Control Panel, which did not help topicstarter. I thought about xset by the first time too, but then found another solution. Xinput gives more of settings than xset. Anyway, thank you for the second link, that made the using of xinput clearer.

Something tells me it could be related to setting in IceWM which defines at what point the move of cursor is to be interpreted as dragging, not a click.

It seems, IceWM has none of it. There it depends only on mouse sensitivity. But you may search in internet by “mouse drag threshold” phrase. I found such option in Gnome, some of *buntu’s and Windows, but not in IceWM. Perhaps you will be more lucky.

Also: In Space IceWM – what is the meaning of the hand holding a text document? This behavior happens on empty space of desktop, so what it intends to do? No action seems to follow on such image, whether again right clicking or left after all…

This is a question where I have no answer, because in antiX I do not use any desktop at all.

olsztyn wrote:

It seems, IceWM has none of it. There it depends only on mouse sensitivity. But you may search in internet by “mouse drag threshold” phrase. I found such option in Gnome, some of *buntu’s and Windows, but not in IceWM. Perhaps you will be more lucky.

Thank you AR for still remembering and caring about this topic.
    However as I previously stated, this issue is not important enough that I would want to waste the time of antiX team. There is such parameter among IceWM multitude of settings, looking at this from the Control Center. I did not have the time to extensively test various values of that setting, so I do not know whether it would help.
    I still do believe that there must be something like that in IceWM that would make it behave as expected though:
    – SpaceFM may be responsible for appearance of that hand holding a text doc, no clue however what it means and what it is supposed to do.
    – With no ‘Space’, just IceWM, no such hand however with a slightest drag of the mouse nothing happens on the right click – no menu. Mouse pointer must be held firmly in place for the menu to appear. This is not a normal behavior. I tested this in other desktops, such as Gnome and the appropriate menu appears after release of the right mouse button after any such drag. This points me to IceWM as exhibiting this unexpected behavior.

I understand that in these times it might be difficult to find distros whose default WM is IceWM and even harder to find experts who know how to precisely configure it or to fix it, should there be such need, so such small issue might not be even worth spending the time.
    Since IceWM is an excellent choice for antiX and otherwise works very well I would just overlook such slight issue.
    Thanks and Regards…

Hi olsztyn, Maybe worth playing with these two settings in icewm preferences.

I do not experience the problem you describe although I tried to make it happen.

# Pointer motion distance before click gets interpreted as drag
    # ClickMotionDistance=4 # [0-32]

# Delay before click gets interpreted as drag
    # ClickMotionDelay=200 # [0-2000]

Thank you Moddlt.
    I did previously play with the second setting and just now with both. None seems to make any difference. I tried also some other settings but none made any difference as well.
    In addition:
    – Tried two wireless mice with different sensitivity and one wired mouse on several laptops. IceWM behavior is consistently the same.
    – As for comparison used the same mice on Fluxbox and Gnome on the same laptop. No such issue on Fluxbox or Gnome. On Fluxbox menu pops up immediately on the right click while on Gnome menu pops up when right mouse button is released. On IceWM no menu pops up if the mouse moves even slightly.

I would probably need to find somewhere detailed explanations of IceWM settings, which might be difficult to find as this multitude of settings apparently assume their meaning is well known…
    Thanks again and Regards…

I do not experience the problem you describe although I tried to make it happen.

# Pointer motion distance before click gets interpreted as drag
    # ClickMotionDistance=4 # [0-32]

# Delay before click gets interpreted as drag
    # ClickMotionDelay=200 # [0-2000]

I apologize for revisiting this thread…
    Just wanted to update on partial success. It looks like these settings in IceWM config suggested by ModdIt fixed the drag issue after all. My previous testing included modifying these values separately which did not produce any improvement. My conclusion (wrong) at that time was that neither of these settings was responsible for menu not displayed.

Now, after sufficient amount of this annoyance and having resumed searching for solution I tested various combinations of parameters and determined these two parameters set simultaneously to max practically resolve the IceWM menu issue. Now a slight right mouse drag does result in menu popping up on IceWM, as required. A longer drag still does not pop up the menu but it is not an issue.

Having resolved this issue on IceWM it still remains for me to find a solution for Space-IceWM, as these settings did not seem to improve behavior any bit for displaying menu when slight mouse drag occurs. The mysterious drag hand from ‘Space’ still appears and apparently prevents IceWM from displaying menu regardless of these drag parameters set to max.
    Being a significant for me annoyance on Space-IceWM I will be switching all may laptops to straight IceWM instead, thanks to the issue resolved there…
    Many thanks for help and patience…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.