IceWM: Has anyone tried more workspaces with automatic Edge Switching turned on?

Forum Forums General Tips and Tricks IceWM: Has anyone tried more workspaces with automatic Edge Switching turned on?

• This topic has 0 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated Jun 14-4:19 pm by BobC.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Something I noticed…

1. I can give IceWM up to 10 workspaces. To jump using the keyboard to more than four workspaces, I would need to enable what I would call jump keys in ~/.icewm/preferences
    2. I can Name each of the workspaces with up to 4 characters of text (the defalt names are 1 and 2)
    3. I can enable Edge Switching, and control the delay that triggers it, both horizontal and vertical if I wanted. I just turned on Horizontal so if I move the mouse to the left or right edge and hold it there, the workspace switches for me
    4. Once I edit the file (shown in the pic), I need to log out and back it for these setup changes to take effect

Once I log back in, if I move the mouse to the edge and hold it there for longer than the delay (default 600 ms), the workspace will automatically switch to the next workspace in that direction

If people wanted antiX to do this by default, we could include this in the antiX IceWM defaults. That isn’t up to me, but I thought I would show what it can do.

PS: While testing this out tonight I decided to increase the edge switch delay to 1.25 seconds to reduce the number of times that I would accidentally switch workspaces. This is definitely more convenient than pressing keys if you have a mouse available, and I don’t even need to unhide my taskbar because the workspace name comes up as it switches, if I needed to know what workspace I’ve moved to.

• This topic was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by BobC.
    • This topic was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by masinick. Reason: Moved to Tips and Tricks
    Attachments:
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.