Ideas for improvements in future releases

Tagged: 

• This topic has 177 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated May 23-4:44 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 178 total)
  • Author
    ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

Using ICEWM, was finding the menu very cluttered and pointing users to the control center
    quickly. Preferences themes and focus menu entrys are disabled from within Icewm preferences.

I would plead to keep Personal entry rather than Favourite applications. Favourite means to me most
    used or most liked.
    I have put entrys for stand alone, ie not installed applications in the personal
    menu as well as Libreoffice 7.1 Beta, Master PDF editor free version Mediathekview which are in /opt.

Our favourites/most used applications are in the menubar.

PPC
    Helpful
    Up

@Moddit – I was just putting my ideas out here: I have no problem with the “Personal” menu- I disable it myself and always use toolbar icons for my most used applications… I was just saying it does not sound very descriptive to newbies. Maybe “Personal Applications”? Or just leave it as is…
    My other suggestions were my main point- organizing the default applications and the entire menu in a more logical way, because the current layout seems quite random…

P.

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

replying to a post asking howto remove the “Run” entry from iceWM menu.
    Maybe not available yet in version of iceWM you are using, but the version on github shows
    this configuration detail should be settable via the preferences submenu.
    Preferences }} Show }} Run

the separator
    [..]
    preferences and themes and focus

IIRC, a few separators are hardcoded into the menu design
    (to provide a subtle hint as to who/what is responsible for populating and maintaining the various toplevel menu “sections”)

preferences and themes and focus, these too are hardcoded, IIRC.
    You might open a github ticket and petition the developer to collapse them into a single “iceWM settings” toplevel item.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 4 weeks ago by skidoo.
    ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

Hi PPC, “Personal Applications”, would be good.

organizing the default applications and the entire menu in a more logical way, because the current layout seems quite random.

Agree grouping applications a little better would be a help, alphabetic sorting is maybe easier but does at times seem much less
    logical than tool grouping.
    An example which causes a lot of confusion, repo manager, antiX package manager synaptic. aolpahabeticaly sorted are apart,
    I put them together as package management tools after some critical comments. :-)..
    System menu comes up as below. My menu starts with LogOff, then Help, above that Controll center.

Most confusing entrys and clutter comes from same applications showing in multiple places. Controll center and in some cases more
    than once in menu.

always use toolbar icons for my most used applications. Here same but clear and concise menu would be good for all.

Standard Icewm on my box looks this way: Alphabetic sorting as standard.
    prog “App Select” /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/48×48/apps/gnome-searchtool.png /usr/local/bin/app-select
    prog “Autostart von Diensten” /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/48×48/apps/choose-startup-services.png rc-conf-wrapper.sh
    prog “Bootreparatur” /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/48×48/apps/bootrepair.png su-to-root -X -c bootrepair
    prog “Codecs Installer” /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/48×48/apps/codecs.png su-to-root -X -c codecs
    prog “Format USB” /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/48×48/devices/media-removable.png formatusb
    prog “GDebi-Paket-Installationsprogramm” /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/48×48/mimetypes/gnome-mime-application-x-deb.png gksudo gdebi-gtk
    prog “GParted” /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/48×48/apps/gparted.png gksu gparted
    prog “Grsync” /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/48×48/apps/grsync.png /usr/bin/grsync -i
    prog “Htop” /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/48×48/apps/htop.png x-terminal-emulator -e htop
    prog “Kontrollzentrum” /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/48×48/apps/control-centre.png antixcc.sh
    prog “luckyBackup as Super User” /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/48×48/apps/luckybackup.png gksu /usr/bin/luckybackup
    prog “luckyBackup (super user)” /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/48×48/apps/luckybackup.png /usr/bin/luckybackup-pkexec
    prog “Midnight Commander” /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/48×48/apps/MidnightCommander.png x-terminal-emulator -e mc
    prog “Mountbox” /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/48×48/apps/mountbox.png mountbox
    prog “Netzwerkassistent” /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/48×48/apps/network-assistant.png su-to-root -X -c network-assistant
    prog “Nvidia-Treiber Installation” /usr/share/pixmaps/nvidia-ddm-mx.png desktop-defaults-run -t su-to-root -c “/usr/local/bin/ddm-mx -i nvidia”
    prog “Paket-Installer” /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/48×48/apps/packageinstaller.png su-to-root -X -c packageinstaller
    prog “PC Information” /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/48×48/apps/info_blue.png inxi-gui
    prog “qps” /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/48×48/apps/qps.png qps
    prog “Repo Manager” /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/48×48/apps/repo-manager.png su-to-root -X -c repo-manager
    prog “Root Terminal” /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/48×48/apps/gksu-root-terminal.png gksu /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator
    prog “ROX Filer” /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/48×48/apps/rox-filer.png rox-filer
    prog “ROX Filer as root” /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/48×48/places/folder-red.png su-to-root -X -c rox-filer
    prog “ROXTerm” /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/48×48/apps/roxterm.png roxterm
    prog “Synaptic-Paketverwaltung” /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/48×48/apps/synaptic.png gksu synaptic
    prog “Taskmanager” /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/48×48/apps/utilities-system-monitor.png lxtask

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

put them together as package management tools

I agree !

Most confusing entries and clutter comes from same applications showing in multiple places.

Yes, and it is especially confusing when the textlabels displayed in various locations are not identical… or, ARE identical, but clicking the various items brings a different result. Even if the difference is not functionally important — e.g. cc item XYZ opens a terminal emulator window showing a white background, but identically labeled menu item XYZ opens opens a terminal emulator window showing a dark background — the difference can be quite jarring.

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

PPC wrote:
    2- A script to access cloud drives from the default file manager (using rclone)- https://github.com/PPC-scripts/access_cloud
    It automatically configures Google Drive, all other cloud drives have to be configured via a CLI keyboard only menu.

PPC, the “antix-cloud.sh” that you programmed and that we work on developing the help texts is the same program “access_cloud-antix-version.sh”?

If it is the same program, please send the update “antix-cloud.sh” and the icon “antix-cloud.desktop” with texts in English, European Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese to GitHub. We will need other collaborators to translate into other languages. GitHub contains the last update of 21 November 2020. Soon I will make available to you the revised version of the texts in Brazilian Portuguese, the version “antix-cloud-pt-br_03-01-2021.sh” still has texts in Portuguese European.

marcelocripe
    (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese)

———-

PPC, o “antix-cloud.sh” que você programou e que nós trabalhamos no desenvolvimento dos textos de ajuda é o mesmo programa “access_cloud-antix-version.sh”?

Se for o mesmo programa, por favor, envia para o GitHub a atualização “antix-cloud.sh” e o ícone “antix-cloud.desktop” com os textos em idioma Inglês, Português Europeu e Português do Brasil. Precisaremos de outros colaboradores na tradução em outros idiomas. No GitHub consta a última atualização de 21 Novembro 2020. Daqui a pouco eu disponibilizarei para você a versão revisada dos textos em Português do Brasil, a versão “antix-cloud-pt-br_03-01-2021.sh” ainda possui textos em Português Europeu.

marcelocripe
    (Texto original em Português do Brasil)

userzero
    Helpful
    Up

Replace mirage with phototonic … (I like the selection of qpdfview).

The following NEW packages will be installed:
       libexiv2-14 phototonic
    0 updated, 2 new will be installed, 0 to remove, and 1 not updated.
    950 kB of files need to be downloaded.
    3718 kB of additional disk space will be used after this operation.

Phototonic.

Features:

– Light weight with a smooth and clear user interface
    – Does not depend on any desktop environment
    – Supports several customized thumbnail layouts
    – Load thumbnails and browse images recursively on a folder tree
    – Dynamic thumbnails loading, enables fast browsing of very large folders
    – Filter thumbnails by name
    – Image navigation and file management
    – Slide show
    – Transformation: rotation, flipping, cropping, image mirroring and scaling
    – Adjust image brightness, saturation, hue and contrast
    – Keep transformations, zoom and colors while browsing multiple images
    – Extensive automatic and manual zoom options
    – Supported image formats: BMP, GIF, ICO, JPEG, MNG, PBM, PGM, PNG, PPM,
    TGA, XBM, XPM and SVG, SVGZ, TIFF with plugins
    – Supports GIF animations
    – Keyboard shortcuts and mouse behavior customization
    – Load image files or folders from command line
    – Open images with external applications

Mirage.

Features:
    * Supports png, jpg, svg, xpm, gif, bmp, tiff, and others
    * Preloading to navigate faster through images (optional)
    * Thumbnail pane for quick navigation
    * Slideshow and fullscreen mode
    * Rotating, zooming, flipping, resizing, and cropping
    * Custom user actions
    * Screenshot

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

I put in request #543 for the IceWM Devs, and they are going to optionally consolidate the IceWM Focus, Theme, Preferences and Help off to a “Settings” submenu like they had back in 1.38. That will help.

I’m not sure it’s easy to move options to the main applications menu as that is automatically generated from the desktop entries. If that isn’t easy, maybe we could move “Refresh Menu” and “App Killer” to another menu. We could easily turn off “Run” from the IceWM preferences and put it on another menu as well.

I agree with the idea of removing some separator lines, too.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by BobC.
    Forum Admin
    Dave
    Helpful
    Up

I put in request #543 for the IceWM Devs, and they are going to optionally consolidate the IceWM Focus, Theme, Preferences and Help off to a “Settings” submenu like they had back in 1.38. That will help.

I’m not sure it’s easy to move options to the main applications menu as that is automatically generated from the desktop entries. If that isn’t easy, maybe we could move “Refresh Menu” and “App Killer” to another menu. We could easily turn off “Run” from the IceWM preferences and put it on another menu as well.

I agree with the idea of removing some separator lines, too.

I am sure the system could use some tuning. ( I am by no means an expert in all things XDG desktop spec )
    Basically you would make a .desktop file for refreshing the menu. This can be placed anywhere really.
    Then you would set this by editing /etc/xdg/menus/desktop-menu.menu to include an /path/to/file.desktop and place it where you would like in *********

Currently the files are in https://gitlab.com/antiX-Linux/desktop-session-antix/ but I feel it should be separated into a desktop-menu-antix package.

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

Murdock2525
    Helpful
    Up

I’m not going to recommend anything right now….I’ll just sit and enjoy the show ,making sure I update my alphalfa daily.
    So far it’s fantastic and I can only imagine what these gents have in mind. I’ll get bichee in 6 months tho…LOL

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

The IceWM devs have created a patch to combine them into a Settings submenu like they used to be a few years ago.

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

Ok, this would be what it would look like trimmed down (this is with my new theme in 1920×1080). The App Killer and Refresh menu options were moved off this menu, and as Dave suggested could be moved elsewhere via a desktop entry if not on the main menu. On mine I just moved them to the Desktop submenu for now.

I can redo the pic in Clearview Blue if anyone would like that…

PS: you need to click the pic to see the relevant parts, sorry…

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by BobC.
    Attachments:
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

I saw the change and have added it to the next build. I’m already testing it and it does make the menu less cluttered.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

@userzero
    phototonic, caveat, it looks like an abandoned project. Last update very long ago..

@ all taking out the double entrys from the menu and grouping applications depending
    on usage case rather than alphabet. is a very big improvement.

I also experimented with a menu that did not repeat control center entrys. That
    with removal of the double entrys and sorting was a huge improvement both in appearance and logic..

Unfortunately I have not found a way to prevent reversion of changes with any menu update.
    Not yet anyway.

Any further ideas, and info on how the present menu generation works very welcome.

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

ModdIt,

Xecure wrote:

B. “Applications” menu entries are autogenerated and are related to the information contained in the .desktop files (/usr/share/applications) that come with EACH application installed (most not controlled by antiX, so changes can only be asked upstream).

Xecure wrote:

The “menu-applications” file is autogenerated every time a new app is installed. It picks up the information from all the .desktop files stored in /usr/share/applications. Open any of them with a text editor and you will see if it includes the translated name Name[pt_BR] entry. This is the one that populates the menu-applications file (the menu) for pt_BR language (if only “Name” entry exists, this is the one that will populate the menu, as the pt_BR translation is missing).

If you edit the menu-applications file, next time you update the system all your changes are deleted. You need to edit the Name[pt_BR] entries for every .desktop file if you want the changes to remain (BUT see below).
    If you edit the .desktop entries, next time any of them is updated (new program updates) they will replace your changes, so you will have to edit them again. The only solution is that these suggested translation changes are added “upstream” (meaning, by the project developers or by the team that packages this software for Debian).
    Some of the programs found in /usr/share/applications are managed by antiX devs, so translated suggestions will be updated by the antiX devs. But many others are handled by Debian. Unless you ask them to add your changes, these will not be available on next updates.

More details on this information in the links to the texts “Xecure wrote:”.
    (Mais detalhes sobre estas informações nos links dos textos “Xecure wrote”:.)

marcelocripe

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 178 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.