IceWM Keyboard shortcuts

Forum Forums antiX-development Development IceWM Keyboard shortcuts

This topic contains 65 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by BobC Mar 3-6:57 pm.

Viewing 6 posts - 61 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

For forum search. I just use the search button in the r/h pabel on this forum site.

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/search/keyboard+shortcuts/

Google search control in Debian Buster? Out of my pay grade skill set.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

For forum search. I just use the search button in the r/h pabel on this forum site.

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/search/keyboard+shortcuts/

Google search control in Debian Buster? Out of my pay grade skill set.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

skidoo

If you google “antixforum” icewm keyboard shortcuts 2019 no posts from antixforum come up

just letting you know I get the same result here (well search found ONE result) and this isn’t a buster system.

BobC

IceWM on buster is good. It reminds me of on testing with antiX. One thing I really like about it is the default theme, which is better than my favorite metal2, more up to date looking, because it lacks the fake perforated aluminium borders.

It has ALL kinds of configuration options for preferences, everything under the sun…

but absolutely NONE for keys… I wouldn’t have thought it would be that difficult, but what do I know.

This upset me, and so I ventured out to find IceMe and IceWMControlPanel-3.2 which have keyboard mapping programs.

The python in the tutorials is all great, but everytime I find older python code I fall down rabbit hole after rabbit hole of errors, and end up nowhere at all. It all seems to die from the get go with many things being imported failing, and believe it or not, the web didn’t help. T

The IceMe code is much less complex, but was a total failure with errors on the imports. I get the impression that because its so old, things aren’t named the same or have different attributes, and I don’t know how to correct them.

The IceWMControlPanel is wildly complex. I can’t imagine figuring that one out.

You would think Linux would have a generic keyboard mapper GUI.

I did find a gem of an app called xfce4-appfinder, which I replace j4-desktop-dmenu with on Ctrl-Space. Its great for getting to applications without needing to click through a maze of menus. I left dmenu on Ctrl-Alt-Space. The xfce4-appfinder is a much much better program and had a pretty small footprint.

Anyway. I’ll probably just install the testing version of IceWM on my main antiX system and play with it here because its more convenient, and then take the results back to the testing system when I think its all good in the end.

PS: it looks like a bunch of other packages need to upgrade as well, so I guess I need to leave the main system alone.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by BobC.
    BobC

Hmmmm, That was nice of someone to write a program called add-key. They really read my mind on that. It automatically pulls in the keys file and saves your changes there too. Pretty cool that. You just have to click on “No line Selected” to get the list to pop up.

BobC

I did a 3 way exercise where I have 3 PC’s one on antiX 17.3.1, one on antiX 17.3.1 testing, and one on Debian Testing, all with their respective versions of IceWM. The Debian one was quite instructive, and I ended up taking the antiX testing one and adjusting it with what I learned from the Debian install, basically trying to keep it consistent, and just fix the problems and add the other features. Anyway, the end result is a reasonable improvement over the stock versions.

I don’t think my 3 wingrid programs are worth adding, since key remapping by the user will be easy

I don’t think winfuncs has anything better than IceWM, so would ship that also

WINFUNCS:
    I found a good description of the Winfuncs at http://lxlinux.com/openbox.html . I am not into tiled screens, so its not for me, but let me know if any of its functions are wanted, and what key(s) it would make sense to map them to:

Winfuncs Tiler for Openbox

There are several programs that can help organize (tile) the open windows in Openbox. One is pytyle, which is described at the end of After Installing Openbox; another is x-tile. However, my favorite is a simple script, which in various forms has been floating around the forums for quite awhile. It is called Winfuncs and can be downloaded from this website using wget:

wget http://lxlinux.com/winfuncs .

Winfuncs requires that xdotool, x11-utils, wmctrl and xautoclock, all small programs, be installed. It offers the user 5 tiling modes: tile, cascade, tiletwo, select and showdesktop. Put winfuncs in /usr/local/ bin/ (on the path) and make it executable. The commands to launch the 5 modes are
    winfuncs “tile”
    winfuncs “cascade”
    winfuncs “tiletwo”
    winfuncs “select”
    winfuncs “showdesktop”.
    Tile divides the desktop into an even number of equal parts and places a different open window in each part, and leaves one part empty if the number of open windows is odd. See tiled. Cascade stacks the open windows in the upper-left corner of the screen as illustrated in image 5 below. Tiletwo changes the cursor to a selector, so that clicking any two windows will make them share equally the desktop. Select will tile the windows and change the cursor to a selector, so that clicking any one of the windows will enlarge and bring that window to the top while stacking the remaining windows. Showdesktop will iconofy all open windows to the taskbar and leave the desktop empty.

Not sure how to go forward with it from here. If possible I would like to see my setups included in the next antiX version. If not, I have my backup and deployment solution working now, now so its no big deal for me to redeploy on another machine if needed.

Reccomended changes/fixes to the stock antiX Buster version as follows:
    Fixed WinArrange so it works
    Fixed volume so it works
    Added the screen resolution maint to the main menu
    Added the switch on Win+p
    Added the add-key utility to the main menu
    Added the antixscreenshot on the Print key (same as MX)
    Show 4 desktops, pagers and system monitors in the tray like Debian
    Added click on clock for calcurse
    Added the more common of the multimedia keys (combined from all my keyboards)
    Added dmenu on Ctrl+Space (I think it is on Ctrl+Alt+p in Fluxbox setup, but I don’t understand why)
    Added xfce4-appfinder on Alt+F3 (same as MX)

All code and setups is done and tested. Tell me how you want the code/setup changes sent or posted, please.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by BobC. Reason: cleaned up and added details
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by BobC.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by BobC.
Viewing 6 posts - 61 through 66 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.