I’m starting whit runit core to build up

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-21/22 “Grup Yorum” I’m starting whit runit core to build up

Tagged: 

• This topic has 11 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Nov 23-6:21 pm by BobC.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Daddy Libre

I’ve downloaded antiX-21-runit_386-core.iso, that seems fine ????, it work in Italian language whit no issue.
      I’m now working to add the minimum amount of gui I need to play with it (no rush to upgrade from 19.4).
      [Edit1]
      As dumb as I am I’ve discovered that installing icewm it’s not enough, and whit xorg the problem remains.
      After uninstall the two I will try something different. Than update you all.
      [Edit2]
      The base for my work, obviously, start running antix-cli-cc command.
      First off all let’s set some persistence, root and home (both ’cause I’m ignorant and newbie), so I cannot lost my “progress”.
      Reinstalled xorg and xserver-xorg-legacy.
      Looking for Xorg.0.log don’t make me joyful but it show no problem.
      In dmesg nothing alarming.
      Installing icewm it’s not enough (I know it) so I’ve added slim for login.
      Icewm don’t show (I) installed flag.
      Let’s try this.
      [Edit3]
      Slim says “failed to execute login command”

• This topic was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Daddy Libre. Reason: adding news
      • This topic was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Daddy Libre.
      • This topic was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Daddy Libre.
      Anonymous

Hi Daddy Libre,

Does typing startx load icewm?

Daddy Libre

Bash: startx: command not found

I’ve rebooted and all of the installed apps are gone, despite the persistence.

Reinstalled xorg and icewm I’ve run startx that report fatal error: AddScreen/Screening failed for driver 0

Forum Admin
          anticapitalista

Install xserver-xorg-legacy

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Daddy Libre

Done!

Install xserver-xorg-legacy

It surely helped… but also re-run all the installation as root probably makes the difference (I’m not a penguin, I’m a donkey).

Thanks a lot anticapitalista for all the effort and the extra juice you put on my system! ✊????

Thanks linuxdaddy too (expect some wallpaper on your topic “for gratitude” ????)

Anonymous

hi Daddy Libre,

if startx works as the root user then
                edit /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config as root.

sudo nano /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config

then add this at the end of it and save so the regular user can launch X.

needs_root_rights=yes

you might need … xserver-xorg-video-intel package if you have an intel video chip also.

Daddy Libre

I need to update this topic, it’s my responsibility to do that.
                  I’ve done nothing except fucking up my 4gb pendrive…
                  Meanwhile I’ve learned a lot for the next times.
                  So here some update on my journey:
                  – persistence doesn’t work well, for me, by antix-cli-cc but was successfully done with boot options
                  – I’ve surely messed up the space on my pendrive by compulsively trying things whitout a “fil rouge”, so for various boot options and various user I’ve build up nothing consistent apart from consuming space ????
                  – I don’t need a browser before the gui, next time I’m going to carefully choose the application I need.
                  – for some reason icewm doesn’t become blu in the application menù (confusing)
                  – using antix full and core it’s pretty different: for core you really need to know what you are doing
                  – my problems doesn’t seem related to runit, indeed it was very responsive and speedy.

Thanks a lot anticapitalista and linuxdaddy, again.

I will retry!

Brian Masinick

@DaddyLibre: in fairness to you and other people, antiX Core is intended for the experienced do it yourself person who has built up custom configurations for themselves and possibly others.

antiX Full is something that most people can handle, antiX Base gives most people enough to start with so if you want to choose the packages you want, that’s a good starting point.

Core and Net give you 100% control; Net has the smallest initial download but you must have a wired network connection available to download and install; neither of them is intended for the novice unless they want a ‘work from scratch’ minimal setup and want to learn how; I’d still start with another option and grow into them as you learn; they’re great once you understand what they do and how to use them!

--
                    Brian Masinick

Daddy Libre

I have always known that core is hard, but core is what I intended to use, just for my learning purposes ????, and I’ve learned something. That’s a good thing! ????
                      I’ve my antix 19.4 working, that’s enough! I would run some others flavours sideways to learn more but my focus, for now is on 19.4.
                      Helping in translation means I need to look at 21 somehow, so I enjoyed 21 too by joking with it!
                      I will return to the topic when I’ve news to share…they will come ✊????

Brian Masinick

I have always known that core is hard, but core is what I intended to use, just for my learning purposes ????, and I’ve learned something. That’s a good thing! ????
                        I’ve my antix 19.4 working, that’s enough! I would run some others flavours sideways to learn more but my focus, for now is on 19.4.
                        Helping in translation means I need to look at 21 somehow, so I enjoyed 21 too by joking with it!
                        I will return to the topic when I’ve news to share…they will come ✊????

As long as you accept the challenges, congratulations on accepting the challenges and learning.

--
                        Brian Masinick

christophe

Daddy Libre,

Enjoy the adventure. I think of antiX core as a set of blocks — Legos, or wooden, whatever you liked as a child. It’s fun to see what you can build. And what you can learn as you go.

I normally use a live-USB, so I can always just erase everything if it does not work right, and start over, without ruining my “normal” antiX system.

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2019

BobC

Maybe find a previous core build thread or video and follow along with it, first, then figure what you would want done differently, and do it again your way?

Daily driver distro https://www.antixforum.com

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.