IceWM missing from Desktop|Other Desktops Menu

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-19 “Marielle Franco” IceWM missing from Desktop|Other Desktops Menu

Tagged: 

• This topic has 32 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated May 28-11:44 am by frogprince.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author

I’ve been trying the different desktops in antiX-19. I was going to go back to my favorite of IceWM today but when I went to select it from the Other Desktops menu it is not on the list. I am using JWM now, and it is quite nice, but I would like to get IceWM back.

I went into Synaptics and reinstalled the IceWM antiX desktop package. The I logged out and back in. Still don’t have IceWM as choice on the menu. How can I get IceWM started?

Seaken64

Just after I typed this I remembered the F1 key on the Login screen. I logged out and tried that. I was able to select IceWM using the F1 key. But even after I boot into IceWM the IceWM choices do not show on the Desktops menu. Weird.

Seaken64

Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

What exactly did you remove and reinstall?

Try apt-get install --reinstall desktop-session-antix

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

I didn’t remove anything. But I did try to reinstall the desktop-session-antix package using synaptic. It did not make a difference. I am not near that machine today but I will try the command line when I get home. I might also try the update menu routine.

Seaken64

masinickmasinick

I have seen this before too, though not recently.

I’ll try a few scenarios and see if I can replicate the behavior.

Brian Masinick

I’ve been trying the different desktops in antiX-19. I was going to go back to my favorite of IceWM today but when I went to select it from the Other Desktops menu it is not on the list. I am using JWM now, and it is quite nice, but I would like to get IceWM back.

I experienced the same behavior before and reported, I think before final 19. Since I am using Space Fluxbox it was not affecting me so basically forgot that issue.
    In result of this your message I checked now on desktops menu out of curiosity and IceWM is nowhere to be found on the list…
    Looks like the original issue persists…

masinickmasinick

I have two images of antiX installed, the Full version, now updated to 19.1 with current packages, as of today, antiX 19.1 with runit.

A couple of things:
    1. Without modifying anything, initially I am only able to login with IceWM.

2. If I select an option (once logged in) to use another window manager, it works, but then I no longer see IceWM as a choice, either with Slim or in the option to choose another window manager.

3. I have to edit a couple of files in order to be able to access IceWM once again. One of the files has desktop in the name. I’ll have to replicate the issues again for the exact specific details.

Brian Masinick

manyroadsmanyroads

Along those lines, I’ve noticed the root password is now ‘demo’ and I, also, get two application menus from the desktop menu….

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by manyroads.

Pax vobiscum,
    Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
    MX-19 kernel: 5.2.21-antix.1-amd64-smp
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
    MX- antiX- bspwm, hlwm, xfce4

When I got home I tried anti’s directions at the command line. It worked! The IceWM choices are back on the menu. It did not work when I did it from synaptic but it worked tonight when I used the command line. After running the command I logged out/in.

Seaken64

masinickmasinick

I confirm that after running the commands:

sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get install –reinstall desktop-session-antix

I can switch back and forth between IceWM and other window managers – and see all of them in the appropriate lists.
    Issue resolved after reinstalling desktop-session-antix

Brian Masinick

GirafenaineGirafenaine

Hello,

Thanks for the method which worked for me as well, with the same issue : no more icewm in “other-desktops” menu. I met the same issue a few months ago with Antix 17.3, and now with Antix 19. It seems like a bug. It seems to occur when you change your desktop with this other-desktops menu, as if it rebuilds itself… in a bad way.

The desktop-session-antix reinstall works, but you should not need to reinstall it.

Girafenaine

Girafenaine
    ----
    Antix 19, Live USB stick / Manjaro XFCE (Dell XPS 7590) / MX Linux 19 (various PC)

Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

Yes it is a bug and we are working on a fix.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

ximruximru

Fix worked for me also. I seem to remember it first happened when I installed updates that included icewm 1.5 to icewm 1.6
    (Did same thing when i updated live system as a test)
    Also have an issue with wallpaper not setting and long wait while switching themes (1 minute to apply icewm theme change)

Forum Admin
    DaveDave

For others who may see this issue could they try running as root (note that the force option is a double dash)
    /usr/local/lib/desktop-session/desktop-session-update-wm-menus –force
    Before reinstalling desktop-session-antix to see if this works or what errors may appear?

If no errors show and the menu is still not fixed after reloading the window manager/menu could you try the same command but run as the regular user?

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

This problem arosen again when I upgraded to icewm_1.6.5-1.0antix2.
    And neither apt-get install --reinstall desktop-session-antix, nor /usr/local/lib/desktop-session/desktop-session-update-wm-menus --force doesn’t help.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by AR.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.