IceWM Keyboard shortcuts

Forum Forums antiX-development Development IceWM Keyboard shortcuts

This topic contains 65 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by BobC Mar 3-6:57 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    BobC

Coming back to this one now that I have my system able to migrate between machines…

2, 3, 4. I changed the Ctrl-number keys to match the numbers used by FluxBox in my setup (so if people change desktops the keys work the same), so it now has both WinGrid on the numeric keypad rose as well as on the Ctrl-number keys.

5. For window resizing and moving, someone told me how to do it. You put the window into resize (Alt-F8) or move (Alt-F7) mode, then press and hold the Ctrl key while pressing the arrow keys, and when done, press enter

6. Is pretty tricky. You are saying shuffle all windows clockwise or counterclockwise if I read it right. That is beyond my ability and I see too many potential problems with it, in addition to how tricky the code would get. Think about if they hadn’t used WinGrid to position the windows they could be any size or position, so how would I decide to rotate them and would it make any sense or be useful when I was done?

I’ll have to try the Buster setup again and try to get everything implemented and working happily there.

skidoo

For #5, I coach the usage right-mouse-button and drag + Alt key
    AFAIK, that is effective with any window manager.

For #6, instead of “shuffle” maybe you mean “cascade”. If so, didn’t you already write a script to achieve this? Maybe it was written to target Xfce, but its “logic” is probably applicable to use under iceWM as well.

BobC

I had the impression Hierax_ca is trying to work it without using the mouse, but I could be wrong.

IceWM has a built in Cascade option, but I prefer 4 quadrants and maybe a center zoom window. Many of my windows are full screen unless I am copying and pasting from one to another, in which case I use the WinGrid to move them to quadrants, and most of the time I use the trackpad mouse if I can. If I get too many windows going and really need them, reorganize the desktop by moving some to different workspaces based on which I will use together.

One thing that could be done, but not easily would be to calculate what window already exists in the area you want to move the window to, and swap that window for the active one. It might work for quadrants, but if the windows were not quadrant sized, it would get tricky to code because that is going to happen.

I wrote 2 WinGrid-like functions for this to replace builtin IceWM functions that only allowed a single key mapping because they were in preferences not keys, and the Center-Zoom which is something new/different that I had written as a Brief macro for my PC in the late 80’s under DOS before windows came along.

The new IceWM comes with much nicer keyboard mapping, so maybe the default keyboard shortcuts help will no longer be needed. That would save needing to create, store and display files in other languages.

Hierax_ca, if you can sell us on the concept of what you were asking for in #6 in terms of what will it do to make the desktop better for people, and any example of something like it that already exists, or if not, then maybe a video with voice or text explanation of you doing manually what you are asking for the program to do automatically for you…

I found this for XFCE. I downloaded the code and will see what it does.

# winfuncs.sh – Tile, Cascade, Expose’ Windows, etc
    # https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=6841
    # 2012-02-24 22:00:28
    # by caibbor
    # I created this bash scripts to make up for some features I wished XFCE had. these scripts should theoretically work with several window/desktop managers. the only requirements for these is wmctrl, xwininfo and xdotool.
    # update: I’ve merged the two scripts and they should run a tad faster.
    # I’m still looking for a way to re-maximize windows after the “window select” function.
    # I’m also still looking for a way to determine what windows are non-resizable by the user so that the script doesn’t resize them, either (currently, it does)

# usage

# ./winfuncs.sh select # arrange windows in a tiled manner, click on one to have it brought forward, all windows return to previous positions/sizes (suggested xbindkeys combo: Mod4 + Tab)

# ./winfuncs.sh tile # tile all windows on screen (suggested xbindkeys combo: Mod4 + t)

# ./winfuncs.sh tiletwo # after running this, click two windows. they will tile side-by-side. (suggested xbindkeys combo: Mod4 + c:23) (c:23 is the ‘2’ key)

# ./winfuncs.sh cascade

# ./winfuncs.sh showdesktop

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by BobC.
    BobC

Anti or Skidoo,

I found the github page https://github.com/antiX-Linux/desktop-defaults-icewm but the files there are originally from 1.2 and being used for 1.38 which is what seems to be on the site. Where are the equivalent files for the Buster release?

skidoo

BobC, although I do try to “pay attention” and “pass along links/info”, I’m not a developer, just a wannabe-helpful (and sometimes loudmouth) contributor / peer.

From paying attention, I can tell ya that just about any “github” link related to antiX is outdated.
    Swapping “gitlab” into the URL you posted,
    we can notice that some of the files there have been updated as recently as 2 weeks ago
    https://gitlab.com/antiX-Linux/desktop-defaults-icewm

BobC

Skidoo, thanks, yes, those files match what installed under Buster. I’ve never done any github or gitlab changes, just posted issues, so it looks like there is some learning overhead beyond fixing or improving the setups. Thankfully, I have no complaints or problems with IceWM itself and find it quite functional and stable, so all I’m hoping for is to make a few tweaks to the setups that will make it even better to use.

I wonder if anyone has fully utilized the 1.43 version? I’ll have to investigate if any other distros have got tuned implementations of it. I see the preferences file that comes with it is 10 times the size of antiX’s, and wonder what features were added, and if there are features people would like to have in antiX, too?

skidoo

investigate if any other distros have got tuned implementations of it

Wow, some distros are shown as having 1.5.x versions of iceWM in use
    https://repology.org/project/icewm/versions
    https://pkgs.org/download/icewm

BobC

Thanks for the links…

Gentoo looks almost impossible to install, itself, let alone get IceWM loaded on it.

I think Arch had a very basic setup before.
    Manjaro had nothing but what came from Arch before in 2014 or so, and I created the only IceWM based Manjaro that I know of, so its not likely to be tuned at all. The SystemD stuff made it memory inefficient.

I think I will try Mageia and OpenSuse. Both have 1.5.2. OpenSuse is mentioned on the IceWM page. It seems like the best candidate.

I wonder why Debian is at 1.4.3 on Testing where the others are at 1.5.2? I’m guessing it has to do with the change of maintainers for the base IceWM itself. It bothers me to put the effort into 1.4.3 but hopefully everything I do will work on 1.5.2.

skidoo

I wonder why Debian is at 1.4.3 on Testing where the others are at 1.5.2?

Eduard Bloch is listed as debian’s package maintainer for iceWM.
    That’s who could definitiely anwser.
    His email is listed on this page .

skidoo

I wonder why Debian is at 1.4.3 on Testing where the others are at 1.5.2?

Eduard Bloch is listed as debian’s package maintainer for iceWM.
    That’s who could definitively anwser.
    His email is listed on this page https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=blade%40debian.org

BobC

I wrote him a nice email thanking him for his Excellent efforts and asking if he would be working on 1.5.2 after Buster is out…

BobC

OpenSuse 15.1 Leap Beta is a dud as far as IceWM is concerned. It did work, and didn’t look terrible other than the menu font, but it took quite a while to download, make a flashdrive, install, and get IceWM on the screen, and to be honest, this looks better. BTW, it is IceWM 1.4.2 not 1.5.2.

Oh well… I will look at the key mapping, I guess…

BobC

Mageia 7.1b2 has IceWM 1.5.2 but there are some buggy things going on with moving windows and closing them. As far as the configurations the only thing different is that some multimedia keys are defined. Other than that its pretty plain. I think we could do a lot better with 1.4.3, which seems stable and the features looked the same.

BobC

I installed the Debian Buster XFCE flavor from late January, added IceWM to it, and changed the session manager to it, and it works. I will try configuring it to have all the keys and features I like and then port that to antiX Buster. It comes with options to control the preferences, but not the keys file.

One odd thing on the Debian Buster machine… If you google “antixforum” icewm keyboard shortcuts 2019 no posts from antixforum come up…

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by BobC.
    Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

For forum search. I just use the search button in the r/h pabel on this forum site.

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/search/keyboard+shortcuts/

Google search control in Debian Buster? Out of my pay grade skill set.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.