IceWM Keyboard shortcuts

Forum Forums antiX-development Development IceWM Keyboard shortcuts

This topic contains 65 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by BobC Mar 3-6:57 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Hierax_ca
    Hierax_ca

I’d be happy to do further testing of IceWM on AntiX.

FWIW/FYI, I notice that there is a very recent update to IceWM now at version 1.5.1 (2019-01-05)!

https://ice-wm.org/
    https://ice-wm.org/manual/

This is newer than even the Testing/Buster repo’s 1.4.3.0~pre-20181030 version that I’ve been using with AntiX (which, in turn, is even newer than the Stable/Stretch version standard with AntiX that isn’t quite working right), I just noticed this and haven’t had a chance to look at this or the above, let alone compare them to each other, but from the website it sounds like they’ve made some changes in 1.5.x from 1.4.x that might be worth looking at while planning what to do with IceWM in the upcoming AntiX …

AntiX 17.x:
    - (32-bit): IBM Thinkpad 600X (2000), IBM NetVista X41 (2002), IBM Thinkpad A31p (2003);
    - (64-bit): Lenovo Thinkpads x61s (2008), x200 (2009), x301 (2009).

Hierax_ca
    Hierax_ca

I have all the IceWM functions that I need working on my laptop keyboard as well as external keyboard. Hierax-ca can see if I met his needs as well.

Bob, Thank You for doing this! Downloading/Copying them into text files now, will test them out …

AntiX 17.x:
    - (32-bit): IBM Thinkpad 600X (2000), IBM NetVista X41 (2002), IBM Thinkpad A31p (2003);

BobC

Mine is running on antiX 17.3, and all is working there.

I will try it on a Sid antiX soon, but don’t know if that would be the same as Buster.

skidoo

I notice that there is a very recent update to IceWM now at version 1.5.1 (2019-01-05)!

Interesting (and it’s news to me)
    icewm.org domain has expired

Someone has forked icewm, changed the project name (NOT the software name) to ice-wm https://github.com/ice-wm/icewm
    and setup a website for it at http://ice-wm.org
    -=-
    Separately, a github-hosted icewm User Manual is available.

Debian apparently hasn’t yet recognized this “under new ownership” project as an upstream source for the icewm package. So far, it looks like only Gentoo, and Mageia are utilizing “1.5x branch” icewm.

Skimming the commitlog entries, I did notice updated documentation regarding actions and keybinds.

BobC

My wife was kind enough to donate her Logitech multi-media keyboard to my testing treasure trove.

If preliminary Buster code is available, tell me where, please?

Hierax_ca
    Hierax_ca

I get Buster by choosing the Debian Testing instead of Stable Repo when installing AntiX and doing a few dist-upgrades (it’s almost here, first freeze was this week, so it’s actually fairly stable and a good preview of what may well come).

So far, I’ve been testing your WinGrid and at first I thought there was a few minor things wrong when I was using it on a laptop (Thinkpad x61s) with an external USB NumberPad, but I think something is wrong with it’s hardware; so now I’m testing it on a full desktop keyboard (on a NetVista x41) with a proper Numeric KeyPad and it is working just fine! However, that said, in the keys file I added in entries using the regular number keys matching the numerals on the KeyPad for laptops without Numeric KeyPads and both seem to be working:

key "Ctrl+Alt+KP_Left" wingrid-left.sh
    key "Ctrl+4" wingrid-left.sh # keyboard same number
    key "Ctrl+Alt+KP_Right" wingrid-right.sh
    key "Ctrl+6" wingrid-right.sh # keyboard same number
    key "Ctrl+Alt+KP_Up" wingrid-top.sh
    key "Ctrl+8" wingrid-top.sh # keyboard same number
    key "Ctrl+Alt+KP_Down" wingrid-bottom.sh
    key "Ctrl+2" wingrid-bottom.sh # keyboard same number
    key "Ctrl+Alt+KP_Home" wingrid-topleft.sh
    key "Ctrl+7" wingrid-topleft.sh # keyboard same number
    key "Ctrl+Alt+KP_Prior" wingrid-topright.sh
    key "Ctrl+9" wingrid-topright.sh # keyboard same number
    key "Ctrl+Alt+KP_End" wingrid-bottomleft.sh
    key "Ctrl+1" wingrid-bottomleft.sh # keyboard same number
    key "Ctrl+Alt+KP_Next" wingrid-bottomright.sh
    key "Ctrl+3" wingrid-bottomright.sh # keyboard same number
    key "Ctrl+Alt+KP_Insert" wingrid-maximize.sh
    key "Ctrl+0" wingrid-maximize.sh # keyboard same number
    key "Ctrl+Alt+KP_Begin" wingrid-centerzoom.sh
    key "Ctrl+5" wingrid-centerzoom.sh # keyboard same number

I guess another alternative is to use the old antiX key number assignments for these but for me better to use the same numbers.

More feedback as I find time to test more…

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Hierax_ca.

AntiX 17.x:

BobC

I see. Yes, without a numeric keypad, a navigation rose is not going to be normal I don’t think. There is no reason it couldn’t be both. I love it for multitasking.

I didn’t know testing was buster. What version of IceWM does it have? I will try it on my next reload both stock and modified (ie with all my added packages and dotfiles).

skidoo

I didn’t know testing was buster. What version of IceWM does it have?

You can easily discover the answer yourself, by visiting https://www.debian.org/distrib/packages#search_packages

bonus info:
    You can get a bird’s eye view of which versions of a package (sometimes, pkg name will differ)
    are available from which repositories, across a variety of distributions.
    pkgs.org and repology.org

^— was a huge disappointment when I checked and discovered that Void Linux does NOT have cherrytree, does NOT have spaceFM…

Hierax_ca
    Hierax_ca

My antiX 17.x Testing/Buster installs are currently using IceWM 1.4.3.0~pre-20181030

Further testing on 2 systems (Thinkpad x61s laptop and NetVista x41 desktop) shows that most of the shortcuts work, but there’s still a few that don’t work:

– the Ctrl-Alt-Keypad w/Numlock Off 1 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 fails to Move/Resize Window

– Ctrl+Shift+c Cascade windows doesn’t seem to do anything

– Ctrl+Alt+l lock screen

– Ctrl+Alt+NumLock Mute Volume (worked on laptop with USB Numeric Keypad but failed on Regular Desktop Keyboard)

– Ctrl+Alt+Keypad / Volume Down (fails on both)

– Ctrl+Alt+Keypad * Volume Up (worked on laptop with USB Numeric Keypad but failed on Regular Desktop Keyboard)

– Ctrl+Shift+t root terminal desktop-defaults-run -r -t

– Ctrl+Shift+p root htop desktop-defaults-run -r -t -htop

– Ctrl+Shift+f root filemanager desktop-defaults-run -r -fm

– Ctrl+Shift+v KeySysTileVertical

– Ctrl+Shift+h KeySysTileHorizonal

– Ctrl+Shift+c KeySysCascade

– Alt+Shift+F8 KeySysArrangeIcons

I think I went through every key combo shortcut in both the keys and preferences file in the files on both computers.

AntiX 17.x:

BobC

Was it my preferences and keys files not working or the ones that came with “testing/buster”?

Hierax_ca
    Hierax_ca

your files.

AntiX 17.x:

BobC

That’s very sad. I’ll try it on mine too, and if they still work on mine it means my machines don’t act the same, so no point in me trying to do anything other than for just my own use.

Hierax_ca
    Hierax_ca

Don’t be sad, most of it works, Testing hasn’t been finalized yet, and some things may have changed between the versions making incompatibilities with the Testing version that don’t exist with the Stable version; so, there is still hope to get it all working, it just might need to be a bit different on the new version, if you’ve got it 100% for Stretch Stable that’s awesome! More work can be done as and after Testing becomes more finalized into Buster (it’s still months off), it’s called “Testing” for a reason.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Hierax_ca.

AntiX 17.x:

BobC

There are multiple issues. Some I turned off intentionally.

Are you saying that you really want to use those functions on those keys?

Hierax_ca
    Hierax_ca

No, I was just going through every keyboard shortcut combo in the files to test and see what worked and what didn’t. Personally, it is the wingrid and workspace ones that I am most interested in.

AntiX 17.x:

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.