Icons do not appear on my desktop

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-17 “Heather Heyer” Icons do not appear on my desktop

• This topic has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Mar 4-1:05 am by Xecure.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    rolandroland

I populated my desktop folder with the required .desktop icons copied from / usr / share / applications but the only 2 that appear are the files and help icons which are already present following the install. Any suggestions please ?

Attachments:
    1. Full_info.pdf
    armandoarmando

Try drag and drop.
    If you already have the icon on the Desktop folder, open the Desktop folder select them and drag them to the Desktop.

Forum Admin
    rokytnjirokytnji

Are you using rox or spacefm desktop? You inxi readout does not say anything but icewm version.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

XecureXecure

I populated my desktop folder with the required .desktop icons copied from / usr / share / applications

Meaning “I copied .desktop files to my ~/desktop folder”
    antiX OS comes with 2 file managers that can manage your “desktop icons”:
    1. ROX – Does not display files in your ~/desktop folder, but instead it stores “links”. The only way to modify your desktop icons in rox-icewm is dragging the “file” to the desktop (not the folder), which creates a link to said file (does not store a copy in ~/desktop folder).
    2. SpaceFM – DOES manage the desktop as a folder. All files in your ~/desktop folder will be displayed on your desktop. Switch your desktop to space-icewm if you want this behavior.

When in doubt, first read documentation. you would have avoided waiting so long for an answer.

rolandroland

Thanks for all responses. I have no experience of Rox having always used the icewm / spaceFM desktop environment, but since release 13.1 Luddite I have put icons on the desktop by copying them from / usr / share / applications and never had this problem before, I have the same release 17.4.1 running on a PC with conventional equipment and have populated the desktop as described with no trouble. However this is a modern laptop with a very oblong display, boyond my previous experience, not an ancient PC. I tried a drag and drop but it returns a permissions error and refuses the overwrite, as one would expect. Also I cannot persuade spaceFM to occupy less than full screen so cannot drop onto the desktop itself, only onto the desktop folder, which it refuses. I suspect some limitation related to the hardware,

XecureXecure

Are you using an imported /home folder (with all configuration set from your desktop) or does this happen with a completely new/default system?

However this is a modern laptop with a very oblong display, boyond my previous experience, not an ancient PC. I tried a drag and drop but it returns a permissions error and refuses the overwrite, as one would expect. Also I cannot persuade spaceFM to occupy less than full screen so cannot drop onto the desktop itself, only onto the desktop folder, which it refuses. I suspect some limitation related to the hardware,

It probably has nothing to do, but you could try updating the kernel to 4.19 and hope this helps with your other hardware compatibility problems.

rolandroland

It is a completely new system and kept right up to date. Nothing has been copied from other working systems. I have 3 desktop PCs 64-bit AMD and do this desktop setup procedure all the time to set up my preferred desktop. I installed kernel 4.19 but no change they still do not appear. I do not regard it as a serious problem, a mild usability annoyance at worst. Maybe I should be thinking about moving up to release 19? Thanks for the responses.

XecureXecure

Sorry for not being of much help.
    You could first check that the files are being moved to your Desktop home folder and not a different folder
    ls ~/Desktop
    It should show all your .desktop files you have manually moved listed there.

You may try to see if there is a problem with spacefm desktop manager first stopping it and then starting it up again:

killall spacefm
    spacefm --desktop &

I really have no idea how to help. Let us know if you later discover a solution.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.