If antiX IceWM has a "Windows95 theme, should we also have a "Windows 10" theme?

Forum Forums General Software If antiX IceWM has a "Windows95 theme, should we also have a "Windows 10" theme?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by seaken64 Sep 19-8:42 pm.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    PPC

Howdy!

I don’t want to start a “war”, here, but after getting to use a Windows 10 computer, after some months of almost exclusive MX and antiX use,the idea of having antiX (or MX, by the way) with a very similar theme to W10’s one could be a nice way to “lure” newbies, or at least avoid a “shock” for users that have to hop around their antiX machines at home and Windows machines at work.
    There are free W10 themes that can be adapted to Icewm (I can try doing it in my spare time, but just not now).

I also use a couple of small applications that I realize now work much like windows 10 native “apps”:
    – “Drill” (via appimage) for searching files and applications (similar to the “magnifying glass” icon on W10 toolbar”)
    – “skippy-xd” (from Mx’s repo, I believe) for switching windows (similar to the “app switcher” icon on W10 toolbar).

Those 2 icons, plus Space-FM set to be the default File Manager, and configured on a certain way (to look and feel more main stream) and conky turned off, coupled with having a icon for Chrome/Chromium/Ungoogled-Chromium available on the toolbar and also having links to MS Office web-apps (created using another tiny app- ICE- that allows web apps to run seamlessly) makes using even a 10 years old low powered single core CPU with antiX run about fast as – and with a similar user experience (that’s what I’m aiming at with this suggestion) to a medium range modern computer that’s only a couple of years old… at least to most users.
    Users can even install steam, for playing some windows games that are not too demanding (is there still such a thing?).

For the use that most people do from their computers- web browsing, usually using a Chromium derived browser, office work (usually using MS Office) and even some casual gaming, this would be enough…
    The only main difference would really be the Menu. But I’m an old fashioned guy… I like the old style menus, with categories (well, I’m not too extreme- my favorite is XFCE’s Whisker menu, not IceWM’s menu even with the new dynamic menus available that BobC created…)

Note: I’m just making a simple suggestion, to see if the Dev’s or the Users here like the idea of a newer Windows theme available. That makes sense, since we do have a Windows 95 theme (that I saw a couple of reviewers mocking, on YouTube)
    I’ m pretty much happy with Noclue’s “Blue day” theme and the default set of icons, I don’t need my system to be a clone of another OS, I already have it working just the way I like it!

P.

olsztyn

having a icon for Chrome/Chromium/Ungoogled-Chromium available on the toolbar and also having links to MS Office web-apps (created using another tiny app- ICE- that allows web apps to run seamlessly) makes using even a 10 years old low powered single core CPU with antiX run about fast as – and with a similar user experience (that’s what I’m aiming at with this suggestion) to a medium range modern computer that’s only a couple of years old… at least to most users.

Although my opinion does not carry much weight as I am just a user of antiX but I am glad such idea came up. Although i did not go to the extent of looking for ways to create a ‘Windows 10 like interface’, as I have been sufficiently satisfied with the best one available in antiX (Space Fluxbox), I have managed to put together much of what you list:
    – Important productivity apps: Microsoft Office Web apps (Exel, Word, etc…)
    – Chrome (you need for some functions)
    In my opinion the items you list are very important if antiX is to be used for any serious work, not just browsing.
    Also I would like to add to the advantage of antiX vs. some other distros to be in made fully productive OS (In case someone points me to Peppermint for this) is that unmatched recognition of the importance of antiX Live USB and provision of wonderful tools for that… Putting this together with your list of important things to consider would make a true productivity OS that can be carried on USB key that can be booted on any laptop at hand and have all mainstream productivity tools in a matter of seconds (well may be a minute…)

BobC

Yes, there will be people that would want it. They will be shocked at the performance difference.

Sorry, I deal with Win 10 all day, every day. It is a very frustrating experience. Anyway, it’s not for me, I’m afraid.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by BobC.
    seaken64

I recently played with Q4OS which has the old KDE interface (Trinity DE). They have a Windows 10 theme. Honestly, it’s weird. It does look like Windows 10, but of course it is linux. To me, I prefer to keep my Linux separate from Windows.

I like the ICEwm. The overall feel is similar to Win95/98/2000 as far as the menu goes. But beyond that there is not much similarity.

I’m sure there will be some who would like it. I suppose it depends on how much they know about what is going on beyond the interface. Don’t want people expecting antiX to actually BE Windows.

Seaken64

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.