I’m clueless on how get WiFi working on 32bit antiX19-full …

Forum Forums General Software I’m clueless on how get WiFi working on 32bit antiX19-full …

• This topic has 91 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated Jan 21-9:14 am by gf.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 92 total)
  • Author

Hi again,
    (running Antix19 32 bit live DVD…)
    I also tried: installing wicd and ceni via hardwire and did a full dist-upgrade.
    Used rfkill unblock all to unblock soft

wicd errors: could not connect to wicd’s D-Bus interface…” and “make sure wicd service is running”
    I went into control panel, startup services, put X’s along the whole line of wicd and removed all X’s from connman line.
    No help. same errors

Ceni scans and finds my network, accepts my passphrase, seems to set up ok (eth0 graphs show up in Conky). But no bytes come and go on the graphs.
    And in terminal, “sudo apt update” can’t connect to any servers.

Please let me know any other commands you’d like me to run, to help troubleshoot this issue.
    Take care
    G

capreacaprea

Yes, I like wicd as well and it has worked just fine in the past. I just tried out the latest (antiX-19.1-sid_386-core.iso) and it doesn’t seem to work on my notebook (I get kernel panic).
    Can you tell me which version of core you used?

32bit version as follows:
    antix-19_386-core.iso was used, 347MB download.
    wicd seems to work well with the three kernels I’ve tested so far, i.e. 4.4, 4.9 and 4.19 (all i686).

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by mikey777.
    • This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by mikey777.

Hello caprea and mikey for your replies,

caprea: Thanks for the link to that other solution.
    I tried to create the simlink and got the same error that terrybull got.
    Looking into the /etc/resolvconf/ folder
    It seems that the “run” is a sim link itself (not a directory)?
    See attached screen shot
    Thanks
    G

Attachments:
    capreacaprea

Hmm, just looked at it again, I think I did it the other way around
    OK. here’s what I did with spacefm to make ceni work.
    BTW many thanks to linuxdaddy for the background-picture.

Thanks for the idea, caprea. I will try it shortly.
    Yes, beautiful background
    🙂
    G

capreacaprea

Yes, beautiful background

It is.
    Good luck!

Attachments:

Thank you, Caprea. It works!
    I can now upgrade to AntiX 19 with confidence!
    Attached is the procedure document
    Thanks again
    🙂
    G

capreacaprea

Just now anticapitalista posted a possible solution for the connman problem, you might want try.
    https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/connman-not-connecting/

Thanks for the link, Caprea. That solution did not get connman working for me. But, no problem, ceni is now working just fine and I did a full install of AntiX 19.
    All good!
    Thanks for your help.
    Take care
    G

Unfortunately, I spoke too soon. Whenever I reboot, I lose the wireless connection again.

When I check the symlink properties, it says type: “(broken link)” and the icon in spaceFM is a plain page with an arrow.”

I noticed that when I shut down the system, among all the text on the screen is a line “grep – /etc/resolv.conf no such file or directory”

Does shutdown wreck the symlink?

To fix, I have to re-do the symlink and then re-set up ceni. But it is a hassle to do this every time I re-boot.

Any ideas?
    Thanks
    G

capreacaprea

That’s not so great. I’m clueless what is causing your broken symlink.
    Before posting the above procedure I checked it again on an installed antiX19 and it’s working here since then with ceni through many reboots.
    Hopefully someone has an idea how it’s caused on your system.
    A typo in the link destination would trigger it though, but then it wouldn’t work at all.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by caprea.

I just tried out the latest (antiX-19.1-sid_386-core.iso) and it doesn’t seem to work on my notebook (I get kernel panic).

Do you avoid kernel panic with the stable core version, i.e. antiX-19_386-core.iso ?

Caprea: Thanks for confirming that the symlink should continue after reboots. I installed a lot of software after installing v19 on my notebook. Perhaps that messed it up.
    Yes, I could have typed the symlink wrong. I will fresh install again and check the reboot-symlink issue *before* installing other software. 🙂

Mikey: that was for the 19.1-sid version of core. I will check version 19 stable core live on CD to see if I get the same response.

Thanks for continuing to help me on this.
    Take care
    G

I’m using live usb with 32bit antiX-19-full on a eeepc901 netbook. I couldn’t make connman work thru control center but had to go to a terminal for CLI. lspci did not show wifi adapter which confused me but I persisted and I gave these commands to connect to my home net.

1. connmanctl technologies
    –showed ethernet, wifi, bluetooth

2. connmanctl
    –waited for commands
    enable wifi

scan wifi

services

agent on

connect <wifi> (where <wifi> should be replaced with string of characters for your net from above)

–agent asks for passphrase or password or key
    –if correct, you will be connected

quit

I haven’t tried to learn why GUI doesn’t work but CLI does. Good luck.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 92 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.