Ideas for improvements in future releases

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-19 “Marielle Franco, Hannie Schaft, Manolis Glezos” Ideas for improvements in future releases

Tagged: 

• This topic has 161 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated Feb 5-2:12 pm by marcelocripe.
Viewing 12 posts - 151 through 162 (of 162 total)
  • Author

@dortega If I remember rightly below fixed a language issue after install

apt-get install language-pack-de (change from de to needs)
    dpkg-reconfigure locales

Following dortega’s post:
    I agree with all that was said about the “good stuff” with the exception of the (first layer of the) not being overcrowed… It’s it’s a matter of personal taste and the way each brain processes information…

About the suggestions:
    1 and 3- Yes, I agree- I even wrote a tiny “welcome screen/ Control Panel” (search for welcome screen here in the forum) that presents the most used sections of the Control Centre in a more human readable layout, with helpful tootips- but the Dev team shot that idea down
    4- About the Workspace switching- yes, I’ve been there, same for most antiX Fluxbox users, I guess, It’s not very intuitive but you can turn that behavior off in fluxbox’s “keys” file, commenting out these 2 lines:

OnDesktop Mouse4 :PrevWorkspace
    OnDesktop Mouse5 :NextWorkspace

5- There’s probably a workaround that, something like changing the locale and restarting, or something similar..
    EDIT; Moddit “nijaed” me on this one, with a far better advice
    6- Agreed, Some stuff comes up on Google searches, most does not…

P.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by PPC.

On a core system without X11, aptitude is still available.

Brian MasinickBrian Masinick

On a core system without X11, aptitude is still available.

Yes, aptitude, apt, apt-get, and the lower level dpkg package programs are available. I personally use apt or apt-get for most of my package management and they have never been missing on a functional system, regardless of which antiX version is used.

Brian Masinick

Also if you switch to the root (system management) user when you are updating your system, from root type the command alias and you can see several package command aliases for running apt-get update, apt-get dist-upgrade, etc.

Brian Masinick

Example: after switching to root, these package alias commands are provided:

root@antix-alpha:/home/masinick# alias
    alias aa='apt autoremove'
    alias ac='apt clean'
    alias ad='apt dist-upgrade -V'
    alias ag='apt-get update;apt-get dist-upgrade'
    alias aga='apt-get autoremove'
    alias agc='apt-get clean'
    alias agd='apt-get dist-upgrade'
    alias agu='apt-get update'
    alias au='apt update'
    alias aud='apt update;apt dist-upgrade -V'

Even from my user account, I can see these aliases:

The first four require you to have root access:

alias agd='apt-get dist-upgrade'
    alias agu='apt-get update'
    alias au='apt update'
    alias aud='apt update;apt dist-upgrade -V'

I created these additional aliases that I can run from my own user account with sudo access:

alias inst='sudo apt-get update;sudo apt-get install $@'
    alias ug='sudo apt-get update;sudo apt-get dist-upgrade'
    alias ugb='sudo apt-get update;sudo apt-get dist-upgrade;sudo update-grub'
    alias ur='sudo apt-get autoremove'

Either way, there are a lot of possible ways to maintain your own system. I usually use the last four; I use inst to install one or two packages. I use ug to do a typical upgrade. I use ugb;ur to do a system upgrade and autoremove any packages that are not needed anymore, plus update the boot loader.

Find something that works for you; synaptic can be installed if you do not already have it installed and that is a graphical way to manage your system. I use that sometimes; it’s easy to locate packages, but on a regular basis I just use the aliases I set up since they met my own personal needs. Choose a way, or try them all and then decide what you understand or what is most convenient for your own use.

Brian Masinick

KooKoo

Nice alias list. Thanks Brian

T430 i7-3632QM 16gb , antiX-19.2.1-runit_x64-base Hannie Schaft 29 March 2020 , 5.8.16-antix.1-amd64-smp

Nice alias list. Thanks Brian

Half of those come from anticapitalista, though I think that I had a few of my own before I noticed the ones he put together.
    Aliases, especially one to three letter aliases, are great ways to do almost anything that you do often.

Make up your own for commands that you like to run, and you may find yourself using the command line interface (CLI) more and more often.
    Don’t forget key sequences either. Set them up on whatever window manager (or even desktop environment), and if you don’t use the ones that are provided, overwrite them in your own scripts and use them to make for starting common activities with one key press!

Check out file in ~/.config too.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by Brian Masinick.

Brian Masinick

Don’t forget key sequences

key “chains”?
    That’s a fine candidate subject for a tips-n-tricks tutorial, hint hint

Don’t forget key sequences

key “chains”?
    That’s a fine candidate subject for a tips-n-tricks tutorial, hint hint

Depending on available time, I may write something. Meanwhile, people can examine the configuration files for whatever window manager they use. That might be a useful “hunt” for those who know how to search for information, but I agree with you; having an easy to read tip on accelerators, mnemonics, key press sequences, etc. – checking and using the “correct” terms – and IF I write something I will look for proper use of each phrase and term to describe each technique.

Meanwhile, the astute reader can also research, and if someone beats me to writing a helpful tip I welcome it!

Good idea skidoo!

Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
    DaveDave

6. Make this forum searchable by search engines. If I google something specific about AntiX it only returns results from the old forum making it look like there is no current support. You can find this forum only by following the link on antixlinux.com page.

Should be searchable now I think.
    Seems the site was set to disallow (disapprove of?) robots/crawlers. Still running through some optimizations for crawling / indexing; however using
    workspace site:http://antixforum.com
    Now yields results. Previous testing in this way showed no results found.

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

marcelocripemarcelocripe

Dave,

Thank you very much for making this forum searchable. I did some research tests on Google and Bing search engines, the results were excellent, I managed to find several topics of subjects that I had missed and that are of great interest to me. With this feature available, when someone searches for information about antiX on an internet search engine, they will surely arrive at this forum.

Thankful.
    marcelocripe
    (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese)

———-

Dave,

Muito obrigado por tornar este fórum pesquisável. Eu fiz alguns testes de pesquisa nos buscadores Google e Bing, os resultados foram excelentes, eu consegui encontrar vários tópicos de assuntos que eu havia perdido e que são de grande interesse para mim. Com este recurso disponível, quando alguém pesquisar informações sobre o antiX em um buscador da internet, certamente chegará neste fórum.

Grato.
    marcelocripe
    (Texto original em Português do Brasil)

Viewing 12 posts - 151 through 162 (of 162 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.