IceWM Workspaces – Move Window to Workspace to and Launch Window in Workspace

Forum Forums General Software IceWM Workspaces – Move Window to Workspace to and Launch Window in Workspace

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Hierax_ca Oct 10-4:58 pm.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Hierax_ca
    Hierax_ca

I’m trying to do more with WorkSpaces in IceWM and am trying to better understand the system using the configuration files but am having trouble getting this to work:

I’d like to be able to Move an Application/Window from one WorkSpace to another. This can be done with the mouse by Right Clicking on the Window and choosing “Move To”. However, from the preferences config file, it looks like Ctrl+Alt+Shift+WorkSpace# should do this but it doesn’t do it by default, so how do I get that to work in the “keys” configuration file? (preferences has it as KeySysWorkspace#TakeWin=”Alt+Ctrl+Shift+#”). Basically, this looks like the same as changing the focus to Workspace which works fine in “keys” (key Ctrl+Alt+# workspace#) # but just adding the “Shift”, but what is the difference in the syntax between the prefs and keys files needed to do this? How does KeySys relate to key and Workspace#TakeWin related to workspace#?

I’d also like to be able to launch a specific Application/Window in a specific Workspace. Somewhere I read that in the “winoptions” config file, it could be done with “_application_.workspace: #” (e.g., palemoon.workspace: 2). Likewise, also for “winoptions” getting an Application/Window to open Maximized could be done with “_application_.startMaximized:1”.

Any tips on how to do these 2 things?

AntiX 17.2.x -- Buster/Testing -- Space-IceWM (32-bit) :
    - Core - IBM Thinkpad 600X (2000);
    - Base - IBM Thinkpad A31p (2003), IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad T60p (2006).

Hierax_ca
    Hierax_ca

Another way of asking this: What command is invoked by the mouse when right clicking on the window and choosing “Move To”? Where can I see the code for this pop-up menu to copy and try in the .icewm/keys file?

Hierax_ca
    Hierax_ca

I did some further testing:

With AntiX 17.x the Move an Application/Window to Workspace (Alt+Ctrl+Shift+#) works properly with Debian 10 Testing/Buster which has ICEWM 1.4.3~pre20180822 but it does not work with Debian 9 Stable/Stretch which uses IceWM 1.4.2. (also, for comparison, it doesn’t work correctly with antiX 13.2 Debian 7/Wheezy with IceWM 1.3.7 or antiX 16.2 Debian 8/Jessie with IceWM 1.3.8).

So, is there a way to fix this with Debian 9 Stable/Stretch or could the newer version of IceWM be added to the repository/package installer?

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

What happens if you just install/upgrade icewm onto antiX-17.x from Debian testing?
    Does it break anything?

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Hierax_ca
    Hierax_ca

Ok, I tried it on my fully updated/upgraded 17.1 and only upgraded the icewm packages (Synaptic, changed repositories from stretch to testing, refreshed, installed/upgraded icewm and icewm-common 1.4.3… and dependencies, changed repositories back, refreshed, reloaded icewm, brief black screen, had to re-login, looked ok, rebooted to make sure)

It doesn’t look like it broke anything, but it doesn’t look or function any differently than before either.

So, I guess, it isn’t as simple as the icewm package itself…

The strange thing is that functionality is there because the right-click menu from the window title bar gives the “Move To” option which works perfectly, it’s just the keyboard shortcut that doesn’t (and the key strokes are even listed in the right-click menu), so somehow this menu is sending a different command than the keyboard shortcut.

Hierax_ca
    Hierax_ca

tried fully updating/upgrading the system to testing/buster but that destroyed things.

did a full re-install choosing the testing/buster repos right from the start and the Ctrl+Alt+Shift+# properly moves the Application/Window to the proper Workspace # as expected.

Maybe not worth doing much about this for antiX 17.x but I’d like to volunteer to help test the IceWM functions like this for antiX 18 to get them working correctly.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.