Ideas for improvements in future releases

Tagged: 

• This topic has 177 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated May 23-4:44 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 178 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    SamK

I will put other projects on hold, and try to help as best I can, under the limitations of knowledge and time I have. Let me know how I can help out.

Xecure
      Your offer to help is welcome. Thanks.

Your work on SIS and VIA graphics might also be worth pursuing if time allows. It has the potential to restore functionality which antiX used to have.

Some years back upstream support for SIS was dropped which had a knock-on effect on antiX, because of our support of elderly hardware. At that point I managed to find sisimedia driver which worked well enough to ship in antiX. Some time later further upstream changes resulted in sismedia driver failing in antiX. That still applies in antiX-19.

By happy accident, I found the following on Arch, dated 2019-11-22 indicating success with sisimedia. I am unable to look into the matter so not sure how useful it might be. It might mesh with your existing work, or provide another avenue of exploration.
      http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=250786

I have 32bit SIS kit here which I keep for testing purposes. If I am able to test any outcome I will help, however the demands of real life leave me with almost zero spare resource. I have no idea when that might change.

ModdIt

@skidoo, thanks for the insights, i have used linux for years but never got as deep in to linux as
        would be helpful now. Seems our approach must change, likely more and more as we learn.

You have been deeply involved for many years, from the start of antiX and before,our dive in to the depths is
        for us like a first night dive, we can not see far, certainly not beyond often conflicting information, plenty of willingness to help but we are likely to keep on turning in the wrong direction for a while.

mention of suse came from interaction. detail…. Now OT..

I guess majority of the kids are somewhere between
        4- Ordinary user – learned to install and uninstall programs, curious, eventually destroys the operating system. already know how to install an operating system. I believe that you still have to use the ISO of antiX full.
        5- Average user – knows exactly what he wants, already knows how to do and does not destroy the operating system.
        You can probably use the base antiX ISO and have some kind of CLI skills.

Break things learn to fix them seems to me logical progression to new skills.

Thing I find not highlighted is backup immediately after any customized install. Check the backup works.
        Never rely on 1 backup. That is for us a golden rule.
        German, Vietnamese, Chinese play school kids can often use browser messenger etc, many have smartphones from a very early age. Minan lives in Vietnam is 5 near 6 learning computer skills in a village school already. On my last visit that little girl was explaining to me how to use my laptop, in broken English but learning fast all she wanted was the password.

We live in a very rapidly changing world.

@all Please excuse my/our mistakes. Luckily no lives depend on our product at this point and place in time.

Xecure

By happy accident, I found the following on Arch, dated 2019-11-22 indicating success with sisimedia. I am unable to look into the matter so not sure how useful it might be. It might mesh with your existing work, or provide another avenue of exploration.
          http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=250786

Thanks, Samk. I looked into it a bit and it is way over my head.
          I also found the other sisimedia topic you reference for antiX 17 (https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/sisimedia-failure-antix-17_386-base/) and will explore the possibilities, but my knowledge of linux in general is still very limited, so don’t expect too much.

Thanks again for your help.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
          General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

marcelocripe

@SamK,

I appreciate your answers. I’ve been trying to answer this topic since 07-12-2020, but I’ve been getting a blocking message.

SamK wrote:
            You do an excellent job of communicating in a non-native language.

Even though I was taking as much care as possible with the original text in Brazilian Portuguese, in order to make it easier for internet translators to be able to do their job well done, there have been some misunderstandings. This is something that is completely out of my control, unfortunately. Because the words that come to you in English, were produced by the internet translators. That is why I include the original text in Brazilian Portuguese, in case of any misunderstanding due to some unsuccessful translation, any bilingual person can clarify the misunderstanding.

I thought the ISO of the antiX full version was aimed at novice users. So what kind of user is it for?

SamK wrote:
            Alternative
            If the above do not match expectations or preconceptions of how antiX works there is another route available.

This has nothing to do with meeting expectations or not, you must agree with me that, as it was conditioned, it is not productive. And the community loses the most with this, failing to take advantage of the available and unused potential.

SamK wrote:
            Previously in this topic multiple participants have made multiple suggestions to create a re-spin but there appears to be a lack of willingness to do so. It would be the acid test of whether there are large numbers of Windows refugees waiting for it.

Doing a “re-spin”, I still don’t really know what it is or how to do it. For me this is still far from my reality, I will need to learn a lot to be able to reach this level. Would the “re-spin” make another version of antiX from the original version? Do the developers authorize the anti-re-spin of antiX?

While I was writing this text and wasting enormous time reading and understanding the translations, the @Xecure, as usual, has already made important collaborations

We want to collaborate with what we can, with what little we know. Some know more, others know less, some have more time available to collaborate and others have less time. I have already written this several times “the more I learn about antiX the more I can collaborate with antiX or here on the forum”.

SamK wrote:
            It would be the acid test of whether there are large numbers of Windows refugees waiting for it.

If you authorize me, I will post here or send you in the private message the links of several instant messaging groups that I have contact with several “Windows refugees”, so you can check the number of people who are free from Windows (I I tried to send, the names of the groups and the number of participants, but I still receive the blocking message). In these groups, what they have in common is that in all these groups there are users of antiX, they are Brazilian, I imagine that they do not venture into a forum in a predominantly English language. It is not for lack of me inviting them or calling them to participate in this forum. The reach of antiX, due to the large number of languages available, is much greater than can be counted. regardless of the number of participants in this forum.

SamK wrote:
            Continue to promote antiX in your own country, perhaps ensure all documentation (current and future) is available in your language, perhaps consider making antiX videos in your language, etc.

You can be sure that I will continue to do so, as long as you accept me here on the forum, I will continue to multiply antiX to as many people and beginners and computer learners as possible. But this is only possible due to the support we have here in the community, without this support, there is no way to learn a Linux distribution on your own.

About the translations, I ask you to look at the transifex site, I have already made several corrections, adaptations and updates in the Brazilian Portuguese area, I still haven’t been able to do the process that I call “review of what I’ve already done”, I intend to compare the translation available in the Portuguese area of ​​Portugal with the Brazilian Portuguese version. The texts that I find best explained in Portuguese of Portugal, I will reuse for the Brazilian Portuguese area, I will make the necessary adaptations, due to the variations between languages. In parallel, I compare what can be viewed in antiX to be able to make adjustments to line breaks and necessary adjustments due to the space available.

I also ask you to search the texts of the SpaceFM file manager, http://www.transifex.com/ignorantguru/spacefm/translate/#pt_BR, the SpaceFM texts for antiX 19.2 and 19.3 are in two languages, partially in Portuguese and partially in English.

If I can do all the translation of the help contained in the antiX full ISO that is in HTML, would you include it in the next version of antiX?

If I do the translation and do not enter at least the ISO of antiX full, then it will not have the reach I want, which is to help as many people as possible who speak the Brazilian Portuguese language. If I just put it on any website, the reach to Brazilian Portuguese speakers will be almost negligible. My action, alone in including the manual created by @PPC and kindly provided by him in the European Portuguese language and adapted by me for the Brazilian Portuguese language in each installation that I do with antiX, are still small actions compared to its action of being able to include or not the manual or help translated in the ISO of antiX full.

I tried to attach the “.desktop” files of the Recycle Bin / Recycling icon in the topic https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/adicionar-reciclagem-ou-lixeira-ao-antix/, but I get the message ” … This file type is not permitted for security reasons. “. Due to this block, @PPC’s collaborations and mine were incomplete, the icons were duly reviewed by @PPC and would work for any antiX installation, regardless of username.

I thank you for antiX. I hope to be able to collaborate in some way with the new version.

marcelocripe
            (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese)

———-

@SamK,

Eu agradeço por suas respostas. Eu estou tentando responder neste tópico desde o dia 07-12-2020, mas eu venho recebendo uma mensagem de bloqueio.

SamK wrote:
            You do an excellent job of communicating in a non-native language.

Mesmo eu tomando o máximo de cuidado possível com o texto original em Português do Brasil, com o objetivo de facilitar para os tradutores da internet poderem fazer o seu trabalho bem feito, já ocorreram alguns mal entendidos. Isso é algo que foge totalmente do meu controle, infelizmente. Pois as palavras que chegam para vocês em Inglês, foram produzidas pelos tradutores da internet. Por isso eu incluo o texto original em Português do Brasil, caso ocorra algum mal entendido devido a alguma tradução mal sucedida, qualquer pessoa bilíngue poderá esclarecer a mal entendido.

Eu pensava que a ISO da versão do antiX full fosse direcionada para os usuários iniciantes. Então é destinada para qual tipo de usuário?

SamK wrote:
            Alternative
            If the above do not coincide with expectations or preconceptions of how antiX works there is another route available.

Isso não tem haver com coincidir ou não com as expectativas, você deverá concordar comigo que, dessa forma como foi condicionado, não é produtivo. E quem mais perde com isso é a própria comunidade, deixando de aproveitar o potencial disponível e não utilizado.

SamK wrote:
            Previously in this topic multiple participants have made multiple suggestions to create a re-spin but there appears to be a lack of willingness to do so. It would be the acid test of whether there are large numbers of Windows refugees waiting for it.

Fazer um “re-spin”, eu ainda não sei bem o que é isso ou como fazer. Para mim isso ainda está longe da minha realidade, eu precisarei aprender muito para poder chegar a este nível. O “re-spin” seria fazer uma outra versão do antiX a partir da versão original? Os desenvolvedores autorizam o “re-spin” do antiX?

Enquanto eu escrevia este texto e perdia um tempo enorme para ler e entender as traduções, o @Xecure, como de costume, já fez importantes colaborações

Queremos colaborar com o que podemos, com o pouco que sabemos. Alguns sabem mais, outros sabem menos, alguns possuem mais tempo disponível para colaborar e outros possuem menos tempo. Eu já escrevi várias vezes isso “quanto mais eu aprendo sobre o antiX mais eu posso colaborar com o antiX ou aqui no fórum”.

SamK wrote:
            It would be the acid test of whether there are large numbers of Windows refugees waiting for it.

Se você me autorizar eu publico aqui ou te envio na mensagem particular os links de vários grupos de serviço de mensagens instantâneas que eu possuo contato com vários “refugiados do Windows”, assim você poderá verificar a quantidade de pessoas que estão livres do Windows (eu tentei enviar, os nomes dos grupos e a quantidade de participantes, mas eu continuo recebendo a mensagem de bloqueio). Nestes grupos, o que eles tem em comum, é que em todos estes grupos existem usuários do antiX, são Brasileiros, imagino eu que não se aventuram em um fórum em idioma predominantemente Inglês. Não é por falta de eu convidá-los ou chamá-los para participarem deste fórum. O alcance do antiX, devido a grande quantidade de idiomas disponíveis, é bem maior do que se pode contabilizar. independentemente da quantidade de participantes deste fórum.

SamK wrote:
            Continue to promote antiX in your own country, perhaps ensure all documentation (current and future) is available in your language, perhaps consider making antiX videos in your language, etc.

Você pode ter certeza que continuarei a fazer isso sim, enquanto vocês me aceitarem aqui no fórum, continuarei multiplicando o antiX ao maior número possível de pessoas e usuários iniciantes e aprendizes de computador. Mas isso só é possível devido ao apoio que temos aqui na comunidade, sem este apoio, não tem como aprender sozinho uma distribuição Linux.

Sobre as traduções, eu peço para buscarem no site transifex, eu já fiz várias correções, adaptações e atualizações na área Português do Brasil, eu ainda não consegui fazer o processo que eu chamo de “revisão do que eu já fiz”, eu pretendo comparar a tradução disponível na área em Português de Portugal com a versão em Português do Brasil. Os textos que eu encontrar melhor explicados em Português de Portugal, eu reaproveitarei para a área Português do Brasil, farei as adaptações necessárias, devido as variações entre os idiomas. Em paralelo, eu comparo com o que é possível ser visualizado no antiX para poder fazer os ajustes nas quebras de linhas e os ajustes necessários devido ao espaço disponível.

Eu peço também para buscarem os textos do gerenciador de arquivos SpaceFM, http://www.transifex.com/ignorantguru/spacefm/translate/#pt_BR, os textos do SpaceFM para o antiX 19.2 e 19.3 estão em dois idiomas, parcialmente em Português e parcialmente em Inglês.

Se eu conseguir fazer toda a tradução da ajuda contida na ISO do antiX full que está em HTML, você incluiria na próxima versão do antiX?

Se eu fizer a tradução e não entrar ao menos na ISO do antiX full, então não terá o alcance que desejo, que é de ajudar o maior número possível de pessoas falantes do idioma Português do Brasil. Se eu apenas colocar em um site qualquer na internet, o alcance aos falantes do idioma Português do Brasil será quase insignificante. A minha ação, sozinho em incluir o manual criado pelo @PPC e gentilmente fornecido por ele em idioma Português Europeu e adaptado por mim para o idioma Português do Brasil em cada instalação que eu vier a fazer do antiX, ainda são ações pequenas se comparadas a sua ação de poder incluir ou não o manual ou de ajuda traduzida na ISO do antiX full.

Eu tentei anexar os arquivos “.desktop” do ícone da Lixeira/Reciclagem no tópico https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/adicionar-reciclagem-ou-lixeira-ao-antix/, mas eu recebo a mensagem “… this file type is not permitted for security reasons.”. Devido a este bloqueio, as colaborações do @PPC e as minhas ficaram incompletas, os ícone foram devidamente revisados pelo @PPC e funcionariam para qualquer instalação do antiX, independetemente do nome de usuário.

Eu agradeço pelo antiX. Espero poder colaborar de alguma forma com a nova versão.

marcelocripe
            (Texto original em Português do Brasil)

Xecure

@all
              Maybe you missed it, but there is an official announcement by anticapitalista here:
              Future antiX
              where the things that need to be addressed and where help is needed is organized and explained.

All of us who want can try helping in any of the points raised there.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
              General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

Forum Admin
              SamK

I thought the ISO of the antiX full version was aimed at novice users. So what kind of user is it for?

antiX-Full is not aimed specifically at novice users, it is aimed at all users. The idea of it being for novice users is a very recent and incorrect presumption made by some people.

Historically, antiX did not offer the range of ISOs it currently does. There were some requests to have an ISO that did not include all the programs shipped in antiX-Full. Some users wanted to reduce the amount of bandwidth and time required to download the ISO, some did not want the full range of programs, some wanted to choose for themselves what was installed. To meet these requests the range of ISOs evolved to their current number.

antiX-Full always remained available. It contains the full range of programs without being modified to suit any particular group of users. It has never been abridged for novice users. antiX-Full is the standard version of our distro for all users.

Doing a “re-spin”, I still don’t really know what it is or how to do it. For me this is still far from my reality, I will need to learn a lot to be able to reach this level. Would the “re-spin” make another version of antiX from the original version? Do the developers authorize the anti-re-spin of antiX?

You are encouraged to create it, use it and distribute it if you want to. There is even a section of the antiX forum (sub-section of Development) where you can post about it or request help etc. The term re-spin is a slang word. In antiX is properly named Remaster. The antiX-FAQ has a section about it (in English). The first line is most informative.
                “The primary purpose of live remastering is to make it as safe, easy, and convenient as possible for users to make their own customized version of antiX.”

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by SamK.
                Brian Masinick

@all
                  Maybe you missed it, but there is an official announcement by anticapitalista here:
                  Future antiX
                  where the things that need to be addressed and where help is needed is organized and explained.

All of us who want can try helping in any of the points raised there.

antiX-Full is not aimed specifically at novice users, it is aimed at all users. The idea of it being for novice users is a very recent and incorrect presumption made by some people.

Historically, antiX did not offer the range of ISOs it currently does. There were some requests to have an ISO that did not include all the programs shipped in antiX-Full. Some users wanted to reduce the amount of bandwidth and time required to download the ISO, some did not want the full range of programs, some wanted to choose for themselves what was installed. To meet these requests the range of ISOs evolved to their current number.

antiX-Full always remained available. It contains the full range of programs without being modified to suit any particular group of users. It has never been abridged for novice users. antiX-Full is the standard version of our distro for all users.

You are encouraged to create it, use it and distribute it if you want to. There is even a section of the antiX forum (sub-section of Development) where you can post about it or request help etc. The term re-spin is a slang word. In antiX is properly named Remaster. The antiX-FAQ has a section about it (in English). The first line is most informative.
                  “The primary purpose of live remastering is to make it as safe, easy, and convenient as possible for users to make their own customized version of antiX.”

These two messages really bring home the importance of the ideas, and also the importance of understanding the capabilities of antiX in its current form.

The first thing to realize is that even though we have been discussing ideas for improvement in future releases, we also have to remember that the decisions made for this distribution entirely belong to those who formed, and are responsible, for this distribution. One of the main aims is to provide support for old hardware. Some of the changes made at levels in the Linux ecosystem actually make this difficult because support for some components has been dropped at the Linux kernel, while support for many more hardware components has been added. The antiX team does as much as possible to preserve and extend the life expectancy of older systems, but is constrained by some OS features that are supported by other teams not managed by antiX.

Another goal is to remain as light and nimble as possible; this is also affected by resources outside of the direct control of antiX, though the team still does a remarkable job.

Finally, while some people aim for the simplest, easiest possible interface, let me highlight what SamK said and what’s possible. AntiX does have a rich toolset, and the use of remastering, that is, adding, removing, changing, and configuring the software and the appearance, then saving the result into a different bootable ISO image, is something that antiX provides as a standard capability. Therefore, while the stock, standard antiX images are NOT going to appeal to every possible feature or capability, suppose, just for the sake of discussion, that the system you envision closely resembles something that Mint, Ubuntu, or even Apple or Microsoft has created, if you really desire that kind of look or feature capability, with antiX you still have some choices. Of course, one choice is to actually use one or more of those other systems; we have the freedom of choice after all. There are other ways too. With the different window managers, desktop environments, software applications, and utility tools available, only your own creativity and willingness to experiment prevents you from creating your own very personal and custom version of antiX.

I recommend for those looking for a different experience to experiment – try the various antiX tools; see if you can create something DIFFERENT that actually works, and then remaster the image. Make sure you have ways of getting back to what you had before – keep an image of antiX handy, back up your work, and ideally have a spare system or something you can use, recreate, or recover from in case of making mistakes. The first time you experiment, you may indeed make mistakes. This is how we learn. Still, I highly recommend that those of you looking for something different try to actually MAKE it YOURSELF – with the antiX tools.

Those of you that are successful in doing so will feel a great sense of accomplishment, and you will also see the power, flexibility and advantages of the antiX approach. You can keep the work to yourself if you wish, or you can post pictures or even system images of the work that you’ve done, but believe me, you’ll have fun doing it if you can take the time and effort to build exactly what you want, and antiX is one of the best distributions available for doing this kind of work.

Let me know what you think about this, and if you are not sure what I mean, please ask. We’ve mentioned the tools to use in various posts and threads in this forum and we can point out a few, plus the docs if they are not obvious; I do hope that this is very helpful and stimulates some excitement and some great ideas that you can make your very own this year!

--
                  Brian Masinick

marcelocripe

SamK wrote:

(texto traduzido pelo tradutor da internet)SamK escreveu:
                    Você é encorajado a criá-lo, usá-lo e distribuí-lo se desejar. Existe até uma seção do fórum antiX (subseção de Desenvolvimento) onde você pode postar sobre isso ou solicitar ajuda, etc. O termo re-spin é uma gíria. No antiX é apropriadamente denominado Remaster. O antiX-FAQ tem uma seção sobre isso (em inglês). A primeira linha é mais informativa.
                    “O principal objetivo da remasterização ao vivo é torná-lo o mais seguro, fácil e conveniente possível para os usuários fazerem sua própria versão personalizada do antiX.”

SamK,

I thank you for all your clarifications.

Now I understand what the word “re-spin” means, the slang words are very difficult to translate with internet translators. The more formal the English text is, the greater the possibility of my understanding. The word “re-spin” meaning “remastering”, became easier for me to understand.

I thank you for formalizing the issue of authorizing the remastering of antiX. Receiving this type of authorization is very important to me, it makes me much more relaxed about any type of current or future action related to antiX. That is why I am more and more sure, that I am in the right place and that this is my place. I am sorry I did not meet you all 20 years ago, at the time of MEPIS Linux. Many years were lost and imprisoned in Windows.

After this text of yours, animator. I think we can add another meaning to the word “antiX”: “freedom of use and creation”.

marcelocripe wrote:
                    “I thought the ISO for the antiX full version was aimed at novice users.”

This foregone conclusion was mine, I apologize. My goal was never to spread misinformation. This foregone conclusion is due to the fact that I can understand from the translations, unfortunately a lot of important information is lost or I just don’t understand it correctly.

You mentioned a little of the story, this information I was looking for with mr. Brian, or following any historical fact reported by him or the Anti-capitalist. When this busy moment is over (from the production of the new version of antiX), if possible, think about a page on the website and a link about the antiX history. This historical record is not easy to find all in one place, history is an important part of antiX. Yer make history!

I am very grateful to be participating in this Linux community.

Thank you!

marcelocripe

———-

SamK wrote:

(texto traduzido pelo tradutor da internet)SamK escreveu:
                    Você é encorajado a criá-lo, usá-lo e distribuí-lo se desejar. Existe até uma seção do fórum antiX (subseção de Desenvolvimento) onde você pode postar sobre isso ou solicitar ajuda, etc. O termo re-spin é uma gíria. No antiX é apropriadamente denominado Remaster. O antiX-FAQ tem uma seção sobre isso (em inglês). A primeira linha é mais informativa.
                    “O principal objetivo da remasterização ao vivo é torná-lo o mais seguro, fácil e conveniente possível para os usuários fazerem sua própria versão personalizada do antiX.”

SamK,

Eu agradeço por todos os seus esclarecimentos.

Agora eu entendi o que significa a palavra “re-spin”, as gírias são muito difíceis para serem traduzidas com os tradutores da internet. Quanto mais formal é o texto em idioma Inglês, maior é a possibilidade da minha compreensão. A palavra “re-spin” significando “remasterização”, ficou mais fácil para eu compreender.

Eu agradeço por formalizar a questão da autorização da remasterização do antiX. Receber esse tipo de autorização é muito importante para mim, me deixa muito mais tranquilo sobre qualquer tipo de ação atual ou futura relacionada ao antiX. É por isso que eu tenho cada vez mais certeza, que estou no lugar certo e que aqui é o meu lugar. Eu lamento por não ter conhecido todos vocês há 20 anos atrás, na época do MEPIS Linux. Foram muitos anos perdidos e aprisionados no Windows.

Depois deste seu texto, animador. Eu penso que podemos incluir outro significado a palavra “antiX”: “liberdade de uso e criação”.

marcelocripe escreveu:
                    “Eu pensava que a ISO da versão do antiX full fosse direcionada para os usuários iniciantes.”

Esta conclusão precipitadas eram as minhas, eu peço desculpas. O meu objetivo nunca foi propagar a desinformação. Esta conclusão precipitada se deve ao fato do que eu consigo compreender a partir das traduções, infelizmente várias informações importantes se perdem ou simplesmente não as compreendo corretamente.

Você mencionou um pouco da história, estas informações eu vinha buscando com o sr. Brian, ou acompanhando qualquer fato histórico relatado por ele ou pelo Anticapitalista. Quando este momento corrido acabar (da produção da nova versão do antiX), se possível, pense em uma página no site e um link sobre a história o antiX. Este registro histórico não é fácil de ser encontrado todo em um só lugar, a história é parte importante do antiX. Vocês fazem história!

Sou muito grato por estar participando desta comunidade Linux.

Muito Obrigado!

marcelocripe

marcelocripe

Mr. Brian,

I would like you to know that I always call you by the first name “Brian” and not by “Masinick”, it is not out of lack of respect for you, but it is only due to custom. In Brazil, we are used to treating people by their first name and it is not common to treat them by their surnames. Here in Brazil, when the form of treatment by the surname is used, it is usually used in a tone of irony, or to be used aggressively, or even indirectly and rudely. A colleague who knows English and North American customs warned me to call colleagues in this forum by their surname, but it will not be easy to change the custom and it may be a little too late (laughs), it has been more than seven months here on the forum …

And it is about “custom” that I always share the difficulties of users who are computer learners or beginners in antiX. The difficulties are due to “custom” in other operating systems (Windows or Android) or the language. I very much hope that in the next version of antiX all the work that I have been doing on the transifex site will be taken full advantage, I still don’t consider it as finished, but I’m sure it will make it much easier for Brazilian Portuguese speakers. This is a challenge for me, making the initial antiX experience as less traumatic as possible. The solutions suggested and presented by @PPC (Control Panel, new IT, the Desktop Shortcut Adder and the “transformation”) can bring familiarity in the new operating system to these users. Then, over time, they discover that there are several Workspaces available in antiX, in addition to these related Workspaces of Windows 10 or Windows 7. It is not a mistake, it is to attract more users who do not even know about the existence of Linux distributions. .

Masinick wrote:
                      Another goal is to remain as light and nimble as possible; this is also affected by resources outside of the direct control of antiX, though the team still does a remarkable job.

I imagine that this should be a very big challenge for the developers, in this forced migration in having to update the “operating system resources that are supported by other teams not managed by antiX” and still maintain the “main objectives is to provide support for hardware old”. In addition to what was cited by Anticapitalista, “try to keep CPU and RAM usage downtime to a minimum”.

Masinick wrote:
                      Let me know what you think about this, and if you are not sure what I mean, please ask. We’ve mentioned the tools to use in various posts and threads in this forum and we can point out a few, plus the docs if they are not obvious; I do hope that this is very helpful and stimulates some excitement and some great ideas that you can make your very own this year!

I really want to learn how to remaster antiX. I intend to read about remastering, do tests and if I have difficulties, I will certainly ask for your help. But first, I need to collaborate with what I can in this new team challenge, the new version of antiX. I thank you for all the support you have been giving me and all the learning.

marcelocripe

———-

Sr. Brian,

Eu gostaria que o senhor soubesse que eu sempre lhe chamo pelo primeiro nome “Brian” e não por “Masinick”, não é por falta de respeito ao senhor, mas é somente devido ao costume. No Brasil, nós estamos acostumados a tratar as pessoas pelo primeiro nome e não é comum tratar pelo sobrenome. Aqui no Brasil, quando é utilizado a forma de tratamento pelo sobrenome, normalmente é utilizada em tom de ironia, ou para ser utilizada de forma agressiva, ou até mesmo indireta e rude. Um colega que conhece os costumes Inglês e Norte Americano me alertou para eu tratar os colegas do deste fórum pelo sobrenome, mas não será fácil mudar o costume e talvez seja um pouco tarde demais (risos), já são mais de sete meses aqui no fórum…

E é sobre “costume” que sempre compartilho as dificuldades dos usuários aprendizes em informática ou iniciantes no antiX. As dificuldades, são devido ao “costume” em outros sistemas operacionais (Windows ou Android) ou ao idioma. Eu desejo muito que na próxima versão do antiX sejam aproveitadas ao máximo todo o trabalho que eu venho desempenhando no site transifex, ainda não considero como concluído, mas tenho certeza que facilitará muito para os falantes do Português do Brasil. Esse é um desafio para mim, tornar a experiência inicial no antiX menos traumática possível. As soluções sugeridas e apresentadas pelo @PPC (Painel de Controle, novo TI, o Adicionador de Atalhos para Área de Trabalho e a “transformação”) podem trazer a familiaridade no novo sistema operacional a estes usuários. Depois, com o tempo, passam a descobrir que existem várias Áreas de Trabalho disponíveis no antiX, além desta Áreas de Trabalho aparentada de Windows 10 ou Windows 7. Não é para enganar, é para captar mais usuários que sequer sabem da existência das distribuições Linux.

Masinick wrote:

Eu imagino que este deverá ser um desafio bem grande para os desenvolvedores, nesta migração forçada em ter que atualizar os “recursos do sistema operacional que são suportados por outras equipes não gerenciadas pelo antiX” e ainda manter os “principais objetivos é fornecer suporte para hardware antigo”. Além do que foi citado pelo Anticapitalista, “tentar manter CPU e RAM uso em inatividade ao mínimo”.

Masinick wrote:

Eu tenho muita vontade de aprender sim a remasterizar o antiX. Eu pretendo ler sobre remasterização, fazer testes e se eu tiver dificuldades, certamente pedirei a sua ajuda. Ma antes, preciso colaborar com o que eu posso neste novo desafio da equipe, a nova versão do antiX. Eu agradeço por todo o apoio que o senhor vem me dando e todo o aprendizado.

marcelocripe

Anonymous

I really want to learn how to remaster antiX [..] But first

blahblah wall of text

Just do it. Learn by doing.
                        No harm, and certain enlightenment, if you will just dive in and launch the isosnapshot program.

Let’s take care in communicating the terminology, the utility program names:

remaster, aka “live-remaster”, can only run within liveboot scenario. it (over)writes one’s liveboot device.

snapshot, aka “isosnapshot”, can be run both from a live session and from an installed-to-disk system.
                        Its work output is an ISO file, suitable for use on a liveboot device, containing a faithful copy of the operating system in its current state (reflecting any additions, customizations, deletions you have performed to date). It provides choice of modes ~~ “general” (intended for redistribution) or “personal” (the copied system will include any existing user login accounts and home directories, replete with web browser profiles-n-history and/or other files which may contain sensitive personal information).

After examining the sequential isosnapshot user interface screens, you are free to exit the program without actually generating an ISO file. If you generate an ISO file, you may (while experimenting) choose to immediately delete it and start afresh ~~ choosing a differenct set of options during your next isosnapshot trial-run.

A third utility, named “live-usb-maker” provides additional functionality, some of which overlaps the aforementioned tools. After generating a custom ISO via isosnapshot, you can employ live-usb-maker to generate liveboot media from the ISO. Someone pursuing distribution of a “respin” might skip this step and, instead, upload the ISO to a public http//ftp server (or share via a p2p application) and publicize its availability.

Brian Masinick

Skidoo, thank you for clarifying the correct names for the various features and tools

Your explanation is very good, not only is it accurate, it is also very clear and I will copy your explanation for this reason.

Thanks again for the excellent, clear note.

--
                          Brian Masinick

Anonymous

We would benefit from conditional (context aware) loading of conkyrc

As is, when running on a desktop PC, the default antiX conky continually spams the ~/.desktop-session/log
                            and
                            that logfile is not mentioned in persist-save-exclude.list
                            (and really, I would not want it to be listed there)
                            During a long-running persistence session the logfile can become bloated, adding several MB overhead to every on-demand persist-save write operation.

Conky: can't open /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state: No such file or directory

conky accepts commandline option config=FILE

I am suggesting that the desktop session startup script should launch a wrapper script instead of invoking conky directly. The wrapper script would test details of the runtime environment, and conditionally load a suitably-matched conky config file.

As I have previously mentioned elsewhere, considering that antiX LIVE and PERSISTENCE are limelight features, the conky really should strive to display content tailored to (for) livesession and/or persistence//frugal users.

Anonymous

spam found within antiX19 desktop-session log
                              apparently stemming from the shipped fluxbox/keys file:

Keys: Invalid key/modifier on line 18): OnRightGrip Move1 :StartResizing bottomright
                              Keys: Invalid key/modifier on line 19): OnWindowBorder Move1 :StartMoving
                              Keys: Invalid key/modifier on line 24): OnTitlebar Mouse1 :MacroCmd {Focus} {Raise} {ActivateTab}
                              Keys: Invalid key/modifier on line 26): OnTitlebar Move1 :StartMoving
                              Keys: Invalid key/modifier on line 27): OnLeftGrip Move1 :StartResizing bottomleft
                              Keys: Invalid key/modifier on line 28): OnRightGrip Move1 :StartResizing bottomright
                              Keys: Invalid key/modifier on line 29): OnWindowBorder Move1 :StartMoving
                              Keys: Invalid key/modifier on line 34): OnTitlebar Mouse1 :MacroCmd {Focus} {Raise} {ActivateTab}
                              Keys: Invalid key/modifier on line 36): OnTitlebar Move1 :StartMoving
                              Keys: Invalid key/modifier on line 37): OnLeftGrip Move1 :StartResizing bottomleft
                              Keys: Invalid key/modifier on line 38): OnRightGrip Move1 :StartResizing bottomright
                              Keys: Invalid key/modifier on line 39): OnWindowBorder Move1 :StartMoving
                              Keys: Invalid key/modifier on line 182): Control Mod1 Backspace :Minimize
                              amg

AntiX with a Wayland without X.org?

Robin

Why would you prefere to dump X.org? If suggesting that a great change you should give some explanation what you would expect from it.

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 178 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.